These positions will be filled in one of the following GAO Teams, located in Washington, DC (HQ) or a Field Office (Boston, MA; Oakland, CA; Seattle, WA): GAO Teams List
Applied Research and Methods (ARM)
Education, Workforce, and Income Security (EWIS)Learn more about this agency
The GAO is seeking experienced professionals to serve as a Senior Economist; responsible for providing economics research in support of GAO engagements, and performing advanced economic analyses of federal programs and policies. Specifically, the incumbent:
- Identifies economic issues and participates in design, data collection and analysis, message development, and report writing.
- Develops econometric analyses of economic, financial, and administrative data to assess the efficiency and effectiveness of federal programs and policies.
- Applies advanced economic concepts and tools to the evaluation of federal programs and policies. Assesses economic trade-offs associated with federal programs and policies, including their impact on individuals, businesses, markets, prices and quantities.
- Critically evaluates economic research conducted by federal agencies, academics and other experts to determine quality, relevance and implications for federal programs and policies.
- Reviews draft reports to ensure accuracy, precision, and clarity of presentation of economic issues and data.
- Clearly communicates in writing the methods and conclusions of advanced economic and econometric analyses and evaluations of economic research.
- Presents results of economic research in formal and informal settings, including message agreement discussions, team meetings, and briefings for Congressional staff.
- In collaboration with multi-disciplinary team members, develops findings and recommendations and prepares GAO products that provide factual and analytical information in a clear, balanced manner that meets the needs of congressional clients.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship is required.<br>
- Completion of a financial disclosure statement is required.<br>
- Must be able to meet/maintain suitability & security requirements.<br>
- Completion of a probationary period is required.<br>
- Selective Service registration if you are a male born after Dec. 31, 1959.
You must possess the education and specialized experience as described to be determined basically qualified for this position.
All requirements must be met before the closing date of the announcement.
In addition to the education requirement, applicants must have 1 year (52 weeks) of specialized experience at the next lower band or level equivalent to the GS-12 in the federal service, or comparable private or public sector experience. For this position, specialized experience is defined as experience applying statistical research techniques to collect and interpret data and developing new economic models or theories under the supervision of a senior researcher, such as a faculty member or manager.
You must also meet the following Selective Placement Factor (SPF):
Experience authoring economics research papers that provide evidence of knowledge of current advanced economic theories and research techniques in applied economics.
A writing sample, such as a research paper, that provides evidence of knowledge of current advanced economic theories and research techniques in applied economics must be submitted as part of your application package.
You must meet all qualifications requirements before the closing date of this announcement.
Economist Series, 0110 Qualification Standard
A. Degree in economics that included at least 21 semester hours in economics and 3 semester hours in statistics, accounting, or calculus;
B. Combination of education and experience - courses equivalent to a major in economics, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
**YOU MUST SUBMIT A COPY OF YOUR TRANSCRIPT SHOWING THIS COURSEWORK. FAILURE TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN LOSS OF CONSIDERATION.**
This is a bargaining unit position.
Based on the staffing needs, additional selections may be made through this vacancy announcement.
Selectee will be required to file a Financial Disclosure Statement. (if applicable)
Travel and relocation expenses will not be paid for by the GAO.
Males born after 12/31/59 and at least 18 years of age must be registered with the Selective Service System. Visit SSS.
Selectees will be required to complete questions contained on the Declaration for Federal Employment (OF-306) at the time a tentative job offer is made. At the time of appointment, selectees will be required to update the OF-306.
Selectees will be subject to a determination of suitability for Federal employment.
GAO provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. To request accommodation, please email ReasonableAccommodation@gao.gov.
GAO's policy is to provide equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
GAO is part of the Legislative Branch of the Federal government. As such, all positions are in the excepted service. Initial appointments, permanent or indefinite, to the GAO require completion of a probationary period.
How You Will Be Evaluated
If you meet the qualification requirements stated, you will be further rated based on your responses to the assessment questions. Please make sure that your responses to the assessment questions are supported in your resume.
Please follow all instructions carefully. If you provide incomplete answers, fail to provide a narrative response to any assessment question(s) that requires further explanation, or if your response to an assessment question is "see resume”, your rating may be affected or you may be determined ineligible.
All applicants will be rated based on their responses to the assessment questions, in conjunction with the following Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA’s):
• Knowledge of advanced economics including theories and empirical techniques relevant to conducting research studies in applied economics.
• Ability to independently develop and perform analyses of complex economic issues.
• Knowledge of econometric techniques for the analysis of large data files and sensitivity analysis techniques when using econometric models.
• Ability to develop findings and author reports that adequately inform on the merits and limitations of an economic analysis
• Skill at oral and written communications while working in a collaborative environment.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
You must provide a complete application package which includes:
- Resume: Must be created using the USAJOBS resume builder and show relevant work experience.
- SF-50: Current and former federal employees eligible for reinstatement must submit a copy of your most recent Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50) that indicates Federal status, grade, tenure and type of service.
- A writing sample (e.g. research paper) that provides evidence of knowledge of current advanced economic theories and research techniques in applied economics.
- Transcripts: If you are using your education to qualify (even partially), you must submit a copy of your transcripts. Foreign Education: If you are submitting a transcript from a non-US educational institution, applicants must submit all necessary documents to a private U.S. organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign educational credentials, commonly called a credential evaluation service. For additional information, please visit: Foreign Education
- Veteran Hiring Authority Eligibles: VEOA, VRA, and 30% Disabled Veterans must submit adequate proof of active service in the Armed Forces including Member 4 copy of your DD-214, which indicates character of service. To claim 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15 and a letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs verifying the percentage of your disability and preference in hiring. To claim 5-Point veterans' preference, you must submit a Member 4 copy of the DD - 214 or if you are currently active duty: an official statement of service from your command.
- Disability: If you are applying under the Schedule A hiring Authority for individuals with disabilities you must submit proof disability.
If you fail to submit any of the documentation listed above your application will be considered incomplete, and will result in loss of consideration.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Individuals selected will be eligible for a full range of federal employment benefits including vacation and sick leave, retirement coverage and Thrift Savings Plan, and health and life insurance. Benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
You are required to apply online for this announcement.
1. To apply on-line, you must create a resume using the USAJOBS resume builder and submit an application by accessing the USAJOBS website at http://www.usajobs.gov. To begin, click the Apply Online button near the bottom of this screen and follow the prompts to register into your USAJOBS account, answer the questions, and submit all required documents. Follow the prompts to begin the application process.
2. You will be redirected to the Career Connector website to complete the application process.
3. Click on "Submit" to transmit your complete application package to GAO.
Can I send my application package documents to the agency point-of-contact via email or mail?
Your application package must be submitted online through Career Connector. We are unable to accept mailed or emailed documents.
What is a complete application package?
1. Your resume. This must be created using the USAJOBS resume builder. Resumes created outside USAJOBS (e.g., uploaded resumes) will not be accepted.
2. The assessment questionnaire.
3. The documentation listed in the Required Documents section. You only need to submit the documents listed.
When is the application package due?
It must be received by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on the closing date of the announcement. It is your responsibility to ensure all the documents are received and the information is readable. Your application may not be considered if it doesn't meet the criteria. Requests for extensions will not be granted.
If you have problems completing your on-line application, including problems submitting your supporting documents, please contact the Help Desk by e-mail at email@example.com or by phone at (866) 656-6831. The help desk is available Monday-Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. ET
1. Sign into your USAJOBS account.
2. If your application package was successfully transmitted, you will see "Received" beside the position title. Keep in mind, this may take a couple hours because your documents undergo a virus scan.
3. To view your documents or the complete application package received by GAO, select "Application Status." The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application.
If you have questions about:
• The vacancy announcement or the position: The agency contact is listed at the bottom of the announcement.
• Technical issues with USAJOBS: Please refer to the USAJOBS Help page.
• Technical issues with Career Connector: Please contact CareerConnectorHelp@do.treas.gov.
Agency contact information
AddressGOVERNMENT ACCOUNTABILITY OFFICE
441 G Street NW
Washington, District of Columbia 20548
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Government Accountability Office, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
After the closing date of this announcement, GAO's Human Capital Office will conduct an evaluation of your qualifications and determine your rating and/or ranking. Your assessment questionnaire and resume will be used to complete this analysis, so please be as complete and thorough as possible. If your application is rated "best-qualified," your name will be referred to the selecting official for consideration. At this point you may be contacted for an interview.
If you do not meet the key requirements and/or basic qualifications or you fail to submit all required application materials, your application will not be considered.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/579460900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.