The Medical Technologist at this level develops, performs, evaluates, interprets, correlates, and validates the accuracy of laboratory procedures and results. This work is performed in a variety of laboratory disciplines, such as bacteriology, chemistry (endocrinology/toxicology), molecular biology, coagulation, flow cytometry, genetics hematology, immunology, immunohematology (blood banking), mycology, parasitology, serology, urinalysis, and virology. In addition, other duties are listed below:Learn more about this agency
- Performs a broad range of laboratory procedures including all testing and tasks of the medical laboratory technology occupation.
- Performs complex laboratory procedures
- Recognizes deviation from expected results
- Analyzes and corrects problems using scientific principles with immediate or general supervision.
- Evaluates and solves problems related to collection and processing of biological specimens for analysis taking into account physiologic processes and requirements with immediate or general supervision.
- Maintains and documents the optimal functioning of laboratory equipment.
- Uses, calibrates, identifies malfunctions, repairs, and performs preventive maintenance of laboratory equipment.
- Diagnoses deviations in test performance due to instrument malfunction with immediate or general supervision.
- Performs and documents quality control and assurance activities and corrective actions related to test performance using statistical principles and theories of performance improvement with immediate or general supervision.
- Adheres to practices and regulations governing biosafety and biosecurity in the workplace with immediate or general supervision.
- Identifies discrepancies, solves problems, and presents solutions with immediate or general supervision.
- Answers inquiries regarding test results, methodology, test specificity, test sensitivity, and specific factors, which influence test results with immediate or general supervision.in collaboration with senior technologists interprets results and suggests follow-up test selection or procedures
- Assists with evaluating and implementing new techniques and procedures in the laboratory in terms of equipment, method comparison, and establishment of reference intervals using statistical methods and theoretical knowledge.Interprets findings and makes recommendations.
- Assists in the instruction and training of new employees and students and in the laboratory's in-service/continuing education program.
- Communicates effectively and courteously while working as a healthcare team member.Provides excellent service as defined by the customer (healthcare providers, patients, and others).Gives direction and guidance, using underlying principles of laboratory testing.
- Organizes work and sets priorities to meet deadlines with minimal assistance.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Work Schedule: Every other weekend from 7 am to 3:30 pm including morning phlebotomy.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Designated drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Certification as a MT, MLS, or CLS given by the ASCP-BOC, ASCP-BOR, or AMT required.
- SF-50 required.
- United States Citizenship: Citizens of the United States. Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Education and/or Experience Combination. A bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college or university in medical laboratory science, medical technology, clinical laboratory science or in related science (e.g., laboratory sciences such as chemistry, biochemistry, biology, microbiology, immunology, etc.).
Completion of a medical technology clinical practice program. Note: Completion of this program after 1974 must have been accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS), Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHGEP, formerly CAHEA), or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES). The professional curriculum may have consisted of a post-baccalaureate certificate program or be integrated into a four-year program of study that culminated in a baccalaureate degree.
A bachelor's degree, including 16 semester hours of biological science (with one course in microbiology), 16 semester hours of chemistry (with one course in organic or biochemistry) and one course in mathematics,
Two (2) years of post-certification clinical laboratory experience (e.g., blood banking, chemistry, hematology, microbiology, immunology, clinical microscopy, etc.) within the last ten (10) years as a certified Medical Laboratory Technician by the American Society for Clinical Pathology Board of Certification (ASCP-BOC), American Society of Clinical Pathology Board of Registry (ASCP-BOR) or American Medical Technologist (AMT). This experience must include performing moderate and/or high complexity testing in blood banking, chemistry, hematology, microbiology immunology and clinical microscopy (or categorical experience which matches categorical certification) in a clinical laboratory.
Five (5) years of clinical laboratory experience within the last ten (10) years performing moderate and/or high complexity testing in blood banking, chemistry, hematology, microbiology, immunology and clinical microscopy (or categorical experience which matches categorical certification) in a clinical laboratory.
At the GS-07 level. All candidates will be evaluated based on the basic education/experience highlighted above.
At the GS-09 level. All candidates must have 1 year of creditable experience equivalent to the next lower grade level, which is directly related to the position to be filled. In addition, the candidate must demonstrate the following:
- Comprehensive knowledge of professional MT principles, practices, concepts and theories providing for sound independent work, laboratory quality control and assurance procedures and principles of performance improvement in order to manage reagent and supply inventories and document control systems.
- Knowledge of laboratory equipment and ability to maintain, troubleshoot and repair instrumentation.
- Ability to plan, organize, set priorities, work as a team member and effectively complete assignments.
- Ability to use independent technical judgment to analyze and interpret laboratory results.
- Ability to read, interpret and apply complex written instructions.
- Skilled in informatics, laboratory data flow and the understanding of laboratory processes.
- Ability to communicate, consult and interact with other members of the healthcare team, external relations, customer service and patient education.
References: VA Handbook 5005/72, Part II, Appendix G24.
The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-09. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is in the range of GS-07 to GS-09.
Physical Requirements: Applicants must be physically and mentally able to perform the duties of the position. This position requires light carrying, walking, standing, kneeling, and working around machinery. Selected applicants must successfully pass a pre-employment physical examination and drug screening prior to being appointed.
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
NOTE: The Professional Standards Board (a peer-review group) will review the selected candidate's education and experience and recommend the grade and salary at which the candidate will be placed. For internal selectees eligible for promotion, the board will determine grade and HR will determine step in accordance with policy.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
(required at time of application) VA Form 10-2850c Application for Associated Health Occupations can be found at: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=2850&tkey=&Action=Search.
(required at time of application) Of-306-Declaration for Federal Employment can be found at: https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf.
(required at time of application) SF-50- Notification of Personnel Action.
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, documentation to support Veterans Preference or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees).
- Cover Letter
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), 10pt (CP/CPS/XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP) in the questionnaire. You must provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) which shows dates and character of service (honorable, general, etc.). If you are currently serving on active duty and expect to be released or discharged within 120 days you must submit documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), and dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veteran Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. Documentation is required to award preference. For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
All applicants are encouraged to apply online. To apply for this position, you must complete the full questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 10/25/2019 to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USA JOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
- Click Submit My Answers to submit your application package.
NOTE: It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
To verify your application is complete, log into your USA JOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process. To return to an incomplete application, log into your USA JOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USA JOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Agency contact information
AddressSyracuse VA Medical Center
800 Irving Ave
Syracuse, NY 13210
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise - "To care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
THIS IS AN OPEN CONTINUOUS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT. OF THE CLOSING DATE ARRIVES BEFORE THE VACANCIES ARE FILLED, THEN THE CLOSING DATE WILL BE EXTENDED. THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT WILL NOT OFFICIALLY CLOSE UNTIL ALL VACANCIES HAVE BEEN FILLED.
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USA Jobs account and clicking on Applications. Information regarding your application status can be found in the USAJobs Help Center.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/516043500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.