The Technology Task Force (TTF) is primarily focused on identifying and investigating anticompetitive conduct in markets in which digital technology is an important dimension of competition, such as online platforms, digital advertising, social networking, software, operating systems, and streaming services. The TTF works closely with economists from the FTC's Bureau of Economics, and coordinates with the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection, which also reviews conduct by technology platforms.Learn more about this agency
As an attorney in the Bureau of Competition, you will perform a variety of legal duties relative to cases or legal issues of extreme difficulty. Often the work of the staff includes advisory functions related to antitrust enforcement policy under the various statutes enforced by the Commission. A successful staff member has interest in and the ability to deal with both legal analysis and economic and practical business issues arising from the matters under investigation. Candidates should have excellent legal research and writing abilities, strong organizational and analytical skills in presenting written argument and excellent oral communications skills. Candidates also should be able to work effectively with other people, exercise sound judgment, and exhibit a strong interest in the work of the agency.
Litigation and antitrust experience involving markets in which digital technology is an important dimension of competition (such as online platforms, digital advertising, social networking, software, operating systems, and streaming services) is highly desired.
This position is not included in the bargaining unit. More specifically, incumbents of this position will:
- Prepare for trial and litigate or negotiate settlements in antitrust matters. Make initial determinations as to whether cases should be investigated; identify legal theories and plans for preliminary investigations; obtain evidence from a variety of sources.
- Confer with government agencies, public authorities, attorneys, businesspersons and other members of the public in order to obtain information relevant to Commission investigations and to provide them with information on matters of law, Commission procedures and policy.
- Prepare antitrust cases for trial by securing and preparing evidence, conferring with witnesses, participating in pretrial conferences, examining and cross-examining witnesses, and drafting legal documents needed during the various stages of litigation.
- Assist higher-grade attorneys in preparing and prosecuting the most complex cases.
- Prepare internal documents for review by the Commission and perform special assignments as directed.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- U.S. citizenship requirement must be met by the closing date of this vacancy.
- This position is subject to a background investigation.
- Males born after December 31, 1959 must register with Selective Service.
- Possess a J.D. or LL.B. degree from an accredited law school.
- Member in good standing of the Bar of a state or territory - US, PR, DC.
- Selectee may be required to serve a two year trial period.
- Selectee may be required to complete a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report.
Applicants must have attained the first professional law degree (LL.B. or J.D.) from an accredited law school and be an active member in good standing of the bar of a state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, or a U.S. territory. Applicants must demonstrate excellent writing skills and be able to work effectively with other people, exercise sound judgment, and exhibit a strong interest in the work of the agency.
Candidates should have excellent legal research and writing abilities, strong organizational and analytical skills in presenting written arguments and excellent oral communication skills. Candidates also should be able to work effectively with other people, exercise sound judgment, and exhibit a strong interest in the work of the agency. Litigation and antitrust experience involving markets in which digital technology is an important dimension of competition (such as online platforms, digital advertising, social networking, software, operating systems, and streaming services) is highly desired.
For appointments to attorney positions: In addition to minimum requirements, active member of the bar in good standing and 24 months of legal experience after graduation from law school.
For appointments to attorney positions: In addition to minimum requirements, active member of the bar in good standing and 42 months of legal experience after graduation from law school.
For attorney appointments: In addition to minimum requirements, active member of the bar in good standing and 60 months of legal experience after graduation from law school.
Note: Legal and nonlegal experience gained in the Federal Government before completing law school does not satisfy post law school experience requirements.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience
THIS POSITION HAS AN EDUCATION REQUIREMENT: You must provide transcripts or other documentation to support your educational claims. All materials must be submitted by the closing date of the announcement. You are strongly encouraged to submit a copy of your transcripts. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application package. Official transcripts will be required from all selectee's prior to receiving an official offer.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: Education Equivalency
This position is in the Excepted Service (Schedule A).
Individuals applying for this announcement are required to complete and submit an online application and all supporting documentation through the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) application system, USAJOBS. Traditional rating and ranking procedures do not apply.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated based on the overall strength of your credentials as demonstrated by your cover letter, resume, writing sample, and experience. The most qualified candidates will be selected for interviews, which will also be considered in making the final decision.
Application of Veterans' Preference: There is no formal rating system for applying veterans' preference to attorney appointments in the excepted service; however, the Federal Trade Commission considers veterans' preference eligibility as a positive factor in attorney hiring. If you are eligible for veterans' preference, you are encouraged to include that information in your cover letter or resume and attach supporting documentation (e.g., DD Form 214 or other substantiating documents) to your submission.
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your résumé showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment and duties performed.
2. Other supporting documents:
- Cover Letter, optional
- Writing Sample, optional
- Graduate transcript(s), if the position has an education requirement - REQUIRED
- Veterans' Preference documentation, if applicable (e.g., DD-214 Member Copy 4 showing type of discharge/character of service, SF-15 Form and related documentation, VA letter, etc.) Career Transition Assistance Program/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program documentation, if applicable (e.g., Certification of Expected Separation, Reduction-In-Force Separation Notice, or Notice of Proposed Removal; SF-50 that documents the RIF separation action; and most recent performance appraisal.)
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
- Follow the prompts to select your résumé and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
Agency contact information
AddressFederal Trade Commission
600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW
Washington, DC 20580
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is a bipartisan federal agency with a unique dual mission to protect consumers and promote competition. For one hundred years, our collegial and consensus-driven agency has championed the interests of American consumers. We challenge anti-competitive mergers and business practices, and ensure that the market works according to consumer preferences. If you would like to become a part of an innovative, dynamic, team dedicated to advancing consumer interests while encouraging innovation and competition in our dynamic economy, then consider joining the FTC team! To learn more information about the FTC please visit https://www.ftc.gov/about-ftc.
The Federal Trade Commission's Bureau of Competition enforces the nation's antitrust laws, which form the foundation of our free market economy. The antitrust laws promote the interests of consumers; they support unfettered markets and result in lower prices and more choices. The Bureau of Competition is comprised of six Litigation Divisions, the Technology Task Force, three Regional Offices, the Premerger Notification Office, the Compliance Division, and the Office of Policy and Coordination. The Bureau of Competition works to stop or prevent anticompetitive mergers and business practices that harm consumers and undermine the competitive process. The Bureau is seeking attorneys for positions in the Technology Task Force.
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/536682200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.