The Clinical Center Nursing Department service areas include Oncology and Critical Care (OCC); Neuroscience, Behavioral Health and Pediatrics (NBHP), Medical Surgical Specialties (MSS), Perioperative Nursing, Interventional Radiology, and more.Learn more about this agency
See "Next Steps" section for detailed information on the application process.
If selected for this position, your duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Exercising the full domain of practice for the clinical research nurse specialty that includes providing clinical care to research patients, supporting protocol implementation, data collection, continuity of care, human subjects protection and dissemination of clinical research findings.
- Utilizing advanced critical thinking and nursing skills to assess, plan, perform and evaluate nursing care for individual patients, patient's families and significant others who are participants in biomedical research protocols.
- Identifying and communicating the impact of research processes on patient care.
- Reporting to the research team any intervention adjustments based on issues and variances found through evidence-based nursing practices.
- Supporting biomedical research through detailed observation, measurements and data collection related to pertinent assessments as defined by the protocol specifications and the nurse's clinical judgment.
- Documenting observations, identifying trends and effectively communicating this information to the multidisciplinary research team and nursing colleagues.
- Providing feedback to colleagues and investigators on all issues affecting the quality of the research endeavor.
- Assisting less-experienced nurses to learn the specifics of studies or protocols.
- Evaluating patient trends in outcomes and compliance.
- Contributing to the design of clinical trials.
- Providing patient-focused nursing care within an interdisciplinary team by collaborating with team members to create and communicate a plan of care that balances clinical care needs with research needs and allows for safe and effective collection of clinical research data.
- Contributing to multidisciplinary rounds and activities regarding patient care and protocol implementation.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship or proof of being a U.S. National is required.
- Position is subject to a background investigation.
- Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- If selected, you must pass a pre-employment medical examination.
- This position has the following minimum qualification requirements: nurse education, license and specialized experience.
- This position requires the incumbent to be able to lift and move items weighing up to 70lbs.
- This position may require the following work shifts: nights, rotational, holidays, on-call, call-back or weekends.
- This position is designated as Tier-1 Emergency Essential. See Additional Information section for specific details on this designation.
In order to meet the minimum qualification requirements for the GS-0610-11, Nurse (Clinical Research) position (click here for OPM Nurse Qualification Standards), you must meet all of the following requirements:
EducationA. Successful completion of a diploma, associate's degree, bachelor's degree or master's degree from a professional nursing educational program AND at least one full year of professional nursing experience (equivalent to the GS-9 grade level);
B. Successful completion of a PhD or equivalent doctoral degree from a professional nursing educational program or related medical science field.
This education must have been accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs, Accreditation Commission for Midwifery Education, or an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education at the time the degree was obtained.
Official certification from the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools is required for individuals who graduated from foreign nursing schools.
LicenseA. Possess a current, active, full and unrestricted license or registration as a professional nurse from a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
B. You must have passed the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) or you obtained licensure before the implementation of the NCLEX-RN. Individuals who have not passed the NCLEX-RN, but meet all other qualification requirements will be subject to a comprehensive evaluation of both their education and experience prior to final appointment.
Specialized ExperienceA. Successful completion of a PhD or equivalent doctoral degree from a professional nursing educational program or related medical science field;
B. Successful completion of a diploma, associate's degree, bachelor's degree or master's degree from a professional nursing educational program AND at least one full year of professional nursing experience at the GS-09 level in the federal service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: providing comprehensive nursing care to patients based on the physician's medical care plan and the physical, mental and emotional needs of the patient; administering oxygen, IV fluid, blood transfusions and prescribed oral, subcutaneous and intramuscular medications; managing nasal-pharyngeal and gastric suction as well as a variety of other drainage tubes; preparing patients for surgical and/or diagnostic procedures; setting-up, operating and monitoring specialized equipment such as cardiac monitors, respirators, defibrillators, etc.; providing care in a variety of clinical settings, such as Inpatient Patient Care Units (e.g. oncology, pediatric, neurology, behavioral health), ICU, Operating Room, PACU, Donor Services, Infusion Centers and Ambulatory Clinics.
Do not copy and paste the duties, specialized experience, or occupational assessment questionnaire from this announcement into your resume as that will not be considered a demonstration of your qualifications for this position.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Preview assessment questionnaire before you apply: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10851936
The Ideal Candidate will have recent acute care (hospital) experience in their specialty area (i.e. Pediatrics, ICU, Perioperative, Ambulatory, Medical Surgical, etc.).
This announcement covers multiple areas within the NIH Clinical Center Nursing Department:
Inpatient Units: Rotating shifts (may include weekends, holidays, evening and nights)
Medical and Transplant
Pediatric Behavioral Health
Special Clinical Studies Unit
Outpatient Clinics: Primarily Monday-Friday 7-4:30 with occasional extended hours
Hematology and Oncology
Health Infectious Disease
Medical Surgical Specialties
Specialty Areas: (May include weekends and on-call)
Day Hospital/Infusion Center (Oncology, Pediatrics, Medical Surgical)
Care Coordination and Case Management
This position has an education requirement. You are strongly encouraged to submit a copy of your transcripts (or a list of your courses including titles, credit hours completed and grades). Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application package. Official transcripts will be required from all selectees prior to receiving an official offer. Click here for information on Foreign Education.
This Open Continuous announcement establishes a list of qualified applicants to be considered for Permanent Full-Time and Part-Time Nurse (Clinical Research) vacancies as they occur. The first list of eligible applicants will be sent to Hiring Managers on July 31, 2020 which includes all applicants who self-certify their eligibility by July 28, 2020, 11:59 PM (EST). Subsequent cut-off dates will be established based on the date a request for a List of Eligible Applicants is received from the Hiring Manager to fill a vacancy. We will issue separate lists based on Career and Interagency Transition Claims. Only those applicants who self-identify as being qualified will be placed on the List of Eligibles. If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- This position is designated as an "emergency essential" position and the selected candidate will be considered an "emergency essential" employee and will be required to be available, ready, willing, and able to report for duty under all circumstances (e.g., inclement weather, government closings and holidays, lapses in appropriations, non-emergency and emergency situations) for operation 24 hours a day and 365 days per year coverage.
- A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
- PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps should also apply online to this announcement in order to receive consideration.
- We may make additional selections for similar positions within the commuting area(s) of the locations listed through this vacancy announcement.
- The National Institutes of Health participates in the USCIS Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify helps employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their Social Security numbers.
- The NIH maintains a tobacco free work environment and campus.
How You Will Be Evaluated
The position(s) advertised in this announcement are covered by a direct hire authority. Traditional rating and ranking of applicants, including category rating, does not apply to this vacancy. You will be initially evaluated against the basic qualifications only. Qualified applicants will be referred for consideration in accordance with the Office of Personnel Management direct hire guidelines. Veterans' Preference does not apply to positions covered by a direct hire authority.
To determine your qualifications and referral status, a review of your resume and supporting documentation may be made and compared against your responses to the vacancy questionnaire. Because your rating is based on both your responses to the questionnaire and documentation you submit, please make sure that your self-ratings are supported by the information you provide in your application. Your qualifications and self-ratings may be verified at any time during the application and selection process through quality review, interview questions, work samples, demonstrations, reference checks, and any other means. Inflated or unsupported qualifications may affect your rating. Any misrepresentation or material omission of facts on the assessment questionnaire or in any other materials you submit in support of your candidacy (including but not limited to the application), or in any oral statements you may make during the selection process shall be sufficient cause to end further consideration of your candidacy. Persons listed as having knowledge of your past accomplishments or experience in your application may be contacted for verification purposes at any time. Verification may, but need not, begin prior to receiving an offer.
To be considered well qualified for the purposes of the Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) and the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), you must demonstrate that you substantively exceed the basic qualifications and meet all eligibility, physical, medical, suitability, and all other requirements.
REQUIRED FOR ALL APPLICANTSRESUME:
Your resume must thoroughly describe how your skills and experiences align to the criteria defined in the "Qualifications" section of this announcement and it must support your responses to the assessment questionnaire. We cannot assume you have performed the necessary experience required for this position regardless of your employment history or academic career.
To ensure all of the essential information is in your resume, we encourage you to use theUSAJOBS online Resume Builder. If you choose to use your own resume, you must ensure it contains all of the required information and you organize it so we can associate the following information for each experience/position:
- Job title
- Name of employer
- Beginning and ending dates of employment (month/day/year format)
- Hours worked per week. We will assume full-time unless otherwise stated. We will prorate part-time employment in crediting experience.
- Detailed description of job duties, accomplishments, related skills, and responsibilities to include any supervisory/managerial responsibilities and number of staff supervised (if applicable)
- Series and grade or equivalent (if a federal position)
Do not include a photograph or video of yourself, or any sensitive information (age, date of birth, marital status, protected health information, religious affiliation, social security number, etc.) on your resume or cover letter. We will not access web pages linked on your resume or cover letter to determine your qualifications.
For resume writing guidance, please visit the following resources: NIH Jobs website, USAJOBS Resource Center, and the USAJOBS Resume Writing Video Tutorial.
You must submit a completed assessment questionnaire.
All of the above information is necessary to determine your qualifications for the position. Please help us make an informed decision regarding your eligibility by providing complete and thorough information on your experience and qualifications. Not providing all of required information may result in a determination that you do not meet minimum requirements for the position (e.g., an ineligible rating) or a lower rating.
Required Documentation for Career Transition Claims
Visit our websites to claim selection priority through the Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP):
- - CTAP: https://jobs.nih.gov/announcement-links/CTAP.htm
- - ICTAP: https://jobs.nih.gov/announcement-links/ictap.htm
Please do not submit any other supplementary documentation that is not requested of you. To protect your personal information, we will only send your resume and cover letter to the selecting official or hiring manager.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please read and follow all instructions in this announcement, complete the online application, and submit the documentation specified in the "Required Documents" section. Your complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM Eastern Time (ET) on 04/12/2021 to receive consideration.
1. To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply.
2. Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package (see the "Required Documents" section for any additional forms and/or supplemental materials required). You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. You must submit your documents through the online application. Unfortunately, we cannot accept emailed or mailed documents. NOTE: that your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
3. Read all Eligibility questions and respond accordingly to any Eligibility you wish to claim. NOTE: You will only be considered for those Eligibility questions (Status Applicant, Reinstatement, Schedule A, etc.) you respond in the affirmative to, including veterans' preference, regardless of what documentation you submit. We use these questions to assist in determining your eligibility for appointment, preference, and consideration. We cannot assume you intended to respond differently to a question based on other information in your application package. We cannot accept responsibility for granting you eligibility for something you did not claim other than what you provided us in the questionnaire.
4. Complete the assessment questionnaire. Applicants are asked all questions regardless of their consideration preferences. NOTE: We will only consider you for the grades, series, and specialties that you self-identify as being qualified for. We cannot assume you intended to respond differently to a qualification question based on other information in your application package. Preview assessment questionnaire before you apply: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10851936
5. Verify all required documentation is included in your application package, review your responses to the assessment questionnaire for accuracy, and then submit your application.In addition to the required documents, we encourage you to submit the following although they are not required at the time of application (these documents may be requested later in the process).
- - Cover letter
- - Copy of transcripts (if applicable). Official transcripts will be required if selected.
- - Copy of current, valid, unrestricted professional license/registration (if applicable).
We cannot assume responsibility or grant extensions for personal issues (e.g., power outage, loss of internet, not understanding a question) when applying to our announcements. For technical difficulties, contact HR Systems Support between 8:00 AM and 4:30 PM ET Monday through Friday at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need any other accommodation or assistance with applying please contact Archer Mavin at email@example.com. Requests for reasonable accommodations must be made before the announcement closing date.
NIH's EEO and Diversity and Inclusion Policy Statement
Visit the NIH's Office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion site for information on NIH's EEO program, Reasonable accommodation procedures, laws, policy statements, and the operation of the EEO complaint process.
Agency contact information
AddressNational Institutes of Health
2115 East Jefferson Street
Rockville, MD 20851
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) is the premier biomedical research center for the world. Its 27 Institutes and Centers employ approximately 18,000 employees doing a vast array of jobs, all supporting efforts for a healthy nation. For information on the NIH mission, goals, and Institutes and Centers, visit NIH Overview.
The NIH Clinical Center comprises 200 inpatient beds, 3 Day Hospitals and 14 Specialty Outpatient Clinics. It is the largest inpatient hospital in the country devoted exclusively to clinical research, and provides a full range of services including ambulatory care, specialty inpatient units, critical care and special procedures. Our nurses help to transform medical discoveries into treatment for potential cures. If you want to play a significant role supporting the vision at the Clinical Center, then consider joining our team!
This vacancy announcement will be used to fill vacancies for various specialties within the Clinical Center. We welcome nurses with clinical backgrounds that include Oncology, Pediatrics, Medical-Surgical, Neurology, Behavioral Health, Critical Care, Operating Room and more. New nurses are offered a tailored orientation, an introduction to Clinical Research Nursing, Education and Training which define the roles and contributions of nurses providing care to research participants. Our Shared Governance model promotes the journey in which every nurse brings knowledge and skills for evaluating and modifying nursing practice.
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at National Institutes of Health, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Once you submit your application package, you will receive an acknowledgement email. You will be notified of the status of your applications via email. In addition, you can track the progress of your application package through your USAJOBS account.
After we receive application packages (including all required documents), on the date above, and upon request by the Hiring Managers, applicants who self-certify that they meet the stated qualifications requirements will be sent to the Hiring Manager(s). Hiring Manager(s) will select applicants possessing desired experience from the list of certified eligible applicants. HR will then review these applications to validate qualification and eligibility requirements are met and make job offers accordingly. If the Hiring Manager(s) is interested in your application, applicants may be contacted directly for an interview.
Please note: At the discretion of the agency, you may be contacted via phone or email for an interview or to provide additional information up to several months from the closing date of the announcement. Please ensure you have provided accurate contact information. To remain in consideration, you must respond in a timely manner to our correspondence and requests for documentation or information throughout the hiring process.
Length of Eligibility: Eligible applicants may remain in the inventory up to 120 days after the closing date of the vacancy announcement.Note: We may choose to stop accepting applicants prior to the advertised closing date if a need for this announcement no longer exists, so please apply early.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/574422100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.