This position is located in the Center of Financing, Access, and Cost Trends (CFACT), Division of Survey Operations (DSO) of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). The duty location for this position is in Rockville, MD.
Applicants please note: Additional selections may be made across the Department of Health and Human Services through this vacancy announcement.Learn more about this agency
As a Survey Statistician, you will provide guidance to staff within other Centers and Offices of the Agency, to other Departments and Agencies of the Federal Government and to the public, including the States and research organizations. The work effects information and tools needed by health care leaders and policy makers in improving health care financing, access, coverage, and cost nation-wide.
Specifically, you will:
- Develop innovative guidelines to govern data content, collection and dissemination in national health and economic surveys.
- Recommend enhancements and modifications to surveys based on analysis of instrument design and survey design to improve the statistical quality and cost efficiency of the data collection.
- Use sound survey management practices and statistical judgment to manage and monitor data collection efforts conducted or sponsored by the Agency in terms of quality and efficiency.
- Apply survey and statistical theory and techniques to the design and analysis of national probability surveys of establishments and persons conducted or sponsored by the Agency.
- Serve as a Contracting Officer Representative (COR) on special projects
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- U. S. Citizenship is required.
- Males ages 18 through 25 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- Background investigation required.
- PHS Commissioned Corps applicants must submit current personnel orders.
- Financial disclosure statement is required. If selected, you will be required to file a public or confidential financial disclosure.
- A one year probationary period may be required.
- Position is not in the Bargaining Unit.
- Drug Screening is not required.
- Recruitment incentives are not authorized.
- Student loan repayment incentive is not authorized.
- Travel, transportation and relocation expenses will not be paid.
- This position has an education requirement - transcripts are required.
QualificationsTHESE QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET BY THE CLOSING DATE: 09/16/2019
A. Degree: that included 15 semester hours in statistics (or in mathematics and statistics, provided at least 6 semester hours were in statistics), and 9 additional semester hours in one or more of the following: physical or biological sciences, medicine, education, or engineering; or in the social sciences including demography, history, economics, social welfare, geography, international relations, social or cultural anthropology, health sociology, political science, public administration, psychology, etc. Credit toward meeting statistical course requirements should be given for courses in which 50 percent of the course content appears to be statistical methods, e.g., courses that included studies in research methods in psychology or economics such as tests and measurements or business cycles, or courses in methods of processing mass statistical data such as tabulating methods or electronic data processing.
B. Combination of education and experience -- courses as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education. The experience should have included a full range of professional statistical work such as (a) sampling, (b) collecting, computing, and analyzing statistical data, and (c) applying statistical techniques such as measurement of central tendency, dispersion, skewness, sampling error, simple and multiple correlation, analysis of variance, and tests of significance.
In addition to meeting the education requirement, to qualify for this GS-14 Survey Statistician, your resume must clearly demonstrate that you have one full year of specialized experience comparable in difficulty and responsibility to at least the GS-13 level in the federal service. Examples of qualifying experience include the following types of tasks performed on a regular and recurring basis: application of advanced statistical theories, principles, concepts, methods, techniques, and practices to the conduct of national surveys; develop estimates from large complex survey data, applying advanced statistical or multivariate techniques to analyze the data and produce written summaries/publications of methodological and analytical results.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; community; student; social). If such experience is on a part-time basis, you must provide the average number of hours worked per week as well as the beginning and ending dates of the experience so it can be fully credited.
This position has an education requirement. You must submit a copy of your transcripts (or a list of your courses including titles, credit hours completed and grades) to document that you have met the education requirement. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application package. Official transcripts will be required prior to your starting work.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.HHS is an equal opportunity employer. Selection for this position will be based solely on merit without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, political affiliation, disability, sexual orientation, marital or family status or other differences.Click here for information on "Federal hiring for individuals with disabilities".
- Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
- E-Verify: AHRQ participates in the USCIS Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify helps employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their social security numbers.
- Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- Creditable Service: A newly appointed or reappointed employee may receive service credit for annual leave for prior work experience directly related to the duties of the position being filled. The use of this service credit is at the discretion of the selecting official and must be finalized prior to selectee's entrance on duty. For more information, please click here.
- Financial Disclosure: This position requires you to file a public or confidential financial disclosure report prior to receiving a final offer letter as well as within 30 days of your appointment. This will require you to report information such as recent sources of income, financial interests you hold, and outside activities you participate in, as well as similar information from a spouse or any dependent children. If you have questions, please contact AskHR@hrsa.gov.
How You Will Be Evaluated
This is a Direct-Hire Authority position, traditional rating and ranking of applicants does not apply to this vacancy. Veterans' Preference does not apply to direct hire recruitment procedures.Your application will be reviewed to ensure that you meet the minimum qualification requirements for this position.
All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be referred for consideration in accordance with the Office of Personnel Management Direct Hire Authority.
To preview the assessment questionnaire, click the following link:https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10578332
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact either HRSA's Office of Human Resources at (301) 443-3780 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or HRSA's Reasonable Accommodation programs at (301) 443-2538 or by email: RA-Request@hrsa.gov. You must contact the Reasonable Accommodations Program prior to the closing date of this announcement to receive assistance. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. Hours of operation: Monday through Friday 7:30AM to 4:00PM EST (except Federal holidays). Submission of a resume alone is not a complete application. To apply for this position, you must provide a complete online Application Package which includes:
- A current Resume - For resume writing guidance, please visit USAJOBS Resources Center or view their video tutorial. If you use your own resume, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose then you must describe your job-related qualifications that include beginning and ending dates (month/year) for paid and non-paid work experience, including the average number of hours worked per week for each job title listed. You must also ensure that the duties performed are clearly matched to each period of employment. If we cannot determine that you have performed qualifying duties for at least one year, then you may be rated ineligible.
- A complete Assessment Questionnaire
- Other supporting documents to be submitted with application:
- Personnel Orders: PHS Commissioned Corps Officers must submit a copy of latest personnel orders in lieu of SF-50.
- College Transcripts (if the position has a positive education requirement, or you are qualifying on the basis of education).
- Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50), if current or former Federal employee.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the occupational questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 09/16/2019 to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
- Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
- It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
- Diplomas of any type (When education documents are required, you must submit unofficial transcripts)
- Letters of Recommendation, Reference, or Congratulations, etc.
- General training documents or certificates of completed training (Except Contract Specialist positions when requested in the announcement)
- Any documents with a picture of the applicant (Except medical or nursing licenses when requested in the announcement)
- Awards documentation including SF-50s for Awards
- Performance Appraisals (Only ICTAP/CTAP eligible applicants need to submit their latest performance appraisal)
- Evaluations of any type
- Writing Samples
- Executive Core Qualifications Statements (ECQs)
Agency contact information
AskHR HRSA Helpdesk
AddressAgency for Healthcare Research and Quality
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD 20852
The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), an agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, is the lead Federal agency charged with improving the safety and quality of America's health care system. AHRQ develops the knowledge, tools, and data needed to improve the health care system and help Americans, health care professionals, and policymakers make informed health decisions. For information on the AHRQ mission, goals, centers and offices, visit https://www.ahrq.gov/.
Specifically, the Center of Financing, Access, and Cost Trends strives to provide health care leaders and policymakers with the information and tools they need to improve decisions on health care financing, access, coverage and cost as well as directs and fosters statistical and methodological research on survey design, sampling and estimation techniques, and data quality.
Applications received as a result of job fairs, recruitment events, and emergency hiring mechanisms in support of this hiring initiative will also be accepted during the open and closing date of this announcement.
Once your online questionnaire is received you will be sent an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. We will update your status after each key stage in the application process has been completed. You may also check the status of your application through your USAJobs profile. check the status
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/542590900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.