The Defense Acquisition University (DAU) is the recognized leader as a corporate university, advancing the use of technology in all areas of education. The professional faculty and staff at DAU work in a strong team environment to continuously improve the ways we help our students learn by delivering the right knowledge and skills at the point of need. Come join this dynamic team using your expertise to make a real impact in the acquisition community.Learn more about this agency
- Serves as a Professor of Software Engineering Management with extensive experience and knowledge in modern software development methods (DevSecOps, Agile) and software product areas (Weapons Systems, AI, Cyber, etc), software assurance and provenance for large and complex military systems.
- Shares experiences, skills and knowledge of current statues, regulations and best practices with the acquisition workforce. Prepares the workforce to make the critical decisions required to provide technical oversight of requirements, development, testing, fielding and support of military hardware, software or information technology systems.
- Develops and conducts lectures, cases, simulations, workshops. Leads and facilitates student discussions, problems solving and presentations in resident and virtual environments.
- Performs as a "thinking partner" and consultant with acquisition customers and students, continuously improving product and service delivery to provide the right knowledge and skills at the point of need through mission assistance, workshops, classroom offerings and on-line resources.
- Creates learning asset content and coordinates with learning asset and technology subject matter experts within the enterprise for development of curriculum, to modify assets and enhance delivery methods as needed.
- Prepares course materials (student and instructor) according to current instructional systems design technology and develops course schedules.
- Develops and analyzes student assessments, and provides student counseling to ensure the highest degree of learning.
- Develops or contributes to development of online assets (e.g. courses, podcasts, videos) that customers can leverage in the absence of direct access to DAU faculty.
- Participates in professional research to ensure curriculum currency and to enhance the skill set and processes in your field of expertise.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
25% or less - You may be expected to travel 25% for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Must be a US Citizen
- Must have a Degree in Engineering
- Experience: In-depth knowledge and experience in developing and acquiring software for National Security Systems (NSS) or Defense Business Systems (DBS) programs or industry equivalent.
- Demonstrated software assurance, design, planning, provenance, testing, implementation and maintenance efforts to support the planning and execution of acquisition programs from a government or industry perspective.
- Demonstrated successful leadership and performance within the defense (government) sector or private (commercial) sectors related to DoD software or IT systems development and acquisition is required.
- Experience in problem solving using critical thinking for software assessment, especially as it applies to planning and execution functions.
- Experience in managing software development projects using AGILE methods is required.
- Experience in developing, creating, acquiring, configuring, deploying and implementing DevSecOps is required.
- Experience in developing, creating, acquiring, configuring, deploying and implementing Cloud Services is highly desired.
- Ability to develop learning objectives and corresponding content with the ability to identify major takeaways, manage test banks and curriculum
- Demonstrated ability to consult with clients, virtually and in-person, in areas related to software development, testing, fielding and implementation.
- Ability to teach and facilitate adult learning. Proficiency in resident and virtual learning delivery methods such as guided discussions, short lectures, role plays, problem based learning and case studies is highly desired.
- Experience in coaching individuals and/or programs through complex issues.
- DAWIA certification in the Information Technology or Engineering career fields is highly desired.
- Professional certifications such as AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional, DevOps Foundation Certification, DevSecOps Leader (DOL) Certification, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP), ScrumMaster (CSM), ), ICAgile Certified Professional in Agile Coaching (ICP-ACC), AWS Cloud Computing Certification are desired
A degree in Engineering is required
DAU has a comprehensive benefits package that includes retirement, social security, and thrift savings; health, life, and long term care insurance; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays. DAU employees enjoy flexible work schedules, transit subsidy, and the opportunity to telecommute.
For additional information on specific health benefits, life insurance, retirement, etc. please visit: http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/index.asp.
For additional information on the Thrift Savings Plan please visit: http://www.tsp.gov.
For additional Veteran's information please visit: http://www.usajobs.gov/ei/VetPreference.asp or http://www.fedshirevets.gov
- This a Critical Acquisition Position.
- Typical courses are 1 to 2 weeks in duration. Instruction is provided in government classroom facilities under the construct of generally seeking to take the instruction to the students.
- If selected for this position, you are subject to the completion of a satisfactory background investigation.
- You will be required to become a member of the Acquisition Corps. DoD instruction 5000.58R specifies qualification standards for Corps membership (waiver of some of these standards is possible in the limited circumstances described in the instruction).
- You will be required to join the DAU Faculty Plan as established by Title 10 of the US Code. This position is in the excepted service (non-career). Candidates currently in the competitive service will be required to sign a statement indicating that they are leaving the competitive services voluntarily to accept an appointment in the excepted service.
- Initial appointment is made for a period of four years, conditional upon satisfactory completion of a DAU probationary period of one year. Every year, as part of an annual review, consideration is given to extending the appointment; thus service at DAU can be extended indefinitely.
- If selected for this position, you MUST be able to begin work within 30 days of acceptance
- Initial Probationary Period: You will be required to serve an initial probationary period of 1 year if one has not already been completed.
- Drug Testing: This position may be subject to random drug testing.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Traditional rating and ranking of applications does not apply to this vacancy. Your application (resume and supporting documentation) will be evaluated to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications required as listed on the announcement under qualification requirements.
Veterans' preference eligibility is treated as a positive factor when making a selection from external sources. It is applied when the organization makes a final selection from the candidates with substantially equal qualifications as described in the Best Meets Mission Requirements definition below. If you are a veteran claiming veterans' preference, as defined by section 2108 of Title 5 U.S.C., you must submit documents verifying your eligibility with your application package.
Best Meets Mission Requirements definition: Applicant has the knowledge, skills, abilities, and/or competencies to substantially exceed the minimum qualification requirements for the position. This equates to the best qualified assessment criteria established for the vacancy and based on overall demonstrated experience, education, training, appraisals/evaluations, job-related awards, certifications, honors and relevant outside activities.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.Appropriate experts within the Defense Acquisition University will evaluate applications. Salary determination is based on the requirements of the position as well as the qualifications of the selected applicant as aligned with the evaluation criteria for each Pay Band. Additional information can be found at:https://daunet.dau.mil/faculty/Faculty%20Documents/FPES%20Chapter%201%20Civilian%20Faculty%20Plan.pdf.
Pay Band A: Minimum Prerequisites You must possess a Bachelor's Degree in a related area from an accredited college or university and have at least 4 years of experience in the appropriate functional area in either government or industry.
Pay Band B: Minimum Prerequisites You must possess a Master's Degree in a related area from an accredited college or university and at least 6 years of experience in the appropriate functional area in either a government or industry.
Pay Band C: Minimum Prerequisites You must possess a Master's Degree in a related area from an accredited college or university and at least 8 years of experience in the appropriate functional area in either a government or industry.
1. You must have achieved DAWIA Level III certification in System's Engineering or have the ability to obtain this certification within 24 months of appointment.
2. If selected for this position, you MUST be able to begin work within 30 days of acceptance.
3. You will be required to join the DAU Faculty Plan as established by Title 10 of the US Code. This position is in the excepted service (non-career). All selectees will be required to successfully complete a 12-month probationary period.
Selectees currently in the competitive service will be required to sign a statement indicating that they are leaving the competitive services voluntarily to accept a term appointment with a 12-month probationary period in the excepted service.
4. If selected for this position, you are subject to the completion of a satisfactory background investigation.
5. This position may be subject to periodic drug testing.
You must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Résumé: The latest resume submitted will be used to determine qualifications.
- Complete Assessment Questionnaire
- Other Supporting Documents
- SF-50 - (If applicable) Notification of Personnel Action for current or former federal employees- with the exception of current permanent DAU employees, please provide your most recent SF50 or the SF50 reflecting Career/Career-Conditional tenure and the highest grade held on a permanent basis.
- Performance Appraisal: Current or previous federal employees.
- Other documents identified in the announcement.
- If you claim Veteran's Preference
- You must submit a copy of your DD Form-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty", showing the dates of active duty service, type of discharge and the character of service. Alternatively, If you are a current military member in active duty service and do not have a copy of your DD Form-214, you must submit a written documentation (certification) from your branch of service certifying that you are expected to be discharged or released from active duty under honorable conditions no later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted with your application for this position. The certification should also include your rank, dates of active duty service and what they condition of discharge is thought to be.
- If claiming 10-point preference and/or are a 30% or more Disabled Veteran, you must submit both a DD Form-214 or expected discharge documentation as described above AND a copy of a letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) or your branch of service certifying the presence of service-connected disability and indicating the percentage of disability
- If you are claiming eligibility based on 10-point derived veterans' preference (i.e. a spouse, widow/widower, or parent of a veteran claiming veterans' preference when the veteran is unable to use it), you must also submit a Standard Form 15 (SF-15) "Application for 10-Point Veteran's Preference" and any required documents indicated on the SF-15 to substantiate the claimed preference.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package. See required documents below.
Click 'Apply Online' to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account.
1. Follow the prompts to complete the assessment questionnaire and upload required documents.
2. Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application.
3. Check application status by logging into your USAJOBS account, clicking Application Status, then More Information for this position. Return to an incomplete application by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Agency contact information
HR Customer Care Center
AddressDEFENSE ACQUISITION UNIVERSITY
9820 Belvoir Road
Ft. Belvoir, VA 22060
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Defense Acquisition University, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. ALL eligible candidates will be forwarded to DAU for consideration. DAU will have a panel review all applicants and will contact individuals for interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps has been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to drive status updates notification for applicants. You can elect to activate the proactive notification from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process to sign-up for automatic alerts when there are status changes for jobs to which you have applied.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/580033400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.