As a Senior Design Strategist, you will be responsible for developing, planning for, and conducting quantitative research which is vital to the mission of GSA.
Location of position: This position is located in the General Services Administration (GSA) Office of the Customer Experience (OCE) in Washington, DC.
We are currently filling one vacancy, but additional vacancies may be filled as needed.
This is NOT a virtual position!Learn more about this agency
Develops, plans for, and conducts quantitative and qualitative research including: Competitive Analysis, Usability Testing, Contextual Inquiry, etc.
Improves the user experience and drives product and service excellence by leveraging empirical research methods from computer science, quantitative social science, statistics, econometrics, data science, ethnographic, and other fields to understand user behavior and extract meaningful patterns from large data sets.
Collects and analyzes quantitative and qualitative data from applicable sources including interviews, usability test sessions, surveys, secondary research, etc.
Provides perspective on quantitative and qualitative data to help stakeholders understand their users; identifies and quantifies problems; and embarks on new research areas worth exploring through innovative methods.
Designs and plans creative research, including sample design, screeners, field guides, etc.
Synthesizes and thinks about systems level patterns and frameworks.
Communicates using writing, visuals and verbal communication.
Makes research findings relevant and impactful for design and action through a variety of formats such as insights, stories, videos, experiences and exhibits.
Occasional travel - Maybe required to attend job related training, conferences, and/or events.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- US Citizens and National (Residents of American Samoa and Swains Island)
- Meet all eligibility criteria within 30 days of the closing date
- Register with Selective Service, if you are a male born after 12/31/1959
If selected, you must meet the following conditions:
- Receive authorization from OPM on any job offer you receive, if you are or were (within the last 5 years) a political Schedule A, Schedule C or Non-Career SES employee in the Executive Branch.
- Serve a one year probationary period, if required.
- Undergo and pass a background investigation (Tier 4 investigation level).
- Have your identity and work status eligibility verified if you are not a GSA employee. We will use the Department of Homeland Security’s e-Verify system for this. Any discrepancies must be resolved as a condition of continued employment.
- Complete a financial disclosure report to verify that no conflict, or an appearance of conflict, exists between your financial interest and this position
For each job on your resume, provide:
- the exact dates you held each job (from month/year to month/year)
- number of hours per week you worked (if part time).
If you have volunteered your service through a National Service program (e.g., Peace Corps, Americorps), we encourage you to apply and include this experience on your resume.
For a brief video on creating a Federal resume, click here.
The GS-15 salary range starts at $134,789.00 per year.
If you are a new federal employee, your starting salary will likely be set at the Step 1 of the grade for which you are selected.
To qualify, you must have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-14 level or higher in the Federal service.
Specialized experience is experience developing, planning, and conducting qualitative and quantitative research including competitive analysis, usability testing, and contextual inquiry.
Bargaining Unit status: Not Applicable
Relocation-related expenses are not approved and will be your responsibility.
Travel expenses associated with interviews may be approved. Determinations will be made on a case-by-case basis.
On a case-by-case basis, the following incentives may be approved:
· Recruitment incentive if you are new to the federal government
· Relocation incentive if you are a current federal employee
· Credit toward vacation leave if you are new to the federal government
If you are eligible under Merit Promotion, you may also apply under Vacancy Announcement #1900329AAMP. You must apply separately to each announcement to be considered for both.
How You Will Be Evaluated
We will use a method called Category Rating to assess your application. Here’s how it will work:
- You will be scored on the questions you answer during the application process, which will measure your possession of the following competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- •Skill in designing research programs that include qualitative and quantitative methods
•Ability to translate data into insight, strategy and design direction
•Ability to project goals and research questions into well thought-out research plans
•Knowledge of field research, ethnography, lab-based user testing, remote testing, concept testing, and survey design.
•Ability to communicate.
•Skill in working with modern user research tools, including analytic tools for data analysis
•Knowledge of current research methods and the passion for following trends in new methods from industry and academia
•Skill in client negotiation techniques.
•Ability to work with digital technologies.
•Skill in developing and implementing innovative and creative solutions to complex problems
•Ability to be self-managed while working on several projects simultaneously in a collaborative environment
- Your answers to the questions will be used to place you in one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, or Qualified [If the use of 4 categories is justified, adjust verbiage].
- We will verify your answers to the questions in your resume. If your resume doesn’t support your answers, we may lower your score, which could place you in a lower category.
- Within each category, veterans will receive selection priority over non-veterans.
Additional assessments may be used, and, if so, you will be provided with further instructions.
If you are eligible under Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan or GSA’s Career Transition Assistance Plan(ICTAP/CTAP), you must receive a score of 85 or higher to receive priority.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
ALL required documents must be submitted before the closing date. Review the following list to determine what you need to submit.
You must submit a portfolio with your application package. Applicants are required to provide a portfolio of previous work. The items in the portfolio should not be created specifically for this application. Your portfolio must be a sample of previous work that demonstrate use of user experience design, interaction design, design research methods, and insights synthesis. It must be provided as either an attached PDF or as a link to a portfolio website in the application.
If you are claiming veterans’ preference:
- Copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty, DD-214 that shows the dates of your active duty service. If selected, a DD-214 showing your type of discharge (member 4 copy) will be required prior to appointment.
- If you are claiming 10-point preference or derived preference (a spouse, widow or widower, or parent of a deceased or disabled veteran), submit both of the following in addition to the DD-214: (a) completed SF-15 form; and (b) proof of your entitlement (refer to SF-15 for complete list).
If you are active duty military - Certification on a letterhead from your military branch that includes your rank, character of service (must be under honorable conditions) & military service dates including discharge/release date (must be no later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted).
If you are ICTAP/CTAP eligible - submit a, b, and c: (a) proof of eligibility including agency notice; (b) SF-50, and (c) most recent performance appraisal.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
You will have access to many benefits including:
- Health insurance (choose from a wide range of plans)
- Life insurance coverage with several options
- Sick leave and vacation time, including 10 paid holidays per year
- Thrift Savings Plan (similar to a 401(k) plan)
- Flexible work schedules
- Transit and child care subsidies
- Flexible spending accounts
- Long-term care insurance
- Training and development
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
You must submit a complete online application including any required documents prior to 11:59 pm Eastern Time on the closing date of the Announcement. Errors or omissions may result in your not being considered for this vacancy. You can modify/complete your application any time before the vacancy date/time deadline. Simply return to USAJOBS, select the vacancy, and update your application. For more detailed instructions on how to apply, read the Apply for a GSA Job on the GSA website.
To begin, click the Apply Online button on the vacancy announcement.
- Sign in or register on USAJobs and select a resume and documents to include in your application.
- Once you have clicked Apply for this position now, you will be taken to the GSA site to complete the application process.
- Click the Apply To This Vacancy and complete all steps in the application process until the Confirmation indicates your application is complete. If you click Return to USAJobs or get timed out prior to receiving confirmation, your application will not be submitted and cannot be considered for this vacancy.
- Note: Review the REQUIRED DOCUMENTS section of this announcement to determine which apply to you and must be submitted online. You may choose one or more of the following options to submit your document(s): Upload (from your computer); USAJOBS (click the "USAJOBS" link to complete the transfer process) or FAX (read the “Fax instructions” provided prior to printing the Fax Cover Sheet and faxing your information).
Need Assistance in Applying? Contact the HR representative listed on the announcement prior to the application deadline. We are available to assist you Monday-Friday during normal business hours. You must receive HR approval before deviating from these instructions. Be sure to APPLY EARLY as most assessments must be completed fully and submitted before the announcement closing.
Agency contact information
AddressGSA, Office of the Customer Experience
General Services Administration
Washington Area Operations Center
1800 F Street NW
Washington, District of Columbia 20405
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Office of the Customer Experience, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
After the closing date/deadline:
- ELIGIBILITY/QUALIFICATIONS: Applicant eligibility and qualifications are reviewed.
- REFERRAL TO MANAGEMENT: Eligible/Qualified applicants are referred to management for review and possible interview.
- SELECTION/TENTATIVE JOB OFFER: If a selection is made, a Tentative Offer is extended to the selectee and suitability and/or security background investigation is conducted.
- FINAL JOB OFFER: A final job offer is made (typically within 40 days after the closing date/deadline for applications).
- FINAL COMMUNICATION TO APPLICANTS: Once the position is filled, we will notify all applicants of their final status. You may check your status by logging into USAJOBS. Go to My USAJOBS and then to Applications.
Thank you for your interest in working for U.S. General Services Administration!
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/528299900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.