This is an Excepted Service position under Title 42. Applications will be accepted from all groups of qualified U.S. citizens, including Public Health Service Commissioned Corps officers. No previous federal experience is required. This appointment does not confer any entitlement to a position in the competitive service and may provide entitlement to Merit Systems Protection Board (MSPB) appeal rights.Learn more about this agency
As the Director, the incumbent will:
- Provide leadership in developing, implementing and maintaining the agency-wide and government-wide comprehensive, all-hazards approach to preparedness and response activities.
- Advise senior staff members and key agency officials on all activities that affect CDC's preparedness and response activities, policies, programs, projects and initiatives.
- Direct the implementation of the Federal Select Agent Program, in coordination with the US Department of Agriculture.
- Direct the implementation of the Public Health Emergency Preparedness (PHEP) program to help state and local health departments prepare and plan for emergencies.
- Direct the implementation of emergency operations at CDC, including the CDC Emergency Operations Center, to prepare and respond to public health threats.
- Direct the implementation of Federal and Departmental regulations and establish CDC policies and procedures in the areas of public health emergency preparedness and response.
- Exercise leadership to ensure all programs under his/her direction reflect the principles of workforce diversity in the management and operations of recruitment and staffing, employee development, staff assignments and communications.
- Serve as a liaison between CDC/ATSDR and other Federal agencies, with particular emphasis on the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Federal Emergency Management Administration. Also liaise with local, state, national and international organizations in support of CDC's preparedness and response mission.
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
QualificationsBasic Qualifications for RF-0601: Applicants must possess a degree with a major study in an academic field related to the health sciences or allied sciences appropriate to the work of the position. In addition to the basic qualifications requirement, a Ph.D. or other earned doctorate is required in one or more of the following: disease prevention or related health sciences, public health, epidemiology, or social or behavioral science.
Candidates must show clear evidence of specialized experience.
Specialized experience is that which is directly related to the position and which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position, such as experience serving as a principal advisor on strategic direction, coordination, oversight and accountability for agency preparedness and response activities related to public health emergencies. Typically, experience of this nature is gained at or above the GS-14 grade level in the Federal service or its equivalent with state or local government, the private sector, or nongovernmental organizations.
This position has a positive education requirement. Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit transcripts or a list of applicable courses with their application package. This also applies to status applicants who are applying to a position in a different occupational series than they are currently or were previously appointed. Applicants who do not submit their transcripts (or list of applicable course work) will be evaluated based on the information provided in their application package (and/or resume) along with their responses to a self-certification question asking if they meet the basic qualifications listed in the vacancy announcement. Those deemed tentatively qualified will be referred for consideration. If selected, applicants will be required to provide an official transcript prior to the final job offer. If the official transcript does not support the educational requirements of the position, the applicant will be considered ineligible for the position.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that:
the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs
such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program, or that full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university.
For further information, visit: https://www.cdc.gov/jobs/future-applicant-information.html.
The executive level compensation package is commensurate with qualifications and experience and may result in a higher salary than reflected above. This position is located in the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, within the Center for Preparedness and Response, inAtlanta, Georgia.
This position is also being announced under vacancy announcement number HHS-CDC-RF-19-10488007. Applicants must apply to both vacancy announcements to receive consideration for both occupational series. Please carefully read the qualifications requirements in both vacancy announcements.
To view the questionnaire, click on the following link:
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document(s), view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
STANDARDS OF CONDUCT/FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE
CDC Financial Disclosure: HHS fosters a work environment committed to government ethics. Through its ethics program, HHS seeks to prevent conflicts of interest on the part of executive branch employees. A conflict-free HHS allows its public servants to make impartial decisions based on the interests of the public when carrying out governmental responsibilities, to serve as good stewards of public resources, and to loyally adhere to the Constitution and laws of the United States. As an executive branch employee, you will be subject to the Standards of Ethical Conduct and the criminal conflict of interest statutes. An introduction to federal ethics will be available during orientation. You must complete the remainder of your initial ethics training during your first three months at HHS. Further details on this will be provided during orientation.
You might be required to a file a public or confidential financial disclosure report within 30 days of your appointment. You will receive formal notification if a disclosure report is required. This can require information such as recent sources of income, financial interests you hold, and outside activities you participate in, as well as similar information from a spouse or any dependent children. If you have questions, please contact the Deputy Ethics Counselor or Ethics Coordinator for your office, which you can find here: https://www.hhs.gov/about/agencies/ogc/contact-ogc/agency-deputy-ethics-counselors-and-ethics-coordinators/index.html
How You Will Be Evaluated
How You Will Be Evaluated: Applicants must meet the qualification requirements as outlined above to be eligible for further consideration. You must provide detailed evidence of the experience, knowledge, skill, ability, and other personal characteristic requirements, and show how and when they were used. This evidence must include clear and concise examples that show level of accomplishment and degree of responsibility. Qualification determinations will be based on the information provided in your application and the requirements of the position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. If hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection, or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. A 1- year probationary period may be required.
6. Travel, transportation, and moving expenses may be paid.
7. Bargaining Unit Position: No
8. Drug Screening Required: No
9. Recruitment incentive may be authorized: Maybe
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
1. Your Résumé - You are encouraged to use the USAJobs online resume builder to ensure that all required information is in your resume. If you use your own résumé, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose then you must describe your job-related qualifications that include beginning and ending dates for paid and non-paid work experience, hours worked per week, month and year of employment for each job title listed.
2. A complete Assessment Questionnaire
3. Other supporting documents:
Foreign education evaluation
SF-50 (if prior federal service)
Note: This position has a positive education requirement. Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit transcripts or a list of applicable courses with their application package. This also applies to status applicants who are applying to a position in a different occupational series than they are currently or were previously appointed. Applicants who do not submit their transcripts (or list of applicable course work) will be evaluated based on the information provided in their application package (and/or resume) along with their responses to a self-certification question asking if they meet the basic qualifications listed in the vacancy announcement. Those deemed tentatively qualified will be referred for consideration. If selected, applicants will be required to provide an official transcript prior to entry on duty. If the official transcript does not support the educational requirements of the position, the applicant will be considered ineligible for the position.
Failure to submit any of the above mentioned required documents may result in loss of consideration due to an incomplete application package. It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents have been submitted.
For Résumé and Application Tips visit: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Tips
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 06/06/2019.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 06/06/2019 of this announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your résumé and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
If you cannot apply online:
You are encouraged to apply online. If you are unable to apply online, please use the Alternate Application link listed in the Other Information section of this vacancy announcement. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply online if at all possible. Applying online, through your USAJOBS account, will expedite the application process and allow you to check your application. If you utilize the Alternate Application method, your USAJOBS account will not display this application and you will not receive status updates.
Agency contact information
AddressCenter for Preparedness and Response
1600 Clifton Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30333
What exciting career opportunities await you at CDC?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is the agency Americans trust with their lives. As a global leader in public health, CDC is the nation's premier health promotion, prevention, and preparedness agency. Whether we are protecting the American people from public health threats, researching emerging diseases, or mobilizing public health programs with our domestic and international partners, we rely on our employees to make a real difference in the health and well-being of people here and around the world.
This position serves as the Director of the Center for Preparedness and Response (CPR) reporting to the Deputy Director for Public Health Service and Implementation Science (DDPHSIS) at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The incumbent serves as a principal advisor on strategic direction, coordination, oversight and accountability for all CDC preparedness and response activities related to public health emergencies caused by a natural or man-made event.
CDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. When the vacancy announcement closes, an evaluation of your qualifications will be determined by a panel of experts. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview.
You will receive notice via email once this process is completed (generally 4-6 weeks).
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/532548100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.