About the Position:Learn more about this agency
Postdoctoral fellows will work within ASEP and may also contribute to the development and delivery of graduate level curriculum.
The Fellowship duration will be up to 12 months and begin no earlier than 30 September 2019. Initial appointment is for one year, with the possibility of extension to a second year depending on the needs of the institution, performance, and availability of funds. There is no guarantee of extension beyond the first year.
- Postdoctoral fellows serve in the capacity of junior faculty and contribute to research and teaching at the U.S. Army War College.
- Must possess expertise in disciplines relevant to the U.S. Army War College curriculum.
- Demonstrate commitment to a career in research and teaching at the college or university level.
- Lead an Integrated Research Project (IRP) Team with USAWC Students on general officer education.
- Lead the research planning, IRP team, research execution and documentation efforts, resulting in an IRP report for formal presentation and submission.
Occasional travel - Domestic and international travel up to 15% of the duty time is required.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- Must provide official college transcripts, upon request (unofficial transcripts are required for application purposes).
- Must comply with Drug Abuse Testing Program requirements.
Who May Apply:In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is available at http://www.armycivilianservice.com/JOA/Transcripts.pdf
SELECTIVE PLACEMENT FACTORS/KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Applicants will be rated based on the criteria listed below:
1. Ph.D. or D.M from an accredited institution, achieved no earlier than five years prior to the date of this announcement is preferred. Candidates within six months of completing a Ph.D. or D.M. may be considered.
2. Ph.D. or D.M. in a discipline relevant to this U.S. Army War College Research Program i.e., Organizational Behavior, Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Strategic Leadership, Management in Strategic Leadership, or another relevant field of study, is preferred.
3. Demonstrated potential for high-quality research and analysis, writing and presentation that bridges the gap between strategic leadership and decision making at the highest levels of organizational hierarchy. The selecting official will consider the scholarly merit and relevance of the candidate's written research submission (see paragraph 6 under HOW TO APPLY, below).
4. Ability to coach graduate students in the production of innovative scholarship.
5. Evidence of the potential to communicate effectively with diverse audiences of practitioners, graduate students, scientists and faculty from other domains of expertise.
6. Ability to work collegially with diverse (military, civilian, international) graduate students, faculty, staff and administrators.
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience.
For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications (http://www.opm.gov/qualifications) and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html (http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html).
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency to be counted for this position. Please include this information in your résumé or curriculum vitae.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- One year trial period may be required.
- Direct deposit of pay is required.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
- Include job announcement number on your application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, etc.) will be reviewed by a specially appointed faculty supervisor to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Please see the list of requirements in the "How to Apply" section.
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates could contain personal information for someone other than the applicant. Redact these documents to remove the personal information of others before submitting your application. You may be asked to provide an un-redacted version of the documents to confirm your eligibility for selection.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in the job announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete application package which includes the items listed below. Applications must be postmarked or e-dated by the closing date of this job announcement. Please include the job announcement number on the application.
Army network servers have an overall limit of 10 MB per email. To ensure delivery of your application, we recommend that applicants limit overall email size to no more than 5-8 MB. You may send documents in several emails to reduce overall size.
The USAWC G1 will provide email confirmation of all received applications. If you do not receive delivery confirmation within three business days please contact the USAWC G1 at (717) 245-4596 or via email to
Failure to provide these documents may result in disqualification for the position. Please note that this is not a Title 5 (General Scale) position, and the routine procedures for filing through the USAJobs.gov automated system should NOT be followed. Instead, please submit your complete application package and any requests for further information directly to Ms. Kathy Benton at the email address listed below.
1. Cover Letter of application addressing the required KSAs and other qualifications, as listed in the QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED section above.
2. Curriculum vitae or résumé.
3. Proof of U.S. citizenship. (Candidates may provide photocopies during the application process but must provide official documents if selected.)
4. Academic transcripts (graduate level). Unofficial transcripts are required with your application submission. If selected for an interview, you must provide official college transcripts upon request.
5. List of four professional references (include full contact information). References must be disinterested (i.e., persons who can affirm the candidate's qualifications but have no stake in the outcome of the selection).
6. Sample of candidate's written work in the area of Strategic Leadership or a closely related topic.
7. Documentation supporting any request for Veteran's Preference (such as a DD Form 214 and/or VA statement of disability). The selection committee will consider veterans preference in its assessment of qualified candidates.
8. A short narrative of one page or less that describes how you would contribute to an atmosphere of diversity at the U.S. Army War College through teaching, scholarship, and/or service.
The Department of the Army provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the servicing civilian personnel unit. Your requests for reasonable accommodation will be addressed on a case-by-case basis.
Both paper and electronic submissions are acceptable, but the latter is strongly encouraged. The preferred method of submission is by e-mail with .pdf attachments.
Submit your complete application package and any requests for further information to:
Ms. Kathy Benton
U.S. Army War College
Office of the G1
46 Ashburn Drive (Anne Ely Hall, Room 233)
Carlisle Barracks, PA 17013
Agency contact information
Army Applicant Help Desk
AddressDQ-APF-W2H6AA US ARMY WAR COLLEGE
DO NOT MAIL
Carlisle, PA 17013
The U.S. Army War College (USAWC) is the U.S. Army's senior institution for professional military education. It educates the senior echelon of U.S. military officers of all services, U.S. government civilians, and military officers from up to 80 foreign countries yearly. The USAWC also conducts independent strategic analysis to develop recommendations for senior Army, Department of Defense, and other National Security leaders and decision-makers addressing a broad range of key national security issues.
Supports the Army Strategic Education Program (ASEP) of the U.S. Army War College (USAWC) with focused research to inform Army strategic leader education course objectives, design, curricula and outcomes. Plans, researches, and writes information papers, monographs, and studies on assigned topics concerning U.S. Army strategic leader education. Provides strategic leader education expertise and support to ASEP to improve content and delivery of current Army strategic leader education courses. The incumbent works independently within supervisor-established guidelines and exercises wide latitude and independent judgment in the performance of assigned duties.
The application review process to determine if you meet the experience and education requirements found in the job announcement begins upon the closing date of the announcement. A faculty supervisor will select fellows following a national search for the best talent in disciplines relevant to the U.S. Army War College curricula. Candidates' academic achievement, scholarly potential, innovative approach to research, teaching ability, and commitment to a career in research and teaching at the college or university level will be considered.
Please follow all instructions carefully, as failure to submit a complete application could invalidate your submission. In this regard, please be sure to read the HOW TO APPLY and REQUIRED DOCUMENTS sections.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/544832200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.