This position is located in the Office of the General Counsel (OGC), Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC). OGC's mission is to provide full-service legal support for all requirements driven by MCC's mission.Learn more about this agency
Although the position is advertised equivalent to GS-15, MCC uses a pay banded system to compensate employees. This position is pay band 3A which is generally equal to GS-15.
- Serves as a member of MCC's partner country teams to provide ongoing support and legal advisory services with respect to complex and difficult questions of U.S. and international law, as well as regulations, policies and related MCC operational program issues. Assistance is often rendered in support of multi-disciplinary projects related to sensitive and complex public policies of national or international significance that have multifaceted legal aspects and involve controversial issues.
- Coordinates team efforts as-well-as outside counsel/consultants to develop, negotiate, implement, monitor, and close out development assistance programs and projects.
- Serves as a technical resource to MCC officials and employees in the identification and resolution of critical program-related issues and problems associated with development assistance programs and projects.
- Assists MCC with assessments of development assistance activities in compact and threshold program countries and with the development of effective new strategies, including the development of strategic objectives and required supporting documentation.
- Reviews, and in some cases prepares, interpretative analysis of compact and threshold program development, implementation, and close out topics and issues, many which involve new and novel initiatives.
- Ensures legal opinions, briefs, memoranda, and other written work are fully researched, and contain accurate and appropriate legal and policy analysis and conclusions.
- Pursues and achieves goals to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of OGC operations.
- Serves as a legal representative and spokesperson for MCC at stakeholder, interagency, and international meetings dealing with a variety of legal issues and information.
- Supports implementation of MCC's position regarding difficult and complex legal problems and issues that may be controversial or of significant public interest. Provides advice and consultation as a technical expert and recognized authority in the fields of U.S. law related to foreign assistance and MCC's operations and mission, as well as international law.
- Works to obtain a balance of conflicting interests by applying a high order of original and creative thought.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a federal security clearance
- Relocation expenses will not be paid
- More than 1 job may be filled if additional vacancies occur within 120 days
- Some domestic and international travel maybe required
QualificationsTo qualify for pay band 3A you must meet the following:
Applicant must have a minimum of four (4) years of international transactional or relevant development experience as a practicing attorney in private industry, public service, or non-profit arena. This experience must have provided the applicant with the knowledge, skills, qualifications, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. Note: This experience MUST be well documented within your resume or application.
This position has a positive education requirement; therefore, all applicants MUST provide a copy of a transcript demonstrating successful completion of a full course of study (graduation with a JD) in a school of law accredited by the American Bar Association (ABA). Failure to supply such a transcript will result in an incomplete application package.Bar Membership:
Applicant must provide evidence of current, active membership in good standing of the bar of a state, territory of the United States, District of Columbia, or Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. Failure to supply evidence of membership in good standing of a bar association will result in an incomplete application package.
Highly Desirable: The ability to speak, read, write, and review documents in French, especially in a legal and business setting.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit may be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. To receive credit you must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours worked per week.
- Application of Veterans' Preference: There is no formal rating system for applying veterans' preference to attorney appointments in the excepted service; however, the Millennium Challenge Corporation considers veterans' preference eligibility as a positive factor in attorney hiring. Applicants eligible for veterans' preference are encouraged to include that information in their cover letter or resume and attach supporting documentation (e.g., DD Form 214 or other substantiating documents) to their submissions.
- The position may be filled by reassignment, change to lower level, transfer, appointment, or reinstatement. Management may use any one or any combination of these methods to fill the position.
- Qualifications by Closing Date: You must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement. Please note that qualification claims will be subject to verification.
- Pay: Your pay will be set within the range specified in this vacancy announcement and will be based on your qualifications, education, experience, training, and availability of funds.
- Promotion Potential: If the position is advertised with promotion potential, the selectee may be promoted to the full performance level without further competition. Selection at a lower pay band level does not guarantee promotion to the full performance level, nor is the promise of promotion implied.
- DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE: PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. If your resume/ application does not support your questionnaire answers, we will not allow credit for your response(s). Your resume must contain sufficiently detailed information upon which to make a qualification determination.
- Selectee may be required to complete a Public Financial Disclosure Report (OGE Form 278) or a Confidential Financial Disclosure Form (OGE 450).
- Probationary/Trial Period: You may be required to serve a two-year trial period.
Government Travel Card - You must be able to obtain and maintain a Government contractor issued travel card to be used for official business.
How You Will Be Evaluated
This job is being filled under Schedule A hiring authority 5 CFR 213.3102 and is excepted from the competitive civil service. You will be evaluated and deemed either eligible or ineligible based on the relevance and quality of your experience and education, bar membership, and on the required and desired qualifications described above. All eligible applicants will be further evaluated by subject-matter experts.
- Technical Competence
If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience your category can and will be adjusted to more reflect your abilities, and you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
The following documents must be received by the closing date of this announcement:
- Resume - Applicants MUST utilize resumes created using the USAJOBS-formatted Resume Builder (http://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/account/documents/resume/build/
- Unofficial college transcripts - if the position has an education requirement or if you are using education to qualify "Unofficial" transcripts are acceptable. If selected for the position, prior to your appointment, an official transcript will be required.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
How to Apply
- Candidates MUST use USAJOBS-formatted resume using Resume Builder to apply to this position and to ensure that you have submitted a complete application. For tips on preparing your resume see: (https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/faq/application/documents/resume/what-to-include).
- To begin the process, click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Once your application is ready, you'll be sent from USAJOBS to the application system. Follow the prompts to complete your application and the occupational questionnaire. Please ensure that you click the Submit My Answers button at the end of the process.
- Note: To check the status of your application or return to a previous or incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account at www.usajobs, select Application Status, and click on the more information link under the application status for this position.
- To fax supporting documents you are unable to upload, complete this cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf using the following 10542509. Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
- The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 07/31/2019.
- Print this 1203FX form to provide your response to the occupational questionnaire http://www.opm.gov./forms/pdf_fill/OPM1203fx.pdf and
- Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documentations to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
Agency contact information
AddressOffice of General Counsel OGC
1099 14th St NW
Washington, DC 20005
If you are looking to be a part of a dynamic team environment then MCC is the place for you! Visit our Website at http://www.mcc.gov to see the life changing projects our staffs are undertaking. MCC's mission is to reduce poverty through economic growth.
Our model is defined by principles of selectivity, country ownership, transparency, and a focus on results. Our values identify who we are and what is important to us. MCC's values are CLEAR - Collaboration, Learning, Excellence, Accountability and Respect. We recruit staff that will embody and uphold these values.
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Millennium Challenge Corporation, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Upon receipt of the online questionnaire, you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. We will assess your experience and transcript(s) (if appropriate), identify the best-qualified applicants, and refer those applications to the hiring manager for further consideration and interview. We will notify you by email after each of these steps has been completed. We expect to make a final job offer within 40 days after the deadline for applications.
By submitting your application, you are certifying the accuracy of the information contained in your application. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be terminated after you begin work.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/538360900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.