Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below for IMPORTANT additional information.Learn more about this agency
The primary purpose of this position is to perform health physics work in support of radiation safety function and host tenant support agreements; to ensure that projects proposed by the base and tenant organizations meet all federal, state and local, DoD and Air Force environmental laws and regulations specifically in regards to radioactive materials.
- Plans, coordinates and manages all aspects of assigned programs through application of professional knowledge and skill in environmental physical science, environmental engineering or health physics practices, procesess, and techniques.
- Responsible for executing assigned program element(s) in house and by contract (if applicable), to comply with all applicable Federal, state, and local environmental laws and policies.
- Provides advisory services on specific problems, projects, programs, and functions in assigned program area.
- Complies with health, safety, and environmental rules and procedures and performs work that enhances the safety and security of the work environment.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Please read this Public Notice in its entirety prior to submitting your application for consideration.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Males must be registered for Selective Service, see www.sss.gov
- Total salary varies depending on location of position
- PCS expenses if authorized will be paid IAW JTR and Air Force Regulations
- Recruitment incentives may be authorized
- Position may be subject to random drug testing
- Employee may be required to work other than normal duty hours, to include evenings, weekends and/or holidays
- Shift work and emergency overtime may be required
- Employee must maintain current certifications
- A security clearance may be required
- Disclosure of Political Appointments
- Work may require travel away from the normal duty station on military and commercial aircraft.
- The work may require the employee to drive a motor vehicle. An appropriate, valid driver's license is required.
- Will be required to participate in training and obtain job-related certifications such as DOT, HAZWOPER, HAZWASTE, and/or RPM.
- May be required to serve as a member of the Emergency Response Force during exercises or in the event of an actual emergency. Work may involve carrying equipment (up to 45 pounds) and exposure to hazards.
- This position is subject to provisions of the DoD Priority Placement Program.
- This position meets the professional exemption criteria for the Fair Labor Standards Act (5 CFR 551.207).
- My be required to serve a probationary period
- Per National Defense Authorization ACT (NDAA) of (FY) 2017, Section 111 modifies 5 United States Code (U.S.C.) 3326; Veterans who are retiring within 180 days of appointment effective date may require a 180 Day waiver package
Degree: natural science or engineering that included at least 30 semester hours in health physics, engineering, radiological science, chemistry, physics, biology, mathematics, and/or calculus.
Combination of education and experience -- courses as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or other education; or certification as a health physicist by the American Board of Health Physics, plus appropriate experience and other education that provided an understanding of sciences applicable to health physics comparable to that described in paragraph A.
GS-11 On year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 Level. Examples involve Projects within the element involved conventional and unconventional aspects of environmental programs, and situations encountered generally fall within state-of-the-art, but often involve a combination of varied and complex features requiring the resolution of problems and to modify or extend standard techniques. OR a PhD or equivalent doctoral degree, OR 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.B. J.B., if related, OR a combination of education and experience.
GS-12 One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 Level. Examples involve professional knowledge and abilities applicable to a wide range of environmental physical science, environmental engineering, or health physics duties (i.e. The National Environmental Policy Act, Natural Resources regulations, the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, the Toxic Substances and Control Act, and the Clean Air Act). OR a PhD or equivalent doctoral degree, OR 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.B., J.B., if related, OR combination of education and experience.
GS-13 One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS 12 Level. Examples involve knowledge and skill to provdie staff advisory, planning and reviewing services and make recomendations on specific environmental management programs within assigned project/program areas. OR a PhD or equivalent doctoral degree, OR 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.B., J.B., if related, OR combination of education and experience.
GS-14 One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS 13 Level. Examples involve knowledge and skill to conduct surveys and studies recommending the construction of new facilities or the modification of existing facilities based on consideration of economy and engineering feasibility. Specialized knowledge and skill to make pollution surveys requiring special field and laboratory studies. OR a PhD or equivalent doctoral degree, OR 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.B., J.B., or related, OR combination of education and experience.
GS-15 On year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS 14 Level. Examples involve ability to plan, develop, coordinate, and monitor environmental facilities or projects so as to assure compliance with applicable objective, standard, and requirements. OR a PhD or equivalent doctoral degree, OR 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.B., J.B., or related, OR combination of education and experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1. Knowledge of health physics principles, practices, techniques, and procedures to effectively perform project development, execution, training, and advisory services.
2. Knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and local laws, regulations, and other guidance to make decisions and recommendations concerning assigned and/or integration principles and practices; and health, safety, and security practices.
3. Skill to integrate in an interdisciplinary team of professionals to include public health specialist, physical scientists, biological scientist, environmental engineers, regulators, and other governmental officials, and community groups.
4. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, clearly, concisely, and with technical accuracy. Communicate with a technical and lay community which may be either supportive or antagonistic.
5. Knowledge and skill required to resolve environmental problems that require the investigation of radiation contamination or other questionable conditions.
6. Ability to assist in identifying problems and provide necessary technical support to resolves issues. Must be capable of assisting with economic analysis to determine the feasibility of acquisitions and determine the most economical means of satisfying organizational regulatory requirements.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
IF USING EDUCATION TO QUALIFY: You MUST provide transcripts to support your educational claims. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
For Direct Hire (DHA) Positions:
These positions are to filled under the OPM Government-Wide Direct Hire Authority Certain STEM Positions for grades GS 11-15. Under this recruitment procedure applications will be accepted for each location/installation identified in this Public Notice and selections are made for vacancies as they occur. There may or may not be actual/projected vacancies at the time you submit your application. Positions are located Air Force-Wide and may be filled as permanent, term, or temporary with a full-time or part-time work schedule. Pay will vary by geographic location
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible click here. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated in the "Highly Qualified" or "Best Qualified" Category on the rating criteria for this vacancy. You must submit a copy of the agency notice, your most recent performance rating, and your most recent SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
Temporary and Term Appointments: If you are selected for a temporary or term position in the competitive service, your appointment may be extended to the maximum period allowed by law without further competition. Additionally, if you are serving on a term appointment in the competitive service, you may be converted to a career or career-conditional appointment without further competition. NOTE: Current federal civilian employees may apply for this position and if selected, a break in service of at least 3 days may be required prior to appointment to this position.
Selective Service: Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. For additional information, click here.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
Tax Law Impact for PCS: On 22-Dec-2017, Public Law 115-97 - the "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 suspended qualified moving expense deductions along with the exclusion for employer reimbursements and payments of moving expenses effective 01-Jan-2018 for tax years 2018 through 2025. The law made taxable certain reimbursements and other payments, including driving mileage, airfare and lodging expenses, en-route travel to the new duty station, and temporary storage of those items. The Federal Travel Regulation Bulletin (FTR) 18-05 issued by General Services Administration (GSA) has authorized agencies to use the Withholding Tax Allowance (WTA) and Relocation Income Tax Allowance (RITA) to pay for "substantially all" of the increased tax liability resulting from the "2018 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act" for certain eligible individuals. For additional information on WTA/RITA allowances and eligibilities, please visit: https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/FTR%20Bulletin%2018_05%20Relocation%20Allowances_0.pdf
How You Will Be Evaluated
Your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Your responses to the questionnaire may be compared to the documents you submit. The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "insufficient information" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application for this Public Notice:
- Online Application - Questionnaire
- Resume - must include beginning and ending month and year for each employment period
- Transcripts - if you are basing your qualifications on education or if the position requires education, you must submit copies of your transcripts
- Registration/License - active, current registration/license if applicable for the position
- Veterans' Preference - If you are claiming veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD Form 214, which must include character of service or a Statement of Service/Proof of Service which must include service dates and character of service. In addition, if claiming 10-point preference you must submit a VA Letter or a disability determination from a branch of the Armed Forces (or documentation of Purple Heart, if applicable) and a SF 15 (Application for 10-point veteran preference).
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 12/31/2019.
To preview the Application Questionnaire, please click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10374389
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the application questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Application button at the end of the process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Resume (your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications). If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent (latest) version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent."
- It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and dates of employment (i.e., hours per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position.
3. Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section). Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name.
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application.
PLEASE NOTE: It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered and/or uploaded, (i.e., resume) is received, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. You may verify your documents have been processed with your application package successfully. You can access your USAJOBS account to do so by clicking here. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
Human Resources WILL NOT modify or change any answers submitted by an applicant.
Agency contact information
Total Force Service Center
550 C Street W
JBSA Randolph AFB, TX 78150
The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win...in air, space and cyberspace. To achieve that mission, the Air Force has a vision of Global Vigilance, Reach and Power. That vision orbits around three core competencies: Developing Airmen, Technology-to-Warfighting and Integrating Operations. Core competencies and distinctive capabilities are based on a shared commitment to three core values -- integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do.
This Public Notice is to gather applications which may or may not result in a referral or selection.
This Public Notice may be used to fill positions in other equivalent pay systems (i.e., NH, NJ, NK).
See "Additional Information" in this announcement for further information regarding DHA Positions.
After you submit your application, you will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required.
Your application will remain active through the open period of this Public Notice. Once this Public Notice closes, you must reapply.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/518809500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.