This is a full-time position with the Office of Information Technology at the Supreme Court of the United States in Washington, D.C.Learn more about this agency
Closing Date: Friday, 05/24/2019, 11:59 PM EDT
Note: A security clearance is not required in order to apply. However, the applicant must be able to acquire and retain a Top Secret (TS) clearance as a condition of employment.
Under the guidance of senior staff, the incumbent will perform the full range of tasks and activities involved in developing, coordinating, implementing, and maintaining standards and procedures to protect the security and integrity of information systems and data. The selected candidate will be responsible for the following duties:
- Work with stakeholders at all levels of the organization to communicate the state of information security, inform of possible risks, and suggest ways to improve security;
- Conduct periodic network monitoring and intrusion detection analysis to determine if there have been any attacks on the system;
- Analyze network traffic to identify anomalies and test the information security controls for weaknesses;
- Respond to threats and take mitigating actions to contain the malicious activity and minimize damage, as well as facilitate forensic analysis to determine the source of the threat;
- Design and implement new safeguards to protect the system;
- Work with other IT teams to implement the new safeguards, whether it is in the form of software, hardware, or new operating procedures.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship
- Meet Experience Requirements (see Qualifications)
- Employment is subject to successful completion of a security background check.
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, you must certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System, or are exempt from having to do so under the Selective Service Law. See: www.sss.gov
QualificationsCandidate must have a college degree (computer-related) and/or five years' security-related experience. As a condition of continued employment, the candidate must be able to acquire and retain a Top Secret (TS) clearance. Candidate must possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Demonstrated 5+ years of network design and architecture experience, to include LAN, WAN, and production datacenter environments supporting web-hosting components and infrastructure, including web servers, application servers, load balancers, mail and DNS servers;
- Strong knowledge of firewalls and security appliances and their placement within complex network environments;
- Strong knowledge of TCP/IP network protocols, including common application protocols;
- Ability to use documentation to convert knowledge of general/theoretical concepts into network configurations on a wide range of equipment in a lab and global network environments;
- Strong knowledge of both interior and exterior routing protocols;
- Ability to assist team members in achieving their deliverables (understanding VLANs, routing, moving live hardware between cabinets without losing customer data, implementing automation for multiple platforms, investigating errors, etc.) and enhancing their skills;
- Experience in scripting skills utilizing Python and working knowledge of GitHub and version control best practices;
- Working knowledge of Ansible;
- Ability to balance business needs with security policies;
- Strong, systematic network troubleshooting and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to adapt to new technologies, test them to failure, and identify the strengths/weaknesses of each for decision-makers (research and evaluate new hardware/software);
- Organizational skills with the ability to multitask, take direction, prioritize, and manage multiple activities / tasks to achieve objectives;
- Must be able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- CISSP and other security certifications desired.
Candidate must have a college degree (computer-related) and/or five years' security-related experience.
Working for the Supreme Court of the United States offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance, health benefits, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System. Additional benefits include flexible spending accounts, long-term care insurance, and the SmartBenefits transit subsidy.
How You Will Be Evaluated
We will review and assess your application package in comparison with the posted qualifications for the position.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
How to Apply
You must also complete, print, and sign the OF-306, then upload it along with your resume and cover letter. These three documents are required and must be received by the closing date, 05/24/2019, in order to be considered. Please submit only these documents unless you have prior federal and/or military experience. In that case your most recent SF-50 and/or DD-214 will also be required.
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJobs account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJobs resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
- Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
- It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
- To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJobs account, https://www.usajobs.gov, select the Application Status link and then select the More Information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJobs account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJobs account or your application will be incomplete.
Agency contact information
Human Resources Office
AddressSupreme Court of the United States
1 First Street NE
Washington, DC 20543
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Supreme Court of the United States, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Upon submission, you will receive an e-mail acknowledging receipt of your application. Please be advised that your application will not be considered complete unless all of the required documents have been received. All applicants will be notified once a selection has been made.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/532636800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.