Who May Apply:
Basic Requirement for Engineering:
A Bachelor's degree or equivalent is required, please refer to the General Schedule Qualification Standards Basic Requirements for Engineering Series
for education requirements. (NOTE: Applicants MUST submit/upload a copy of the transcripts with the application package. For application purposes, unofficial transcripts are acceptable.)
In addition to the basic requirement listed above, you must show that you possess the five Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) and the Mandatory Technical Qualifications (MTQs) listed below.
Applicants will be assessed against qualifications which fall into two areas: Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) and Mandatory Technical Qualifications (MTQs). Failure to provide a separate narrative statement which describes fully and concisely how your experience meets the competencies described in the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) and Mandatory Technical Qualifications (MTQs) will eliminate you from consideration.
EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS: You will be assessed against the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs).They are designed to assess executive experience and potential - not technical expertise. They measure whether you have the broad executive skills needed in a variety of senior executive positions. Failure to meet a qualification requirement will disqualify an applicant. (Each must be addressed separately in your Supplemental Narrative Statement. The ECQs must not exceed 10 pages.)
The ECQs describe the leadership skills needed to succeed as an SES; they also reinforce the concept of an "SES corporate culture." Refer to the OPM Guide to SES Qualifications for specific information and guidance on the ECQ requirements, the C-C-A-R model, and examples of good qualifications statements at the website: (https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/senior-executive-service/reference-materials/guidetosesquals_2012.pdf
More information on these core qualifications are available at (http://www.opm.gov/ses/recruitment/ecq.asp)
(Note: Current career Senior Executive Service (SES); former career Senior Executive Service (SES) who are reinstatement-eligible; and graduates of OPM-certified Candidate Development Programs are not required to address the ECQs, but must address the Mandatory Technical Qualifications.)
1. Leading Change: This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
2. Leading People: This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent in this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
3. Results Driven: This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent in the ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high- quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
4. Business Acumen: This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
5. Building Coalitions: This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, state and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
MANDATORY TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS: (Each must be addressed separately in your Supplemental Narrative Statement. Each MTQ must not exceed 2 pages.)
1. Demonstrated technical expertise in the field of microelectronics advanced technology and systems engineering supporting Weapons Systems programs.
2. Demonstrated experience and knowledge providing policy guidance and technical direction on emerging technologies, technology development, trust and assurance methodologies, and sustainment in the area of microelectronics.
3. Demonstrated experience leading multifunctional and complex organizations, people, and teams in planning, overseeing, and executing a research and development organization and establishing partnership with industries, academia and other government agencies.
4. Demonstrated competency in building relationships, negotiating, resolving conflicts, balancing competing priorities, working in a fast-paced environment, and achieving results across internal and external Department of Defense stakeholders.
DoD Joint Enterprise-Wide Experience Statement:
In addition, DoD requires an Enterprise Perspective. This individual must have the ability to apply a broad point of view and an awareness and understanding of individual or organizational responsibilities in relation to DoD or government-wide strategic priorities is required. Executives must demonstrate ability to work with internal and external partners to support national security objectives. This perspective is typically gained through a variety of diverse work experiences. A separate narrative statement is not required. This information should be embedded within the application package (Resume, Technical Qualifications and Executive Core Qualifications).
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.