The Area of Consideration for this vacancy announcement is Worldwide.Learn more about this agency
This position is located at Stars and Stripes Pacific, Yokota, Japan.
- Posts content onto web pages and sections in an electronic publishing system, to include all elements (stories, photos, videos, graphics).
- Ensures that all text is free of spelling, grammar, and substantive errors, and that headlines and cutlines accurately state what is supported by the content of the story or photo.
- When necessary, and within the boundaries of the content management system, designs story or section pages in a graphically attractive manner in keeping with website's layout and design techniques and Stars and Stripes style guides.
- Ensures that material is clearly presented and appropriate for the level of audience, and that conclusions are valid and supported.
- Produces web pages in a timely manner to ensure website is constantly updated with the latest new, breaking news, updates and changes.
- Reviews and selects stories, graphics and photos that are staff-produced or from any of the various wire serves, syndicates, freelance correspondents or acquired from other publications.
- Ensures that photos meet the highest standards of qualify possible, through efficient selection, cropping and enhancement, and that selected photos are appropriate for the story and are free of or meet stated use restrictions.
- Copy edits articles and writes headlines and cutlines applying rules contained in the Associated Press (AP) and Stars and Stripes style guides.
- Ensures compliance with copyright, Privacy Act, and all other applicable laws, regulations, and policies.
- Adds carefully-selected, accurate, well-written posts to Stripes' social media accounts, and follows social media to keep up with the news.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Direct Deposit and Social Security Card is required
- Meet qualification/eligibility/background requirements for this position
- A one year probationary period may be required
- Completed and signed DA Form 3433 is required prior to entrance on duty
Qualifications1. Three years of specialized work experience with a commercial news organization directly related to the duties described above.
2. Demonstrated work experience must include 1 year equivalent in complexity and difficulty to the next lower pay band level.
Preferred: 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree and related work experience as described above, OR specialized education or training in web-based, multimedia journalism. Specialized skills related to web design, development and enhancement, such as video or audio editing and HTML coding.
Manual Application: If you are unable to apply online, you may submit your application package using a manual application method. Please contact the NAF Human Resources Office or representative listed on this job announcement to request a copy of the manual application form. All completed manual application forms (along with resume and other supporting documentation) must be received no later than 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement in order to process your application in a timely manner. Please note that neglecting to respond to the job related questions may result in an ineligible rating.
- Additional selections may be made from this vacancy announcement for up to 90 days after the closing date.
- Payment Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is in the Government's interest.
- Employment Overseas provides a lot of additional benefits & entitlements, for information click here
- Applicants must comply with the Exceptional Family Member Program, for information click here
- Please check out our Applicant Information Kit to view additional information you may find useful when applying for our jobs. (Click here to view kit or copy this URL: http://cpol.army.mil/employ/NAF/NAF_Applicant_Information_Kit.pdf
How You Will Be Evaluated
Applicants can claim the following eligibilities:
- NAF Priority Consideration - Business Based Action
- NAF Priority Consideration - Current Appropriated Funds Employee CNE (APF)
- NAF Priority Consideration - Current/Former NAF Employee (CNE/FNE)
- NAF Priority Consideration - Outside Applicant Veteran (OAV)
- NAF Priority Consideration - Spouse/Widow/Parent of Veteran (OAV)
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
The following documents must be submitted with your application:
Optional: Job Application (DA Form 3433) will be accepted in place of a Resume.
The below items are accepted and may be needed to support a qualification and/or a claimed priority/preference:
- Cover Letter
- PCS order, DA3434 or equivalent
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
You may submit your application package using one of the two methods identified below:
- Electronically (preferred) at https://www.usajobs.gov/ and search for Vacancy Identification Number (VIN)
- Manually: Please refer to the "Additional Information" section of this announcement for instructions.
Agency contact information
AddressFC-NAF-STSTPC STARS STRIPES PACIFIC
DO NOT MAIL
APO, AP 96343
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Defense Media Activity, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Your resume will be reviewed to verify that qualification requirements have been met. We appreciate your interest in this position!
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/522609600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.