The incumbent will provide oversight to a team responsible for providing support for all Case Management Systems Office applications and systems. The technical environment includes Informix, SQL Server, .Net, Java, and Perl running on physical and virtual Linux and Windows servers connected to SAN Devices with failover capabilities between geographically dispersed datacenters. This hands-on position requires technical and non-technical interaction.Learn more about this agency
The Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts is seeking dynamic, self-motivated, exceptional Senior Systems Administrator interested in the challenge of identifying root causes for enterprise level complex mission focused application system issues. As a member of the Production Support Team, you will provide support for the following national application systems in geographically dispersed cloud hosted environments; Probation and Pretrial Case Tracking System, Law Enforcement Notification System, Access to Law Enforcement Systems, Electronic Reporting System, Safety and Information Reporting System, Decision Support System, and the Case Management Electronic Case Filing Systems. You will be responsible for identifying the root cause of system problems, restoration of services within approved SLAs, coordinating the implementation of infrastructure and software upgrades and patches, identifying trends and engineering solutions to help create better, more robust, and stable environment for the U.S. Courts.
The duties of the position may include, but are not limited to:
- Overseeing a team of systems, network, and database administrators for case management and related systems for federal appellate, district, and bankruptcy court judges and staff, probation and pretrial services officers, federal defenders, and external stakeholders.
- Facilitating requirements gathering and analysis.
- Designing operational reports associated with applications, servers, databases, and Web Services.
- Leveraging and implementing best practices to improve high availability and stability of mission critical applications and systems.
- Maintaining team process alignment towards achieving the organization's strategic objectives and goals.
- Assisting the team in executing their role in key operational processes.
- Driving and leading team operational process improvements to full implementation.
- Leading and mentoring personnel to ensure efficient operation of the infrastructure.
- Holding accountable all team members and internal/external partners for delivering on established standards and project timelines.
- Supporting the implementation of change to drive efficiencies and reducing risk.
- Providing technical oversight of all Infrastructure projects.
- Providing technical oversight of all changes to the enterprise systems supported by CMSO.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- All information is subject to verification. Applicants are advised that false answers or omissions of information on application materials or inability to meet the following conditions may be grounds for non-selection, withdrawal of an offer of employment, or dismissal after being employed.
- Selection for this position is contingent upon completion of OF-306, Declaration of Federal Employment during the pre-employment process and proof of U.S. citizenship for competitive status positions or conversion to a competitive status position with the Administrative Office of the US Courts. In instances where non-citizens are considered for hire into temporary or any other position with non competitive status or when it is confirmed by the AO's Human Resources Office that there are no qualified U.S. citizens for a competitive status position (unless prohibited by a law or statue), non-citizens must provide proof of authorization to work in the United States and proof of entitlement to receive compensation. Additional information on the employment of non-citizens can be found at http://www.usajobs.gov/Help/working-in-government/non-citizens. For a list of documents that may be used to provide proof of citizenship or authorization to work in the United States, please refer to Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification.
- All new AO employees will be required to complete a FBI fingerprint-based national criminal database and records check and pass a public trust suitability check.
- You will be required to serve a trial period if selected for a first-time appointment to the Federal government, transferring from another Federal agency, or serving as a first-time supervisor. Failure to successfully complete the trial period may result in termination of employment. This does not apply to current federal Judiciary employees.
- Relocation expenses may be provided, but only if authorized by the Director of the AO.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- All requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
Applicants must have demonstrated experience as listed below. This requirement is according to the AO Classification, Compensation, and Recruitment Systems which include interpretive guidance and reference to the OPM Operating Manual for Qualification Standards for General Schedule Positions.
Basic Requirements: You must have Information Technology (IT) related experience which demonstrates proficiency in each of the following competencies:
- Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
- Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
- Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
Specialized Experience: Applicants must have at least one full year (52 weeks) of specialized experience which is in or directly related to the line of work of this position. Specialized experience is demonstrated experience providing Information Technology infrastructure support, Information Technology problem management, DevOps, systems planning, security principles, and general software management best practices.
The following certifications are desired but not required:
- Microsoft MCSA/MCSE
- Redhat Linux RHSA
- DBA certification in IBM Informix
- ITIL Foundations
This position does not require education to qualify.
The AO is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How You Will Be Evaluated
We will review your resume and supporting documentation and compare this information to your responses on the occupational questionnaire to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for this job. If you meet the minimum qualifications for this job, we will evaluate your application package, to assess the quality, depth, and complexity of your accomplishments, experience, and education as they relate to the requirements listed in this vacancy announcement.
You should be aware that your ratings are subject to evaluation and verification. If a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher than is supported by your resume and/or narrative responses, you will be assigned a rating commensurate to your described experience. Failure to submit the mandatory narrative responses will result in not receiving full consideration and/or rating credit. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you, withdrawing an offer of employment, or dismissal after being employed.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
For this job announcement the following documents and/or information are required:
- Resume - Any written format you choose to describe your job-related qualifications.
- Citizenship - Include country of citizenship on resume.
- Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50) - All applicants outside of the AO must submit a copy of your latest SF-50 to verify current or former Federal employment status.
- Veterans Preference documentation - Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214), if applicable Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference (SF-15) and an official statement, dated 1991 or later, from the Department of Veterans Affairs or from a branch of the Armed Forces, certifying to the veteran's present receipt of compensation.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 03/29/2019to receive consideration. To begin, click:
- Apply Online to access an online application. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account or you may need to create a new account.
- You will be taken to an online application. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation, and submit the application.
- You will receive an email notification when your application has been received for the announcement.
- To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the More Information link for this position. The Application Status page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and your responses submitted to the online application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- If you would like to preview the occupational questionnaire before applying, click on https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10439387.
Agency contact information
AddressDepartment of Program Services
One Columbus Circle, NE
Washington, DC 20544
The Administrative Office (AO) of the United States Courts supports, through excellence and innovation, the constitutional and statutory mission of the federal judiciary to provide equal justice under the law as an independent and equal branch of government.
The AO, an agency of the Judicial Branch of the Federal government, is committed to serving and supporting the Federal court system of the United States. The AO provides a broad range of legislative, legal, financial, technology, management, administrative and program support services to the Federal courts.
AO positions are classified and paid under a broad-banded system with the exception of positions in the AO Executive Service. Salary is commensurate with experience. Most AO employees are eligible for full Federal and Judiciary benefits.
The AO is committed to attracting the best and brightest applicants in our support of the Third Branch of government. We take pride in serving the Judicial Branch and supporting its mission to provide equal justice under law.
After a review of your complete application is made, you will be notified of your rating and referral to the hiring official if determined qualified. If further evaluation or interviews are required, you will be contacted.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/526146000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.