About the Position: The U.S. Military Academy, West Point, NY is an academic institution located in the Hudson River Valley, 50 miles from New York City. The historic site is the oldest continuously occupied military post in America. West Point is a self-contained city with housing, a Department of Public Works, libraries, hospital, fire department, chapels, and restaurants. Employees have access to Eisenhower Hall Theater, Hudson Valley's performing arts center, and recreational facilities.Learn more about this agency
- You will be assigned to the Character Development and Integration Directorate to determine ways to collect, manage, and analyze data that measure the impact of character development activities across the United States Military Academy
- You will use inductive and deductive reasoning to interpret data, assess the culture of character growth, identify character trends, and measure training effectiveness across all character programs and initiatives.
- You will collaborate with senior managers and decision makers to identify and solve a variety of problems, enhance decision-making, and to clarify management objectives.
- You will conduct faculty development to improve facilitation of character discussions, produce leaders of character within a culture of character growth.
- You will meet regularly with the Lead Integrator of the United States Military Academy's character program to govern character development and integrate character assessment with the Academy's data collection and assessment initiatives.
- You will teach courses and produce scholarship related to research design, program assessment, data management, econometrics, behavioral economics, statistics and/or character development as required.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- Position may include working selected weekends, evenings, and holidays.
- This position may have a Temporary Duty (TDY) or business travel requirement of up to 5% of the time.
*** This is a reannouncement of BRF200026. Those who previously applied do not need to reapply to be considered.***
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens and Non-Citizens with Allegiance to the United States.
This is an academic-tenure track position with an initial term appointment in the excepted service not to exceed 2 years. Term appointments may be extended beyond the initial term. Faculty that attain the academic rank of Associate Professor or Professor may have the opportunity to non-competitively receive a permanent appointment. As a term employee you will be eligible for health insurance, life insurance, retirement, dental and vision. You will be eligible to earn annual leave and sick leave.
Applicants must (a) hold a bachelor's degree that included or was supplemented by major study in education or in a subject matter field appropriate to the position, OR (b) possess a combination of education and experience -- courses equivalent to a major in education, or in a subject-matter field appropriate to the position, plus appropriate experience or additional course work that provided knowledge comparable to that normally acquired through the successful completion of the 4-year course of study described above.
SELECTIVE PLACEMENT FACTORS/KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Applicants will be evaluated on the following factors: 1) Academic Accomplishment (Ph.D. in psychology, philosophy/ethics, organizational studies, adult education, history, race and gender studies or in a subject matter related to the position is preferred); 2) Demonstrated ability to teach at the college level; 3) Experience with the scholarship and stewardship responsibilities of professions; 4) Experience in curriculum development, assessment, and integration across interdisciplinary programs; 5) Experience effectively communicating with leaders in an organization, building effective relationships, and conducting workshops, committees, and conferences designed to promote the intellectual, social, and physical welfare of students.
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at - http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Please submit your foreign education evaluation with your application.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct deposit of pay is required.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 31 - Education Services position.
- You may claim military spouse preference (MSP).
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
- This is a reannouncement of announcement number BRF200026. Those who applied to BRF200026 do not need to reapply to be considered for this position.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Your application package (resume/curriculum vitae and supporting documents) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
1. Cover Letter
2. Resume/Curriculum vitae: Your resume or curriculum vitae may be submitted in any format and must support the Knowledge, Skills and Abilities described in this announcement. If your resume or curriculum vitae includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy. For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
3. Academic Transcripts. This position has an individual occupational requirement. You MUST submit a copy of your academic transcripts with your application package. See: Transcripts and License.
4. Writing sample consisting of a technical report, published article, or information paper with the applicant as the sole or primary author.
5. Two (2) Letters of Recommendation
6. Three (3) Reference Contacts
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s), which may not be required for all applicants: 1. You MUST submit documents verifying your veteran's preference or military spouse preference if you are claiming these preferences. These documents may include, but are not limited to: for MSP claims, PCS orders and marriage certificate; for verification of Veteran status, DD214 (which indicates character of service), SF-15, VA Letter as applicable and/or Activation/Deactivation orders. 2. If you are currently serving on active duty: A statement of service from your unit identifying the branch of service, period(s) of service, campaign badges or expeditionary medals earned, type of discharge, character of service, and the date you will be separated or be on approved terminal leave. If you supply a statement of service at this stage, your preference/eligibility will be verified by a DD214 (Member 4 Copy) upon separation from the military. For more information about Veteran's Preference, please click this link: http://www.opm.gov/employ/veterans/ html/vetguide.asp.
If you fail to provide these required documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
Proof of Eligibility to Apply: Your application must include the documents which prove you are eligible to apply for the vacancy. The Proof of Eligibility document describes authorities commonly used in merit promotion recruitment and what document(s) are required to prove you meet the requirements of the authority. You must meet the requirements of at least one of the authorities listed in the Who May Apply section above to receive further consideration.
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person's personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete application package. Application packages must include:
1. Cover Letter
2. Resume or Curriculum Vitae;
3. Academic Transcripts;
4. Writing sample consisting of a technical report, published article, or information paper with the applicant as the sole or primary author;
5. Two (2) Letters of Recommendation;
6. Three (3) Reference Contacts;
7. DD 214, if claiming veteran's preference; and,
8. Copy of Sponsor's Permanent Change of Station orders and marriage certificate, if claiming military spouse preference.
In order to receive full consideration, applications should be postmarked or received by the closing date of the announcement.
Submit your full application package via email to the following address (electronic submissions preferred):
United States Military Academy
Attention: Lieutenant Colonel Matthew S. Arbogast
West Point, New York 10996
Agency contact information
Army Applicant Help Desk
AddressBR-APF-W1FBAA US MILITARY ACADEMY
DO NOT MAIL
West Point, NY 10996
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
Requests for further information may be submitted to:
United States Military Academy
Attention: Lieutenant Colonel Matthew S. Arbogast
West Point, New York 10996
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/579985600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.