Who May be Considered:
- U.S. Citizens
More than one selection may be made from this announcement. Learn more about this agency
Joining the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) means being part of the team focused on securing the Nation's physical and cyber infrastructure against threats to public health and safety, economy, and national security. Within CISA, the Cybersecurity Division leads cybersecurity efforts for CISA as the Nation's flagship civilian cyber defense organization. The division collaborates with partners across the government and private sector to enhance the Nation's cybersecurity by sharing information, providing cybersecurity services and technical assistance, as well as through education and awareness.
Visit www.dhs.gov/cisa to learn more about CISA and how you can be part of the team to Defend Today; Secure Tomorrow.
Typical work assignments include:
- Develop and interpret cybersecurity policies, procedures, and strategies.
- Communicate the value of information technology (IT) security throughout all levels of internal and external , mainly through direct engagement and public speaking.
- Develop cybersecurity exercise scenarios based on information technology (IT) integration/interoperability.
- Review proposed new systems, networks, and software designs for potential security risks.
- Resolve integration issues related to the implementation of new systems with the existing infrastructure.
- Establish guidelines and performance expectations for staff members;develop work improvement plans, recommend personnel actions as necessary.
25% or less - 1-5 nights of travel per month may be required for this position
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this position
- You must successfully pass a background investigation
- Selective Service registration required
- You must be able to obtain and hold a Top Secret/SCI security clearance
- Applying to this announcement certifies that you give permission for DHS to share your application with others in DHS for similar positions.
- You must submit to a drug test and receive a negative test result prior to appointment to this position. After appointment, you may be subject to periodic random drug testing.
- Relocation expenses are not authorized. Other recruitment incentives may be authorized.
- Appointments are subject to the availability of funds.
- Employees who are initially appointed to supervisory positions must serve a supervisory probationary period for one year.
QualificationsBasic Requirements: You must possess IT related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies: reviewing work to ensure it is in line with established standards or to identify deficiencies (Attention to Detail); collaborating with customers to identify their information technology needs or to resolve their hardware and software problems (Customer Service); explaining technical information orally to non-technical audiences (Oral Communication); and evaluating alternatives to recommend solutions to hardware or software problems (Problem Solving).
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, you qualify for the GS-14 grade level (starting salary $114,590) if you possess one year of specialized experience at the GS-13 grade level performing the following duties:
1) Promote awareness of cyber policy and strategy as appropriate among Federal, State, Local and private sector partners.
2) Analyze assessment data in order to present findings to senior leaders and stakeholders.
3) Deliver key mitigation capabilities to owners and operators that are designed to reduce risk to the nation's critical cyber infrastructure.
4) Direct the work of subordinate staff (i.e. assigning work, developing performance standards, evaluating work performance, making authoritative decisions regarding personnel actions, etc.).
NOTE: The contents of your resume must fully and explicitly support this response in its entirety. Otherwise, you will be found ineligible.
National Service Experience (i.e., volunteer experience): Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Current or Former Political Appointees: The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) must authorize employment offers made to current or former political appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C, Non-career SES or Presidential Appointee employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information to the Human Resources Office.
Qualifications Must Be Met
The qualification requirements listed above must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
ESSENTIAL PERSONNEL: This position may be designated as essential personnel. Essential personnel must be able to serve during continuity of operation events without regard to declarations of liberal leave or government closures due to weather, protests, and acts of terrorism or lack of funding. Failure to report for or remain in this position may result in disciplinary or adverse action in accordance with applicable laws, rules, and regulations (5 U.S.C. § 7501-7533 and 5 CFR Part 752, as applicable).
Training (Mandatory): Mandatory training is required which must be successfully completed and other training may occur as necessary for success in the position.
May be required to travel both domestically and abroad.
DHS offers competitive salaries and an attractive benefits package, including: health, dental, vision, life, and long-term care insurance; retirement plan; Thrift Savings Plan [similar to a 401(k)]; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; personal leave days; and paid federal holidays. Other benefits may include: flexible work schedules; telework; tuition reimbursement; transportation subsidies; uniform allowance; health and wellness programs; and fitness centers. DHS is committed to employee development and offers a variety of employee training and developmental opportunities. For more information, go to the DHS Careers website and select Benefits. Disabled veteran leave will be available to any Federal employee hired on or after November 5, 2016, who is a veteran with a service-connected disability rating of 30 percent or more.
This position has been designated excluded from bargaining unit representation under the national security provision of 5 USC Section 7112(B)(6).
All employees are required to participate in Direct Deposit/ Electronic Funds Transfer for salary payments.
If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete an Optional Form 306, Declaration for Federal Employment, and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application, prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment, dismissal after beginning work, fine, or imprisonment.
DHS uses e-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
You are encouraged to apply online. If you are unable to apply online, please use the Alternate Application link listed in the Other Information section of this vacancy announcement. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply online if at all possible. Applying online, through your USAJOBS account, will expedite the application process and allow you to check your application status as well as verify the documentation submitted with your application. If you utilize the Alternate Application method, your USAJOBS account will not display this application and you will not receive status updates.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Under the provisions of the Direct-Hire Authority, veterans' preference does not apply.
We will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. If you meet the minimum qualifications, we will use a job questionnaire to further evaluate your experience, education, and training. The competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform this job are:
- Oral Communication
- Planning and Evaluating
- Technology Awareness
If you are determined qualified, you may be referred to the hiring manager for consideration and may be called for an interview. Preview the Assessment Questionnaire, click https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10390005.
Interagency/Career Transition Assistance Program (I/CTAP) Eligibles: If you have never worked for the federal government, you are not I/CTAP eligible. View information about I/CTAP eligibility on OPM's Career Transition Resources website. To be considered well qualified under I/CTAP, you must be rated at a minimum score of 85 for this position. In addition, you must submit the supporting documents listed under the required documents section of this announcement.
Interview Requirement: Interviews may be required for this position. Failure to complete the interview may result in removal from further consideration. The interview process may consist of a in-person or phone panel interview.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
1. Your resume
2. Your responses to the job questionnaire
3. Are you claiming special priority selection rights under the Interagency/Career Transition Assistance Program (I/CTAP)? Submit:
- a copy of your agency notice,
- a copy of your most recent performance rating, and
- a copy of your most recent SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, noting your current position, grade level, and duty location.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
Your application must be received by 11:59PM EST on 04/04/2019. To begin your online application:
You will need to create a login.gov account, if you don't already have one. Your old USAJOBS username and password will no longer work. You'll need to:
- Create a login.gov account - you only need to do this once.
- Enter an email address during the account set up - use the same email address you use for USAJOBS (your primary or secondary email address).
- Create a new password.
- Have a working phone number (mobile or landline) near you - login.gov will send you a security code.
- Finish setting up your login.gov account.
- Once you've finished setting up your login.gov account, you'll go back to USAJOBS to finish the process. Double check your USAJOBS Profile to make sure all of your information is accurate.
- You need to use your login.gov email address, password and security code every time you want to sign into USAJOBS.
- Follow the prompts in USAJOBS to take the online questionnaire, and submit the required documents. See Required Documents section for more details.
You also can't use an email address you share with someone else.
** For any issues signing into login.gov, go to https://login.gov/contact/
Agency contact information
Philadelphia Services Branch
1616 North Ft. Myer Drive 18th Floor
Arlington, VA 22209
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling on those who want to help protect American interests and secure our Nation. DHS Components work collectively to prevent terrorism; secure borders and our transportation systems; protect the President and other dignitaries; enforce and administer immigration laws; safeguard cyberspace; and ensure resilience to disasters. We achieve these vital missions through a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
The Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) leads the national effort to defend critical infrastructure against the threats of today, while working with partners across all levels of government and the private sector to secure against the evolving risks of tomorrow. CISA's mission includes protecting the Federal Government's networks and physical infrastructure, to helping entities in the public and private sectors manage potential risk, to enhancing public safety communications at all levels of government. CISA's multi-faceted mission is home to a wide range of career fields including cybersecurity, program management, business administration, communications, and data science.
This announcement is issued under the Direct Hire Authority (DHA) to recruit for positions for which there is a critical hiring need. Selectee(s) will receive a career or career-conditional appointment in the competitive service and may be required to serve a one year probationary period.
Once you submit your application, we will assess your experience and training, identify the best-qualified applicants, and refer those applications to the hiring manager for further consideration and interviews. We will notify you by email after each of these steps has been completed. Your status will also be updated on USAJOBS throughout the process. To check your status, log on to your USAJOBS account, click on "Application Status," and then click "More Information." We expect to make a job offer within 30-60 days after the deadline for applications. If you are selected, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
View more information on applying for federal employment.
Thank you for your interest in the Department of Homeland Security, Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency!
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/528326200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.