This position is located in the U.S. Department of State (Department), Office of Inspector General (OIG), Office of the Executive Director (EX) within the Information Technology Division (IT). The Executive Office has primary responsibility for all management support functions to include IT services provided to the OIG. The incumbent in this position will provide Program Oversight, Project Management, and Acquisition/Procurement support services for the IT division.Learn more about this agency
The incumbent is responsible for the nature of Executive Offices’ programs and activities; knowledge of OIG mission, policies, and objectives; management principles and processes; and the analytical and evaluative methods and techniques for assessing program development or execution and improving organizational effectiveness and efficiency.
Project Management (45%)
- Manages the overall planning, execution, and timely delivery of multiple projects.
- Oversees execution of the project and closely monitors program progress; responds and adapts plans to changes and manages risk
- Makes sound and timely recommendations for multiple projects, teams, or work units assessing interaction across interrelated projects in a program
Procurement Analysis and Contractual actions (25%)
- Creates all required contracting documents, performs quality assurance on contract performance, creates and monitors contract performance objectives, and meets with and monitors contract staff performance.
- Serves as the Contracting Officer Representative (COR) for IT services, hardware, and software contracts.
- Provide oversight of contractor performance and contract execution to ensure financial and technical compliance with contract terms and conditions.
Information Security Management (15%)
- Assesses, analyzes information and issues and makes recommendations managing enterprise risk
- Enforce policies and procedures to ensure information systems reliability and accessibility and to prevent and defend against unauthorized access to systems, networks, and data
- Promote awareness of security issues among management and ensuring sound security principles are reflected in organizations’ visions and goals
Customer and Administrative Support (15%)
- Provides excellent customer service to clients, works well in a team setting, responsive to clients' inquiries and issues, demonstrates flexibility and agility in procurement strategies, and good judgment
- Advises on the potential benefits/uses of automation to improve the efficiency of administrative support or program operations
- Effectively communicates change across the enterprise
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Incumbent will be subject to random drug testing.
- Verification of employment eligibility in the United States is required.
- One year probationary period, unless excepted by regulation.
- This position has no promotion potential.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret security clearance.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
Applicants must meet all the required qualification requirements, including education, and any selective placement factors described below by the closing date of this announcement.
If you are qualifying based on education OR if there are mandatory education requirements listed below, you MUST submit a copy of your college transcript with your application.
NOTE: Applicants must meet time-in-grade and time after competitive appointment requirements, by the closing date of this announcement.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Federal applicants must have served 52 weeks at the next lower grade to satisfy time-in-grade restrictions, per 5CFR 300, Subpart F.
Applicants must have 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 level in the Federal service which provided the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and
abilities to perform the duties of the position. Qualifying specialized experience must demonstrate the following:
Experience in project management techniques.
Experience managing multiple projects with competing priorities and tight deadlines.
Experience serving as a Contracting Representative Officer (COR)
Experience in making recommendations, based on sound analysis, to managers at all levels.
Experience in providing superior customer service on an on-going basis.
There is no substitute of education for specialized experience for the GS-13 position.
See the qualifications section of this vacancy announcement for education requirements, if applicable. Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the education requirements if you can show that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying. Click on the link for a list of accredited organizations recognized as specializing in interpretation of foreign education credentials.
EMPLOYMENT ELIGIBILITY VERIFICATION PROGRAM (E-Verify) – U.S. law requires organizations to employ only individuals who may legally work in the United States - either U.S. citizens, or foreign citizens who have the necessary authorization. This agency utilizes E-Verify to compare information from the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, to data from U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Social Security Administration (SSA) records to confirm employment eligibility. If the employee’s information does not match DHS and/or SSA records, the employee is given an opportunity to resolve the problem. If eligibility cannot be verified, employment will be terminated. For reasonable accommodation at the U.S. Department of State, please contact the Office of Accessibility and Accommodations at (202) 663-3474 or ReasonableAccommodations@state.gov.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following knowledge, skills, abilities (KSAs) and other characteristics that are relevant to the duties of this position and must be fully supported by information in your resume:
Knowledge of project management techniques.
Ability to monitor multiple projects for risks and change.
Ability to serve as a Contracting Officer Representative.
Knowledge of ever changing IT security matters.
Knowledge of customer support techniques.
Skill in time management when overseeing multiple projects.
Your resume serves as the basis for qualification determinations and must highlight your most relevant and significant work experience and education (if applicable) as it relates to this job opportunity. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Your resume should include the dates of all qualifying experience (from month/year to month/year) and the number of hours worked/volunteered per week. For assistance with creating a resume, please click
Qualified candidates are assigned a score between 70 and 100. Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) candidates must be rated "Well Qualified" for the position and earn a score of at least 85 (when applicants are rated in a range of 70 to 100) to receive consideration for special priority.
If, after reviewing your resume and self-assessment questionnaire responses and a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, a score will be manually determined that reflects your documented experience. This may result in a lower score, which may also eliminate you from consideration for this position.
Applicants must meet all the qualification requirements and submit any required supporting documentation by the closing date of this job opportunity. Your application package must contain sufficient information to make a valid determination that you fully meet the basic/specialized experience requirements as stated in this job opportunity announcement for each grade level(s) for which you are applying. Applicants found to be among the top qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring official for further consideration and possible interview.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
All required documents listed below, that are applicable to you, must be submitted to our automated system "Gateway to State" by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on the closing date of this announcement.
1. Resume - your resume or any other written format you choose should contain the required information as specified in the “How You Will Be Evaluated” section. Insufficient information will result in an ineligible rating.
2. A completed online job specific self-assessment questionnaire through the Department’s automated system “Gateway to State”.
3. Transcripts - if applicable, see the Qualifications section of the announcement. If selected, an official/sealed college transcript(s) will be required to verify education prior to employment.
4. If you are qualifying based on other criteria listed under the Qualification Section of this announcement, you must submit the required supporting documentation (certificates, certifications, etc.) with your application by the closing date.
5. Current eligible DOS employees (per 3 FAM 2315) including non-competitive applicants must submit a SF-50 (Notification of Personnel Action) that shows the effective date, position title, series, grade, salary, tenure, position occupied, full promotion potential, AND submit a copy of your most recent completed annual performance appraisal that includes the final rating. If a performance appraisal does not exist, is incomplete or unavailable, a Form DS-1812 (Applicant Appraisal) or equivalent form from another agency signed by the current supervisor is acceptable. Mid-year progress reviews will not be accepted.
6. CTAP eligibles must submit a copy of the appropriate documentation with their application. See link below:
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
Prepare your application in USAJOBS
To start your application, click Apply and we’ll walk you through the process where you’ll attach a resume and any required documents.
During the application process you can review, edit, delete, and update your information. We’ll automatically save your progress as you go, so you won’t lose any changes.
Please carefully read all the instructions before you apply. You have until 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on the closing date of this announcement to complete the application process.
STEP 1: Select the "Apply On-line" button and follow the instructions to register or sign into USAJOBS.
STEP 2: Submit a detailed resume or any other written format you choose documenting your job-related qualifications, experience, and education (if applicable). Cover letter is optional. If you submit a cover letter, you must also submit a resume. Please see the How You Will Be Evaluated section for specific information that should be outlined in your resume.
STEP 3: Answer the job-specific self-assessment questions on-line through the U.S. Department of State’s Gateway to State automated application system. The questions will be used to evaluate your qualifications and experience for this position.
STEP 4: Submit all required documentation applicable to you, as listed in the Required Documents section of this announcement, to the Department’s Gateway to State automated application system prior to the closing date of this announcement. For instructions on how to view the status of your supporting documentation, please click
Technical assistance with your on-line application is available through the Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (866) 656-6830 or (703) 269-4944 between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. ET
ALTERNATE APPLICATION PROCEDURES
NOTE: If applying online poses an extreme hardship, you may request alternate application procedures to submit your application package by fax. Contact the Human Resources office listed on the announcement between the business hours of 8:15 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. ET at least 2 working days prior to the closing date of this announcement. The application package for alternate application procedures must be submitted and received in the Human Resources office no later than 11:59 p.m. ET on the closing date of this announcement. Paper applications and information sent by mail WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Agency contact information
Martin R. Conterez
AddressU.S. Department of State
1700 N Moore St
SA-39, STE 1400
Rosslyn, Virginia 22209
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Department of State - Agency Wide, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
After all application packages have been received, we will review your resume to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. After we review and evaluate all applications, the most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration for possible interviews in approximately two weeks after the announcement closes. After a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability review and/or security background investigation, which generally takes an average of at least two to six months.
You will be notified up to four times during the hiring process:
1. Upon receipt of your application.
2. Upon minimum qualification determinations.
3. After the certificate is issued.
4. After final selection is made.
For instructions on how to view the status of your application, please click here .
Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/548527000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.