The Presidential Management Fellows (PMF) Program seeks eligible individuals for assessment and potential subsequent selection as Finalists to obtain appointments as Fellows in the Federal Government.Learn more about this agency
Thoroughly review this announcement and the Become a PMF section on the PMF website at https://www.pmf.gov for information about eligibility, application process, assessment process, and the application timeline.
Those applicants selected as Finalists will be able to search for PMF appointment opportunities offered by participating Federal agencies. Additional details can be found under the Become a PMF\Find a Job section on the PMF website.
Occasional travel - Occasional, based on the position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Advanced degree conferred between October 3, 2017 and October 3, 2019
- Or will complete an advanced degree by August 31, 2020
- Advanced degree must be from an accredited college or university
- Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered for Selective Service
- Complete and submit application before closing
- Security Clearance - Finalists selected for PMF appointments are subject to position and security/suitability requirements as determined by the appointing agency.
NOTE: You do NOT need a USAJOBS applicant user account to apply. Please follow the steps outlined under the "How to Apply" section in the announcement, which will take you to our application site to create an applicant user account and to apply.
If an applicant is selected as a Finalist, he/she may be initially appointed as a Presidential Management Fellow (PMF; Fellow) to a GS-9, GS-11, or GS-12 grade level (or equivalent) and may potentially be promoted up to the GS-13 grade level (or equivalent) during their two-year fellowship. Finalists are not guaranteed a PMF appointment and positions/grade levels are dependent on agency needs.
Finalists selected for PMF appointments will be subject to specific position requirements, as defined by the appointing agency. These may include determination of duty station, salary, grade levels, promotion potential, security requirements, supervisory status, travel requirements and other conditions of employment. The salary range listed in this announcement is for the GS-9, step 1 through GS-12, step 10, covering the Washington, DC, metro area, as of this announcement. Actual salary range for a particular PMF will vary based on the duty location and the position.
The PMF Program is administered by the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and is regulated by the Pathways Programs regulations in part 362 of Title 5, of the Code of Federal Regulations (5 CFR 362). Appointments are made in the excepted service under the Schedule D Hiring Authority.
QualificationsApplicants must have obtained a qualifying advanced degree (master's, professional, or doctorate), including the successful defense/completion of any required thesis/dissertation, within the two years preceding the opening date of this announcement (e.g., between October 3, 2017, through October 3, 2019), or expect to complete a qualifying advanced degree by August 31, 2020. The qualifying advanced degree must be from an accredited academic institution.
Those having or obtaining advanced degrees from foreign academic institutions may be asked to use a credential evaluation service. Additional information can be found under the "Become a PMF\Eligibility\Education Outside U.S." section on the PMF website at www.pmf.gov.
From the applicant pool, selection of Finalists will be based on completed applications, eligibility, adjudication of veterans' preference, scores of the on-line assessment, hiring agency workforce planning estimates, and occupational needs within the Federal Government. Only Finalists are eligible for PMF appointment opportunities. PMF appointments are full-time, paid positions over a two-year fellowship. Those applicants ultimately selected as Finalists should review the Become a PMF\Find a Job section on the PMF website.
All applicants will be asked to provide the last 4-digits of their Social Security Number (SSN) when creating an applicant user account and applying to the PMF Program.
Opportunities for PMF appointments for non-United States citizens are extremely rare. Non-U.S. citizen applicants who meet the eligibility requirements, who do not already possess a Social Security Number (SSN), and wish to apply to the PMF Program, must contact the PMF Program Office, via an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, to request an alternative 4-digit number. This number will serve throughout the process as a unique identifier and does not entitle the user to any other benefits. Requests for an alternative number are only honored during the application period. For additional information about citizenship, please go to the Become a PMF\Eligibility\Citizenship section on the PMF website.
The program requires the possession of an advanced degree. For further information see the Qualifications section.
Information about the 2020 PMF application timeline can be found under the Become a PMF\2020 Application section on the PMF website. NOTE: The timeline is subject to change; please check the PMF website frequently for any updates.
The PMF Program is highly competitive. Last year, over 4,000 applications were received and 351 Finalists were selected. On average, over the past ten years, 60% of Finalists obtain PMF appointments. Information about the assessment process can be found under the Become a PMF\Assessment Process section on the PMF website; including the "PMF Assessment Preparation Guide".
All required and supporting documentation must be submitted by Noon, Eastern Time, on the closing date of this announcement.
All program communications are conducted via email. Please ensure the email address provided is current and accessible throughout the application, assessment, and selection process. Please add the following email addresses to your "allowed" or "safe" list: no- email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, and email@example.com.
Previous Applicants: Individuals who previously applied for the PMF Program but were not selected as a Finalist, or current Finalists who have not been appointed, may reapply as long as they meet eligibility requirements. Current Finalists who reapply will forfeit their status upon starting an application and starting the on-line assessment.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Applicants will be redirected to the Apply Site of the PMF Talent Management System (TMS) to apply (see "How to Apply" below). Applicants will be asked to submit their resume, transcript (and/or alternative), and supporting documents for any claims for veterans' preference, Indian preference, and/or reasonable accommodation request(s). Applicants must also complete all parts of the on-line assessment to be further considered.
To determine if you meet the qualifications and eligibility requirements, we review your resume, advanced degree transcript (and/or alternative), supporting documents and responses to the on-line assessment. The score you receive for this aspect of the assessment process is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the competencies required.
Those applicants selected as Finalists may be eligible for 2-year PMF appointments in the excepted service. The PMF Program Office has defined the eligibility period (per 5 CFR 362.404(a)(3)) as Finalists having an appointment eligibility period of 12 months from the date of selecting Finalists and any approved appointment eligibility extension as described on the PMF website.
If you believe you have a disability (i.e., physical or mental), covered by the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, or the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, that would interfere with completing the on-line assessment, refer to the "PMF Assessment Preparation Guide" under the Become a PMF/Assessment Process section on the PMF website at www.pmf.gov for more information about the reasonable accommodation request process.
Requests must be received before this announcement closes to be considered. If you indicate a need for reasonable accommodation(s) to complete the on-line assessment, the application system will not allow you to proceed with the on-line assessment until you receive a decision from us.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
All applicants must submit a resume and an advanced degree transcript (and/or alternative) to be considered for this year's announcement. If applicable, applicants claiming veterans' preference, Indian preference, and/or requesting reasonable accommodations must submit supporting documentation as part of their application before this announcement closes.
Applicants currently completing their advanced degree should submit a transcript showing the portion of the advanced degree completed to date. Transcripts may be official or unofficial copies; however, they must be legible, in English, and contain the minimum following information:
- Applicant name
- College/university name
- Qualifying advanced degree (completed or pursuing)
- Date of degree conferred or anticipated (NOTE: Many transcripts do not include anticipated graduation dates for individuals finishing up their degree requirements. If your transcript does NOT contain this information you must supply an alternative document that does show the anticipated graduation date or the date the degree will be conferred.
NOTE: If a transcript is unavailable or missing ANY of the above items, applicants must submit an alternative providing the information requested above. If an alternative is used to show missing elements on a transcript, then both documents should be submitted. Transcripts created by the applicant are not acceptable. If any required information is missing after reviewing all documents, the applicant will be disqualified. Details about transcripts (and/or alternatives) can be found under the Become a PMF\Application Process\Application Tips section on the PMF website. This collection is used to validate your school's accreditation and eligibility.
Failure to submit any of the above mentioned required documents may result in loss of consideration due to an incomplete application package. It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents have been submitted by the closing date.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
You MUST submit a copy of your advanced degree transcript if you want to substitute your education for experience. If you claim qualifications based on education, and do not submit the transcript, your education will not be used in making a qualification determination and you may be found "not qualified".
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
Applicants are to go to the Apply Site at https://apply.pmf.gov to create an applicant user account and apply. The Apply Site is part of the PMF TMS (Talent Management System). Applicants should estimate 3 to 4 hours to complete the entire application and assessment process. The application system only allows one applicant account to be associated to an email address and applicants can only submit one application. All sections of the application must be completed, certified, and submitted by Noon, Eastern Time, on the closing date of this announcement.
NOTE: The opening and closing time of this announcement is Noon (Eastern Time).
1. Instructions - Applicants should review the following before beginning the process:
- Review this announcement and the instructions on how to apply.
- Thoroughly review the Become a PMF section on the PMF website, including the Frequently Asked Questions and the Assessment Preparation Guide.
- Ensure your system and browser complies with application and on-line assessment requirements, as specified under the Become a PMF\Application Process section on the PMF website.
- Follow the on-line instructions provided on how to submit documents. You may need to merge similar documents and upload to a single category (for example, combine the transcript and alternative showing required elements).File size is limited to 3MB for each file.
2. Resume - Applicants must submit a resume as part of their application. Additional information can be found under the Become a PMF \Application Process\Application Tips section on the PMF website.
3. Transcript - Applicants must submit an advanced degree transcript (and/or alternative) as part of this application process. Further information on this requirement, along with required information, can be found under the Become a PMF\Application Process\Application Tips section on the PMF website.
4. Claiming Veterans' Preference (if applicable) - Applicants claiming veterans' preference must submit supporting documentation for adjudication. For more information on how veterans' preference is applied in the PMF Program, review the Become a PMF\Eligibility\Veterans' Preference section on the PMF website.
5. Reasonable Accommodation Requests - Applicants requesting a reasonable accommodation for the on-line assessment must describe their disability and functional limitations in relation to their performance when filling out the eligibility section of the application and provide supporting documentation under the upload documents section from a qualified professional before the closing date of the announcement. Additional information can be found in the "Assessment Preparation Guide", under the Become a PMF\Assessment Process section on the PMF website.
6. On-line Assessment - During the application process, all applicants must complete all parts of the on-line assessment. Applicants should anticipate approximately 3 hours for completing this portion. The "Assessment Preparation Guide" is available under the Become a PMF \Assessment Process section on the PMF website. The Guide explains the assessment process, sample questions, system and browser requirements, and reasonable accommodations.
7. Submit Application - Applicants will be prompted to certify their responses and that they completed their entire application and on-line assessment without assistance. If an applicant fails to certify the responses, the application will not be considered submitted. NOTE: Only one application is allowed.
Once you have reviewed these instructions entirely, please click on the following link to create an applicant user account on the Apply Site of the PMF TMS and to apply: https://apply.pmf.gov
Agency contact information
PMF PROGRAM OFFICE
AddressOffice of Personnel Management
Throughout the Nation and
Washington, DC 20415
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Office of Personnel Management, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Once the announcement closes, the PMF Program Office will review applicants and select Finalists based on completed applications, eligibility, adjudication of veterans' preference, and scores of the on-line assessment. Announcement of Finalists can take approximately 4-6 weeks. The total number of Finalists will include hiring agency workforce planning estimates and occupational needs within the Federal Government. Reviewing eligibility includes the validation of an applicant's qualifying advanced degree (e.g., school accreditation).
Once Finalists are officially selected, applicants will be notified via email and can check their status under the "Application Status" of their applicant user account.
Because PMF appointment opportunities for Finalists are agency-specific, the position may include the following: promotion potential up to the GS-13 (or equivalent) or higher, appointment at the supervisory level, a range of travel requirements, the potential for student loan repayment pursuant to the Federal Student Loan Repayment Program, or a recruitment or relocation incentive, and/or other benefits (e.g., Transit Benefit Program, telework/flexible schedules). Every PMF appointee must undergo a background investigation and be adjudicated suitable for Federal employment. The level of background investigation and the need for any national security adjudication will be dependent on the PMF position and is agency-specific.
Federal agencies that participate in the PMF Program can be identified by those having a designated Agency PMF Coordinator. The list of Agency PMF Coordinators can be found on the PMF website or by going to https://apply.pmf.gov/coordinators.aspx.
Applicants needing help desk support during the application should follow the instructions posted on the Application Help webpage. The phone number listed on this announcement is for technical support only.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/547522800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.