This position is located within the Office of Security, Continuity, and Emergency Preparedness (SCEP) of the Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC). The incumbent will serve as a security specialist tasked with supporting various security disciplines including industrial, information, personnel, physical, and communications security.Learn more about this agency
- Perform a full range of moderately difficult functional security duties and assignments in supporting the following security specialties: information, personnel, and physical security.
- Apply contemporary security program philosophy, techniques, and regulatory requirements to resolve routine security policy and procedural problems.
- Interpret/adapt guidelines, Executive Orders, directives, regulations, and work directions for application to specific security requirements and problems as they apply to the agency.
- Independently review, analyze and recommend positive courses of actions to unique organizational mission security problems not resolvable by application of standard regulatory requirements.
- Review, evaluate, and adjudicate reports of investigations, personnel files, and other records to determine whether to grant, deny, revoke, suspend, or restrict security clearances consistent with national security and/or suitability issues.
- Advise management on matters about reinvestigation requirements, personnel assurance programs (i.e., ongoing checks on employee reliability), and related matters concerning the maintenance of current clearances.
- Classified Information: Assist in the planning, development, and implementation of security policies/procedures to ensure proper safeguarding of classified material in accordance with federal and OPIC policies.
- Physical Security: Ensure the protection of sensitive/classified information, personnel, facilities, installations, or other sensitive materials, resources, or processes against criminal, terrorist, or hostile intelligence activities.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- US Citizenship is required.
- Incumbent is required to obtain and maintain a Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmental Information security clearance.
- Direct Deposit of pay is required.
- Selective Service registration required for male applicants, unless exempt.
- One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-07 level. Specialized experience is that which has equipped the applicant with the competencies to successfully perform the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the position to be filled. Specialized experience for this position is experience performing security related duties related to: Physical Security, Access Control, Administrative Security, and Classification Management. Conducting personnel and information security investigations; reviewing/evaluating/analyzing security programs; and processing personnel security investigations for sensitive positions using prescribed standards and procedures; OR
- A master's or equivalent graduate degree; or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree; or LL.B. or J.D., if related in one of the following fields economics, business management and administration, international studies, international trade and commerce; OR
- A Combination of education and experience as list above.
A written test is not required.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
If qualifying based on EDUCATION, you MUST provide transcripts or other documentation to support your educational claims. Unless otherwise stated: (1) official or unofficial transcripts are acceptable, or (2) you may submit a list with all of your courses, grades, semester, year, and credit for the course. All materials must be submitted by the closing date of the announcement.
Only education from institutions which are accredited or preaccredited/candidate for accreditation may be used to meet education requirements.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
The duties of this position are suitable for telework only during an emergency or natural disaster.
Stipulations of Employment:
Selection may require completion of a 1-year probationary period.
Incumbent may be subject to random drug and/or alcohol testing during employment.
This position requires a TS/SCI (Top Secret//Sensitive Compartmental Information) clearance that must be initiated prior to appointment. You will be subject to a 5-year periodic investigation and must be able to obtain and maintain a TS/SCI clearance. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
This position allows for a flexible work schedule.
OPIC uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify.
This position is being advertised concurrently with vacancy announcement #OPIC-19-MP-10447115DC using Merit Promotion procedures. If interested, refer to that announcement to determine if you meet merit promotion requirements and can apply to that announcement. NOTE: You must apply separately to each announcement in order to be considered under both.
This vacancy announcement may be used to fill similar positions within 90 days.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application: https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=Alternate_Application_Information
How You Will Be Evaluated
For Category Rating: Once the application process is complete, qualified candidates will be assigned to a quality category. The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position. The categories for this announcement are defined as: Best-Qualified, Well-Qualified, and Qualified. Your resume and supporting documentation will then be used to determine if you are qualified for this job. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job. If you are found to be among the top candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Attention to Detail
- Customer Service
- Interpersonal Skills
- Oral Communication
- Physical and Personnel Security
- Technical Competency - Personnel Security Management
- Written Communication
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Resume listing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment mm/yy and duties performed.
2. Other supporting documents:
Do not submit photographs with your application package. Documents with photographs may not be seen by hiring officials - you must remove your image from any badges, licenses, etc.Do not upload Adobe portfolio documents. Adobe portfolio documents are not viewable by our agency's staffing offices.
- College transcript(s), if qualifying based on education.
- Veterans' Preference documentation, if applicable (e.g. DD-214 Member Copy 4 showing type of discharge/character of service, SF-15 Form and related documentation, VA letter, etc.)
- Career Transition Assistance Program/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program Documentation, if applicable (e.g. Certification of Expected Separation, Reduction-In-Force Separation Notice, or Notice of Proposed Removal; SF-50 that documents the RIF separation action; and most recent performance appraisal.)
- Cover Letter, optional
It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents have been submitted prior to the closing date of the announcement.
Career Transition Assistance Programs: These programs apply to employees who have been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: 1) meet CTAP or ICTAP eligibility criteria; 2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 85 or above; and 3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your CTAP or ICTAP eligibility. For more information: http://www.opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section of this vacancy.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply Online to access an online application. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account or you may need to create a new account.
- You will be taken to an online application. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation, and submit the application.
- You will receive an email notification when your application has been received for the announcement.
- To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the More Information link for this position. The Application Status page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and your responses submitted to the online application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- You may preview the Assessment Questionnaire at: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10447136
Agency contact information
AddressOverseas Private Investment Corporation
1100 New York Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20527
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Overseas Private Investment Corporation, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
For status updates on your application, please follow the directions listed above in the How to Apply section. Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. If you are selected for an interview for this position, you will be contacted directly. A final job offer for this position is typically made within several weeks after the closing date of the vacancy announcement. After confirming a job offer, all other applicants will be notified of their non-selection.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/527274100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.