This position is an Open Title 5 Excepted Service Non-Uniformed Personnel position, open to the Public and to Veterans following the Minnesota National Guard Merit Placement plan.Learn more about this agency
LOCATION: 148th Fighter Wing, Duluth, MN
SELECTING OFFICIAL: Mr. Jeffrey Johnson, Comm (218) 788-7444, DSN 825-7444
An Electronic Measurement Equipment Mechanic, WG-2602-12, Installs, tests, repairs, overhauls, fabricates or modifies, calibrates, troubleshoots and certifies highly complex electronic systems components or subassemblies. Installs and tests highly complex electronics equipment. Performs functional tests to locate equipment malfunctions in accordance with accepted trade practices to minimize equipment downtime. Diagnoses malfunctions of systems by thoroughly analyzing operating trends and ensuring repairs are accomplished. Sets up Test Measurement and Diagnostic Equipment (TMDE) and uses this equipment to ensure operational accuracy by performing intricate and complex laboratory and/or on site calibrations and repairs of electronic systems. Uses and maintains tools and equipment. Uses trade tools such as wire strippers, drills, files, dremel tools, soldering irons, and microsoldering units to remove and replace parts. Maintains records and documents actions. Prepares all certification paperwork required and documents work assignments using PMEL Automated Maintenance System (PAMS) computer. Utilizes safety practices and procedures following established safety rules and regulations and maintains a safe and clean work environment. Uses and assures proper fit and placement of required safety equipment and clothing. Performs clean-up duties such as cleaning equipment, sweeping, and returning of equipment to proper locations when not in use. Maintains awareness of lab safety procedures and identifies any observed unsafe practices and/or procedures. Performs other duties as assigned.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- Prior to appointment, an applicant must have a current completed/clear drug test
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period
- Participation in direct deposit is mandatory
- This position is covered by the Domestic Violence Misdemeanor Amendment (30 Sep 96) of the Gun Control Act (Lautenberg Amendment) of 1968. An individual convicted of a qualifying crime of domestic violence may not perform the duties of this position.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate security clearance of the position.
- May occasionally be required to work other than normal duty hours; overtime may be required
- May be required to work rotating shifts or uncommon tours of duty.
- Subject to call back to meet emergency situations.
- The work may require the employee to drive a motor vehicle. An appropriate, valid driver's license may be required for the position.
- This position is designated as Essential Personnel and may be subject to duty in preparation for, or in response to, a state emergency or disaster declaration. This designation will not exceed 14 calendar days per year unless otherwise approved in advance by the TAG.
- Recruitment Incentive of up to $14,000 is authorized in accordance with DOD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 575. The incentive requires a service agreement
- Recruitment incentive is only for new accessions into the MN-Guard Agency. Current full time or former full time employees with the MN-Guard Agency who ended their employment within the last 90-days will be considered for competition for this position, but without the Recruitment Incentive.
- Two selections may be made from this position vacancy announcement.
QualificationsIn order to qualify, you must meet the experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application.
Qualifications will be evaluated based on level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1. Knowledge of mathematical expressions and formulas including algebra and basic trigonometry for application in constructing truth tables, logic equations, power relationships, signal phasing, etc.
2. Knowledge of related electrical, mechanical, optical, pneumatic or hydraulic systems. Comprehensive knowledge of operation, capabilities and limitations of complex electronic systems complicated by a variety of multi-component assemblies and devices.
3. Knowledge of electronic theory to retrieve significant waveforms from raw data stream.
4. Skill in the selection and use of electronic testing equipment and standard hand and power tools of the electronic trade.
5. Ability to apply established techniques and methods of repair, testing, alignment, and calibration of equipment, which serves as test equipment or precision measurement standards, and utilize electronic circuits to measure electronic or electrical quantities to determine the performance characteristics and accuracy of other instruments and equipment. Ability to read and interpret a variety of technical data such as schematic diagrams, blueprints and technical orders relating to the electronics trade.
6. Ability to install, test, calibrate, troubleshoot, overhaul, repair, or fabricate complete electronic systems. Ability to use computer terminals to maintain records and document actions.
Must possess a minimum of three-years of metrology calibration experience and is expected to possess the skill, knowledge and ability to demonstrate Metrology expertise with minimal Supervision, while performing accurate calibration and certification of Test Measurement Diagnostic Equipment (TMDE).
EDUCATION: Must have received a Certificate of Training in the field of Metrology (PMEL/TMDE) Calibration from either the Air Force, Army, Navy, other Federal Agency or commercial equivalent that is accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: T5791000
REMARKS: No PCS available. **Upon selection, individuals will undergo a background check to validate suitability for employment with the federal government as permitted by law, regulation, Presidential order or other authority. Suitability is dependent upon the particular requirements for security clearance, sensitivity level, and DOD IT network access. Items checked include, but are not limited to all criminal history record information, employment history, education and fiscal accountability/responsibility.**
The duties and responsibilities of your job may significantly impact the environment. You are responsible to maintain awareness of your environmental responsibilities as dictated by legal and regulatory requirements, your organization, and its changing mission.
AIR OR ARMY FUNDED: AIR
To view ALL MN National Guard Vacancies, go to: http://www.minnesotanationalguard.org/careers/minnesota.php
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
The Minnesota Department of Military Affairs is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for the position without discrimination for any non-merit reason(s) such as age, race, religion, gender, ethnic origin or non-disqualifying disability. Pre-selection is not only counter-productive to effective recruitment and placement, but also violates Minnesota National Guard Merit Placement principles and will not be tolerated. If you have information or questions regarding this issue, please contact the Equal Employment Manager at 651-282-4472 or 651-282-4078.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Candidates will be evaluated on the basis of appropriate education, experience, training, self-development activities, and special awards. Candidates are considered on the basis of available information on their current application and supporting information that has been provided to this office. To ensure full consideration, applicants are urged to submit information about their training, self-development, outside experience, activities and awards. National Guard military (Part-time) service is considered as full-time experience when evaluated against the qualification requirements for a technician position.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of the following areas of consideration (AOC) based on the Minnesota National Guard Merit Placement Plan:
- Area 1: Current On-board Title 5 Employees (Tenure: 1-Career, 2-Conditional, 3-Indefinite or 4-Term ) - Only those current Minnesota National Guard employees who are in permanent, indefinite, or term technician status as result of being competitively hired by the Minnesota National Guard or Office of Personnel Management agency.
- Area 2: Current On-board Excepted Title 32 Technicians (Tenure: 1-Career, 2-Conditional, 3-Indefinite) - Only those Minnesota National Guard employees who are in permanent technician status as result of being competitively hired within the Minnesota National Guard agency.
- Area 3: Current On-board Federal Employees (Tenure: 1-Career, 2-Conditional, 3-Indefinite?) from another Federal Agency nationwide who are in permanent technician status as result of being competitively hired within that agency. I.e. Title 5 employed outside of the MNNG, Title 5 USAFR.
- Area 4: All federal re-employable eligible employees. (used as a way to attract federal experience without considering all U.S. Citizens - can reach retirees)
- Area 5: U.S. Citizens (to include current ARNG and ANG members.)
Trouble shooting (Electronic Equipment)
- Trouble shooting (Electronic Equipment)
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you MUST submit a complete Application Package which includes:
- Your resume of employment and duties performed.
- Transcripts - if qualifying based on education or the position has an educational requirement (can be a copy)
- If claiming veterans' status, you must provide a copy of your DD-214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, or other acceptable documentation..
- If claiming Veterans' Preference for disability - a copy of your DD Form 214, which must include character of service or a Statement of Service/Proof of Service which must include service dates and character of service. In addition, if claiming 10-point preference and/or 30% Disabled Veteran, you must submit a VA Letter or a disability determination from a branch of the Armed Forces (or documentation of purple heart, if applicable) and a SF 15 (Application for 10-point veteran preference) If supporting documentation is not submitted to support your claim, it WILL result in losing your veteran's preference for this announcement.
- Current Federal employees or reemployment eligibles: a SF-50 that shows your current Position, Grade, Step, and Tenure
Job Information: Vacancy Identification Number (10538462), title (ELECTRONIC MEASUREMENT EQUIPMENT MECHANIC) and grade(12) for which you are applying.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application/Occupational Questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. To view the Occupational Questionnaire, click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10538462
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Agency contact information
AddressMN 148TH MAINTENANCE SQ
4621 PHANTOM DRIVE
DULUTH, MN 55811
MINNESOTA NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 5
This Title 5 position is located at: the Precision Measurement Equipment Laboratory (PMEL), at the 148th/Duluth, ANG, MN. The primary purpose of this position is to perform maintenance, repair, calibration, overhaul, final alignment, and modify/certify manual, semi-automatic systems, flight line test units, laboratory standards of unusually complex precision measurement and data acquisition systems. **A $15,000 Recruitment Incentive is authorized and may be offered to those individuals who meet the training and specialized experience requirements.**
This is a Excepted Service position in the Minnesota National Guard.
**Upon selection, individuals will undergo a background check to validate suitability for employment with the federal government as permitted by law, regulation, Presidential order or other authority. Suitability is dependent upon the particular requirements for security clearance, sensitivity level, and DOD IT network access. Items checked include, but are not limited to all criminal history record information, employment history, education and fiscal accountability/responsibility.**
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Air National Guard Units, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
CONTACTING US: After you have read all the instructions in this vacancy announcement, if you still have questions about this position or the application process, you may contact us at (651) 282-4155.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/537868800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.