About the Position: As a Supervisory Health Educator with APHC, you will be responsible for managing, coordinating and planning, organizing and implementing the Army Wellness Center (AWC) program in accordance with published guidelines and standards for the Total Army in support of eligible beneficiaries.Learn more about this agency
- Provides oversight to the assigned Army Wellness Center.
- Advises on the operation of an Army Wellness Center
- Promotes initiatives that impact on the Army's force readiness.
- Reviews records of eligible candidates for any contraindications to exercise and assessing the impact of any existing medical conditions the client may have and ensuring that a doctor's clearance has been completed.
- Develops policies and monitors the provision of physical fitness testing.
- Trains new staff in exercise testing protocol.
- Acts as a liaison with other centers to coordinate the use of the facility for participants per month.
- Develops, coordinates, and conducts seminars, workshops, short courses, informational briefings to meet program objectives.
- Creates or obtains instructional methods, materials, and techniques.
- Leads the marketing efforts to program the Army Wellness Center program to all beneficiaries.
- Insures the confidentiality, accuracy and completeness of individual data recording, tabulations, and analysis.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- This position requires you to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance.
- This position requires business travel away from the permanent duty statement 10% of the time.
- This is a term appointment not-to-exceed five years and may be extended. Contingent to specific conditions there may be an opportunity to be non-competitively converted to a career-conditional or career appointment.
- This is a term appointment subject to a one year trial period and can be removed with limited appeal rights.
- May be subject to a one year supervisory probationary period.
QualificationsWho May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
BASIC REQUIREMENTS for Supervisory Health Educator:
A. Degree: Bachelor's degree (or higher degree) that includes or was supplemented by major study in education or in a subject-matter field appropriate to the position, such as exercise physiology, exercise science, kinesiology, nutrition, healthcare program management, health education or other health/wellness related fields.
B. Combination of Education and Experience: Courses equivalent to a major in education, or in a subject-matter field appropriate to the position such as exercise physiology, exercise science, kinesiology, nutrition, healthcare program management, health education or other health/wellness related fields, plus appropriate experience or additional course work that provided knowledge comparable to that normally acquired through the successful completion of the four-year course of study described in A above.
In addition to meeting the Basic Requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: One year of specialized experience which includes: (1) Conducting advanced exercise testing to create individualized exercise recommendations using a variety of testing technologies, to include one of the following: air displacement plethysmography, direct gas exchange VO2, or indirect calorimetry; (2) Conducting health education/coaching to advise clients to reach health goals using one or more of the following: stages of change, motivational interviewing, health belief or self-efficacy; and (3) Assisting in providing staff competency training in any of the following programs: health assessment reviews, physical fitness, healthy nutrition, general wellness education, stress management, or tobacco education. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the Federal service, GS-11.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Communications and Media
- Managing Human Resources
- Organizational Awareness
- Planning and Evaluating
- Project Management
- Sales and Marketing
- Teaching Others
- Technical Competence
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 31 - Education Services position.
- You may claim military spouse preference.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- alary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority for this position. To receive selection priority, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria (2) be rated well-qualified for the position and; (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. To be considered well-qualified and receive selection priority applicants must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and receive a score of 90 or above. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
- Position may be eligible for Advanced In-Hire, Recruitment Incentive, and/or Advanced Leave Accrual based on regulations and management's discretion.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External).
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as incomplete and you may not receive consideration for this position.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section above.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 09/20/2019 to receive consideration
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application (https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10598994).
- Follow the prompts to select your résumé and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
- It is your responsibility to verify that your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) is complete, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
- Additional information on how to complete the online application process and submit your online application may be found on the USA Staffing Applicant Resource Center.
Agency contact information
Army Applicant Help Desk
AddressAG-APF-W03HAA USA PUBLIC HEALTH COMMAND
DO NOT MAIL
Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD 21005
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
The U.S. Army Public Health Center (APHC) is committed to enhancing Army readiness by identifying and assessing current and emerging health threats; developing and communicating public health solutions; and assuring the quality and effectiveness of the Army's Public Health Enterprise. The APHC focuses on promoting health and preventing disease, injury and disability in Soldiers, veterans, and retirees; their Families; and Army civilians, and providing veterinary services for the Army and Department of Defense. APHC provides consulting services to senior military leaders, commanders both deployed and in garrison, and military medical and health professionals.
This is a modified Term position not-to-exceed 5 Years; may be extended to a maximum of eight (8) years in 1-year increments depending upon the needs of management. Contingent to specific conditions there may be an opportunity to be non-competitively converted to a career-conditional or career appointment.
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/545174900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.