THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
This National Guard position is for a SUPV IT SPECIALIST (POLICY AND PLANNING), Position Description Number D2170P01 and is part of the HI 154 CS, National Guard.Learn more about this agency
SUMMARY OF DUTIES: The purpose of this position is to provide supervision, subordinate guidance, and team leadership to dual status, non-dual status, and civilian employees. This position is accountable for directing the information and data integrity of all base and tenant organizations, as well as geographically separated units (GSUs) and communications and information functions.
- Manages, plans, organizes, controls, and directs the communications activities for the Wing and Base to ensure mission accomplishment and optimum use of resources.
- Coordinates communications activities and projects with other concerned agencies and organizations.
- Coordinates with support organizations to assure an integrated approach to solution of problems.
- Ensures formulation of comprehensive training plans for each function and specialty within the C4 and logistics activity.
- Monitors and controls the daily expenditure for material and manpower resources in accomplishment of peacetime and wartime mission goals.
- Develops an IT acquisition process, which satisfies the provisions of the Information Technology Management Reform Act (ITMRA) while incorporating the Air Force Corporate Process and the DOD Acquisition structure.
- Ensures all support agreements and Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs), are appropriately coordinated and approved.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact a National Guard recruiter prior to applying for this position.
- This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state's National Guard, required prior to the effective date of placement.
- Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform.
- Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment.
- Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
- Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
- Submit all documents/application NLT midnight Eastern Standard Time.
- Must be in the grade of O4 to O5.
- Military technician compatible prior to placement: DAFSC 17D.
If your resume does not include a narrative description of how you meet the GENERAL, SPECIALIZED experiences, and OTHER requirements, you may lose consideration for this position. Ensure that the Questionnaire is completed on Application Manager.
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: Experience in managing the function of the work to be performed. Experience which includes leading, directing and assigning work of personnel. Experience, education or training that has provided a basic knowledge of data processing functions and general management principles that enabled the applicant to understand the stages required to automate a work process. Experience may have been gained in work such as computer operator or assistant, computer sales representative, program analyst, or other positions that required the use or adaptation of computer programs and systems.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Must have at least 36 months experience, education, or training that approaches techniques and requirements appropriate to an assigned computer applications area or computer specialty area in an organization. Experience planning the sequence of actions necessary to accomplish the assignment where this entailed coordination with others outside the organizational unit and development of project controls. Experience that required adaptations of guidelines or precedents to meet the needs of the assignment. Experience preparing documentation on cost/benefit studies where is involved summarizing the material and organizing it in a logical fashion. Experience in managing the function of the work to be performed. Experience which includes leading, directing and assigning work of personnel.
[See Education section for Substitution of Specialized Experience]
OTHER Requirements: Must possess SECRET or TOP SECRET security clearance. If clearance is SECRET must be able to obtain TOP SECRET in one year of appointment.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT & NOTES:
1. Must be certified IAW DOD 8570.01-M, Federal Information Security Management Act of 2002, Clinger Cohen Act of 1996 and current AF directives.
2. Conducts travel to and from offsite worksite(s) from the normal work area to perform assigned duties. This may include Operating Locations (OL) and/or GSU. Due to distances involved, travel may involve one or more overnight stays.
3. Must be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate security clearance of the position.
4. This position is covered by the Domestic Violence Misdemeanor Amendment (30 Sep 96) of the Gun Control Act (Lautenberg Amendment) of 1968. An individual convicted of a qualifying crime of domestic violence may not perform the duties of this position.
5. Ability to establish effective professional working relationships with coworkers and customers, contributing to a cooperative working environment and successful accomplishment of the mission.
6. May occasionally be required to work other than normal duty hours; overtime may be required.
7. The duties and responsibilities of your job may significantly impact the environment. You are responsible to maintain awareness of your environmental responsibilities as dictated by legal and regulatory requirements, your organization, and its changing mission.
8. THIS POSITION CONDUCTS INFORMATION ASSURANCE FUNCTIONS. THE INCUMBENT SHALL COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE CERTIFICATION PROGRAM AND WILL BE REQUIRED TO OBTAIN AND MAINTAIN CERTIFICATION. CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS ARE OUTLINED IN DOD INSTRUCTION 8570.01-M
MILITARY TECHNICIAN COMPATIBILITY POSITION: Prior to placement in this position, the selected candidate must be assigned to a valid position in the unit of employment, and be assigned militarily in DAFSC 17DX.
Substitution of Education for Specialized Experience - A Ph.D. or equivalent, or 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree. The undergraduate or graduate degree must have been in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
You must provide transcripts or other documentation to support your Educational claims. To receive credit for Education, you must provide documentation of proof that you meet the Education requirements for this position.
NOTES TO CANDIDATES:
a. Situations of inversion of military rank are not permitted, i.e., a military technician may not be militarily senior to his or her full-time supervisor.
b. Authorization for payment of PCS expenses will be granted only after determination is made that payment is in the best interest of the Hawaii National Guard.
c. In addition to your application, documents of last performance appraisal, past civilian performance, letter of recommendations, and or military performance may be submitted.
d. Candidates may be screened and evaluated on military attributes directly related to the compatible military position required to be assigned into, such as, but not limited to, military bearing, leadership, or ability to work with others (teamwork) in a military environment.
e. Include any volunteer work experience in your resume. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social).
f. Final selection will be based upon qualifications, suitability, and available manpower resources.
g. This employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
h. Financial Suitability - It is the policy of the government not to deny employment simply because an individual has been unemployed or has had financial difficulties that have arisen through no fault of the individual. Information about an individual's employment experience will be used only to determine the person's qualifications and to assess his or her relative level of knowledge, skills, and abilities. Although an individual's personal conduct may be relevant in any employment decision, including conduct during periods of unemployment or evidence of dishonesty in handling financial matters, financial difficulty that has arisen through no fault of the individual will generally not itself be the basis of an unfavorable suitability or fitness determination.
i. Qualified candidates in the second recruitment area will be referred if there are no qualified applicants in the first recruitment area.
j. This temporary limited appointment may be converted to a non-temporary appointment without further competition.
k. If you are selected for this position, you will be eligible for health and life insurance and you will be covered under a retirement system.
l. This type of appointment is expected to extend beyond one year, not to exceed 4 years. Separation will be preceded by a 30-day notice when services are no longer needed. Permanent technicians will remain on permanent status if selected.
m. Selectee informed in advance of the reasons for and conditions of this temporary promotion may return to his/her former grade when temporary action is no longer needed and may be effected at any time without adverse action procedures.
n. Temporary promotion may be extended for an additional two years, not-to-exceed four year, with National Guard Bureau approval.
o. Should the need for temporary time limitations placed on this position no longer exist, the Temporary Promotion may be converted to a permanent action without further competition.
p. Eligibles on this list will be given automatic consideration for position vacancies occurring during the six months period following the close of this announcement.
q. Cost of living allowances (COLA) vary from island to island. COLA is subject to change without notice.
r. May be eligible for Superior Qualification step increase based on initial appointee qualifications and special need of the agency. (If you are currently a full-time technician within the DOD, Hawaii National Guard agency, this does not apply)
s. Recruitment or Relocation Incentive may be offered. Authorization for payment will be granted only after determination is made that payment is in the best interest of the Hawaii National Guard and approved by The Adjutant General, Hawaii, and National Guard Bureau.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates (including Month and Year, e.g., 02/2017, Feb 2017, etc.) of employment and duties performed.
2. Other supporting documents: OF-306, Transcripts (required if substituting specialized experience for education)
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application/Occupational Questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. To view the Occupational Questionnaire, click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10576023
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Agency contact information
AddressHI 154 CS
360 Mamala Bay Drive
JBPHH, HI 96853
THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have a proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, your states and your community!
LOCATION: 154th Communications Squadron, Hawaii Air National Guard (HIANG), Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Air National Guard Units, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/542574600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.