This announcement is issued under the Direct Hire Authority (DHA) to recruit for positions for which there is a critical hiring need. Selectee(s) will receive a career or career-conditional appointment in the competitive service and may be required to serve a one year probationary period.
Who May be Considered:
- U.S. Citizens
- View common definitions of terms found in this announcement.
Joining the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) means being part of the team focused on securing the Nation's physical and cyber infrastructure against threats to public health and safety, economy, and national security.
Visit www.cisa.gov to learn more about CISA and how you can be part of the team to Defend Today; Secure Tomorrow.
This is an agency-wide position, which is comprised of several geographically separated divisions with a nationwide force: Infrastructure Security Division, Cybersecurity Division, Emergency Communications Division, National Risk Management Center and several organizational units. Typical work assignments include:
- Assisting with defining and managing information technology (IT) and/or cybersecurity related programs and/or projects, or other area of responsibility, to include strategic direction for program initiatives and activities, personnel, infrastructure, policy enforcement, emergency planning, IT and/or cybersecurity awareness, and/or other resources.
- Assisting with providing oversight to ensure program/project work is adhering to the larger strategic view developed by senior management at DHS and serving as the Point of Contact for elevating unexpected issues that may arise to senior leadership.
- Assisting with program/project resources, allocation plans, workforce development plans, budget forecasts, initiatives, and policies.
- Participating in ensuring that the work effort achieves the outcome as specified within the IT business strategies.
- Providing guidance to customers about applicability of information systems to meet business needs.
- Collaborating with stakeholders to establish the enterprise continuity of operations program, strategy, and mission assurance.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for up to 5 nights per month for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this position.
- You must successfully pass a background investigation.
- Selective Service registration required.
- You must be able to obtain and hold a Top Secret/SCI or lower level security clearance as identified by CISA.
- You must submit to a drug test and receive a negative test result prior to appointment to this position. After appointment, you may be subject to periodic random drug testing.
- Relocation expenses are not authorized. Other recruitment incentives may be authorized.
- New employees must serve a one year probationary period.
- This position has been designated exempt from bargaining unit representation under the national security provision of 5 U.S.C. § 7112(B)(6)
- All employees are required to participate in Direct Deposit/ Electronic Funds Transfer for salary payments.
- Applying to this announcement certifies that you give permission for DHS to share your application with others in DHS for similar positions..
- This position may be designated as essential personnel. Essential personnel must be able to serve during continuity of operation events without regard to declarations of liberal leave or government closures due to weather, protests, and acts of terrorism or lack of funding. Failure to report for or remain in this position may result in disciplinary or adverse action in accordance with applicable laws, rules, and regulations (5 U.S.C. § 7501-7533 and 5 CFR Part 752, as applicable).
- Any offers of employment made pursuant to this announcement will be consistent with all applicable authorities, including Presidential Memoranda, Executive Orders, interpretive U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) guidance, and Office of Management and Budget plans and policies concerning hiring. These authorities are subject to change.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- Appointments are subject to the availability of funds.
QualificationsThis is an open continuous announcement for 60 days. It will be used to fill immediate and future vacancies for this agency. There may be multiple cut-off dates with the first being 10 days after the initial opening date of 10/09/2020. Additional cut-off dates may be established as needed until all vacancies have been filled.
You qualify for the GS-9 grade level (starting salary $53,433.00) if you possess information technology related experience demonstrating each of the four required competencies:
- Attention to Detail - Performing work based on outlined guidelines and procedures;
- Customer Service -Providing support to system users;
- Oral Communication- Communicating technical information orally to non-technical audiences;
- Problem Solving- Providing established alternatives to resolve IT issues.
In addition to the above requirement you must have at least one year of full-time specialized experience equivalent to the GS-7 grade level in the federal government performing at least one of the following duties:
- Communicating computer network concepts to individuals seeking technological support;
- Providing support to ensure compliance of automated information system security protocols and procedures;
- Expressing technical information to staff to assist with security problem issues.
Have successfully completed two (2) full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's or equivalent graduate degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks. (You must submit your college transcripts to support your educational claims).
You qualify for the GS-11 grade level (starting salary $64,009.00) if you possess information technology related experience demonstrating each of the four required competencies:
- Attention to Detail - Reviewing IT systems to identify vulnerabilities;
- Customer Service- Assessing the needs of IT project stakeholders;
- Oral Communication- Communicating IT security requirements to stakeholders;
- Problem Solving- Providing recommendations to resolve IT and/or system issues.
In addition to the above requirement you must have at least one year of full-time specialized experience equivalent to the GS-9 grade level in the federal government performing at least one of the following duties:
- Assessing new system design methodologies to improve software quality;
- Conducting risk assessments of installed information systems to identify protection needs of activities;
- Ensuring integration of security protocols and risk management considerations throughout the IT system engineering life cycle; including planning, design, development, test, and integration;
- Ensuring continuous improvement efforts are considered and built into the program, including development and refinement of IT/cyber security policies and procedures and associated guidance documents.
Have successfully completed three (3) full years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to a Ph.D.; or successfully completed a Ph.D.; or LL.M., degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks at an accredited college or university in a field that provided the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work of the position. (You must submit your college transcripts to support your educational claims).
National Service Experience (i.e., volunteer experience): Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Current or Former Political Appointees: The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) must authorize employment offers made to current or former political appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C, Non-career SES or Presidential Appointee employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information to the Human Resources Office.
Qualifications Must Be Met
The qualification requirements listed above must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
Are you qualifying based on education? Submit a copy of your college transcript (unofficial is acceptable) or a list of coursework with hours completed. Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet Federal qualification requirements if you can show that your foreign education is comparable to education received in accredited educational institutions in the United States. For example, specific courses accepted for college-level credit by an accredited U.S. college or university, or foreign education evaluated by an organization recognized for accreditation by the Department of Education as education equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. college or university. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence with your application. See Recognition of Foreign Qualifications for more information.
DHS offers competitive salaries and an attractive benefits package, including: health, dental, vision, life, and long-term care insurance; retirement plan; Thrift Savings Plan [similar to a 401(k)]; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; personal leave days; and paid federal holidays. Other benefits may include: flexible work schedules; telework; tuition reimbursement; transportation subsidies; uniform allowance; health and wellness programs; and fitness centers. DHS is committed to employee development and offers a variety of employee training and developmental opportunities. For more information, go to the DHS Careers website and select Benefits. Disabled veteran leave will be available to any Federal employee hired on or after November 5, 2016, who is a veteran with a service-connected disability rating of 30 percent or more.
If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete an Optional Form 306, Declaration for Federal Employment, and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application, prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment, dismissal after beginning work, fine, or imprisonment.
DHS uses E-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
You are encouraged to apply online. If you are unable to apply online, please use the Alternate Application link listed in the Other Information section of this vacancy announcement. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply online if at all possible. Applying online, through your USAJOBS account, will expedite the application process and allow you to check your application status as well as verify the documentation submitted with your application. If you utilize the Alternate Application method, your USAJOBS account will not display this application and you will not receive status updates.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Under the provisions of the Direct-Hire Authority, veterans' preference does not apply.
We will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. If you meet the minimum qualifications, we will use a job questionnaire to further evaluate your experience, education, and training. The competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform this job are:
- Information Systems/Network Security
- Project Management
- Technical Competence
If you are determined qualified, you may be referred to the hiring manager for consideration and may be called for an interview. Preview the Assessment Questionnaire, click https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10926482.
Interagency/Career Transition Assistance Program (I/CTAP) Eligibles: If you have never worked for the federal government, you are not I/CTAP eligible. View information about I/CTAP eligibility on OPM's Career Transition Resources website. To be considered well qualified under I/CTAP, you must be rated at a minimum score of 85 for this position. In addition, you must submit the supporting documents listed under the required documents section of this announcement.
Interview Requirement: Interviews may be required for this position. Failure to complete the interview may result in removal from further consideration. The interview process may consist of a in-person or phone panel interview.
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
- Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment and duties performed
- Your responses to the job questionnaire
- Your college transcripts, if qualifying through education
- Are you claiming special priority selection rights under the Interagency/Career Transition Assistance Program (I/CTAP)? Submit:
- a copy of your agency notice,
- a copy of your most recent performance rating, and
- a copy of your most recent SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, noting your current position, grade level, and duty location.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
A complete application package must be received by 11:59PM (EST) on 07/31/2021 to receive consideration. To begin your online application:
- Click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire and submit the required documents. See Required Documents section for more detail.
- Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package. It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
- To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the More Information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- To return to saved application at a later date, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Agency contact information
Philadelphia Services Branch
AddressCybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency
245 Murray Lane, SW
Mail Stop 0380
Washington, DC 20528
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling on those who want to help protect American interests and secure our Nation. DHS Components work collectively to prevent terrorism; secure borders and our transportation systems; protect the President and other dignitaries; enforce and administer immigration laws; safeguard cyberspace; and ensure resilience to disasters. We achieve these vital missions through a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
The Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) leads the national effort to defend critical infrastructure against the threats of today, while working with partners across all levels of government and in the private sector to secure against the evolving risks of tomorrow. CISA's mission includes protecting the Federal Government's networks and physical infrastructure, to helping entities in the public and private sectors manage potential risk, to enhancing public safety communications at all levels of government. CISA's multi-faceted mission is home to a wide range of career fields including cybersecurity, program management, business administration, communications, and data science.
Once you submit your application, we will assess your experience and training, identify the best-qualified applicants, and refer those applications to the hiring manager for further consideration and interviews. We will notify you by email after each of these steps has been completed. Your status will also be updated on USAJOBS throughout the process. We expect to make a job offer within 30-60 days after the deadline for applications. If you are selected, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
View more information on applying for federal employment.
Thank you for your interest in the Department of Homeland Security, Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency!
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/581296700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.