This position is part of the Department of the Interior, Office of the Secretary, Interior Business Center, Human Resources Management Directorate, HR Management Systems Division (HRMSD), Systems Engineering Branch. The Branch provides design, development, and operational support for multiple systems.Learn more about this agency
- Performs database administration, system development, functional analysis, and backup duties;
- Serves as the database administrator for advanced business application system research and life cycle development;
- Assists with initial development and implementation of IBC approved initiatives;
- Supports ongoing operations, delivers new clients' reports, and maintains and optimizes services to clients;
- Researches and evaluates potential functional solutions to meet client automated system requirements, particularly in the areas of data warehousing, and other information technology and software application initiatives;
- Serves as an analyst for the design, development, testing, and implementation of new environments;
- Plans, designs, implements, and maintains AMTSB Auxiliary Systems products and projects, keeping abreast of progress of assignments/projects, and suggesting adjustments in team/project assignments in accordance with changing priorities and deadlines;
- Presents plans and recommendations for concurrence and approval to IBC clients, project management, DOI representatives, and user advisory groups;
- Provides configuration management support assigned systems to include major elements of this discipline as they relate to system documentation and system components;
- Creates business solutions to unique client requirements through novel approaches to system design or system modifications.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Suitable for Federal employment, determined by background investigation.
- Direct Deposit of pay is required.
- Selective Service registration required for male applicants, unless exempt.
- Status candidates must meet time-in-grade (see Qualifications).
QualificationsAll applicants must meet the following requirements:
Bachelor's degree in computer science
Bachelor's degree with 30 semester hours in a combination of mathematics, statistics, and computer science. At least 15 to 30 semester hours must have included any combination of statistics and mathematics that included differential and integral calculus. Applicants should possess sufficient knowledge to understand the fundamental concepts and techniques of computer science. Courses designed to provide an introduction to computer science techniques and methodologies, to problems of system design, and to specialized fields are acceptable. Courses or experience in teaching elementary, business, or shop mathematics are not acceptable.
One year of specialized experience that is comparable in level of difficulty and responsibility to the GS-12 in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes but is not limited to experience applying object-oriented programming, scripting, and markup languages to the development, implementation, and maintenance of data analytics systems; building complex models supporting multiple operating environments; applying analysis, design, development, and testing techniques to large automated data processing systems; and identifying and developing best practice concepts as they pertain to system improvements and security practices.
You must submit a copy of your legible unofficial or official transcripts with your application package. If selected, you will be required to submit a copy of your OFFICIAL transcripts.
All academic degrees and course work must be from accredited or pre-accredited institutions.
Only experience and education obtained by the closing date of this announcement will be considered.
TIME-IN-GRADE: Current career or career-conditional employees of the Federal government, or former career or career-conditional employees, who have a break in service of less than one year, are required to meet the time-in-grade restriction of one year of Federal experience at the next lower grade, with few exceptions outlined in 5 CFR 300.603(b).
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
You MUST provide legible unofficial or official transcripts to support your educational claims. If selected, you will be required to provide OFFICIAL transcripts.
All materials must be submitted by the closing date of the announcement.
Only education from institutions which are accredited or preaccredited/candidate for accreditation may be used to meet education requirements.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
Career Transition Assistance Programs: These programs apply to employees who have been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: 1) meet CTAP or ICTAP eligibility criteria; 2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 85 or above; and 3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your CTAP or ICTAP eligibility. For more information: http://www.opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp).
Appointment Authorities: For more information on appointment authority eligibility requirements:
Persons with Disabilities-Schedule A
Special Hiring Authorities for Veterans
Special Hiring Authority for Certain Military Spouses
Other Special Appointment Authorities
OPM Interchange Agreement and Other Miscellaneous Authorities
The duties of this position are suitable for occasional telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework with supervisor approval and if they meet the eligibility criterion in the 2010 Telework Act.
Stipulations of Employment:
Selection may require completion of a 1-year probationary period.
This position allows for a flexible work schedule.
This position is covered by a Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).
DOI uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Applications: help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=Alternate_Application_Information
This vacancy announcement may be used to fill similar positions within 90 days.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Once the application process is complete, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine whether you meet the job qualifications listed on this announcement. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job. If you are found to be among the top candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Analytical Thinking
- Technical Competency - Configuration Management
- Technical Competency - Data Management
- Technical Competency - Database Administration
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Resume listing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment mm/yy and duties performed.
2. SF-50 or DD-214
- Current/Former Career/Career-Conditional Eligible: You must submit your most recent non-award Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50 or equivalent) showing that you are/were in the competitive service, as well as the highest grade (or promotion potential) held, on a permanent basis
4. Other supporting documents:
- SF-15 Form and VA letter, or certification of expected discharge or release from active duty from Veterans for consideration under Veteran hiring authorities
- Non-competitive appointment authority documentation, if applicable
- Career Transition Assistance Program/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program Documentation, if applicable (e.g. Certification of Expected Separation, Reduction-In-Force Separation Notice, or Notice of Proposed Removal; SF-50 that documents the RIF separation action; and most recent performance appraisal)
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
- Cover letter, optional
Do not upload Adobe portfolio documents. Adobe portfolio documents are not viewable by our agency's staffing offices.
It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents have been submitted prior to the closing date of the announcement.
Career Transition Assistance Programs: These programs apply to employees who have been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: 1) meet CTAP or ICTAP eligibility criteria; 2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 85 or above; and 3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your CTAP or ICTAP eligibility. For more information: http://www.opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section of this vacancy.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply Online to access an online application. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account or you may need to create a new account.
- You will be taken to an online application. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation, and submit the application.
- Read the Eligibility questions carefully. The questions address if you are eligible to apply to this JOA. Your responses will affect your consideration for the position. You may qualify for more than one eligibility, so please choose carefully. You will only be considered under the options you have selected. If you respond that you do not meet any of the eligibility questions, you will not be considered for this position.
- You will receive an email notification when your application has been received for the announcement.
- To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the More Information link for this position. The Application Status page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and your responses submitted to the online application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- You may preview the Assessment Questionnaire at: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10467750
Agency contact information
AddressIBC HRD HR Management Systems Division
7301 W. Mansfield Ave.
Denver, CO 80235
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Office of the Secretary of the Interior, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
For status updates on your application, please follow the directions listed above in the How to Apply section. Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. If you are selected for an interview for this position, you will be contacted directly. A final job offer for this position is typically made within several weeks after the closing date of the vacancy announcement. After confirming a job offer, all other applicants will be notified of their non-selection.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/529818000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.