The primary purpose of this position is to function as the lead in the development and measurement of occupational competencies, research and other associated projects within the CDC workforce.Learn more about this agency
As a Personnel Research Psychologist you will:
- Formulate, define and conduct research of considerable size and complexity addressing opportunities to enhance workforce performance
- Make recommendations based on study outcomes
- Develop skills-based competencies and associated assessment tools to identify competency gaps, training needs, and improvement to CDCs education programs
- Establish and maintain professional contacts with leading experts, professors, instructors, and others in education and training institutions of higher learning
- Participate and/or lead cross-cutting inter-and intra-agency projects
- Manage one or more career development and/or educational programs within the Human Resources Office
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position 5% Domestically
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- US Citizenship is required.
- Background Investigation is required.
- E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
- Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- One-year probationary period may be required.
- Travel, transportation, and moving expenses will be paid: No
- Bargaining Unit Position: No
- Drug Screening Required: No
- Recruitment Incentive may be authorized: No
- Annual Leave for non-federal service may be authorized: No
- Research position: No
- Promotion potential: Yes: This position has promotion potential to GS-13. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your meeting qualifications and time-in-grade requirements, demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and administrative approval. Promotion to the next grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
- Supervisory position: No
- Time in grade (TIG) must be met within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement.
- Current or Former Political Appointees: Agencies must seek prior approval from the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) before they can appoint a current or recent political appointee to a competitive or non-political excepted service position at any level under the provisions of title 5, United States Code. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C, or Non-career SES employee in the executive branch, you MUST disclose that to the Human Resources Office. Failure to disclose this information could result in disciplinary action including removal from Federal Service. Current or Former Political Appointees: Submit SF-50.
- All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
Applicants must have a Degree: major or equivalent in psychology
Applicants must have at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-09 in the Federal service as defined in the next paragraph.
Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position to include...
A. Experience in applying industrial/organizational psychology theory to workforce assessment and development, applying adult learning principles to identifying education and training needs, and evaluating the effectiveness of educational programs or other workforce development interventions; OR
B. Have 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree; OR
C. Have a combination of graduate level education and experience that meets 100% of the qualification requirements for this position
Applicants must have at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-11 in the Federal service as defined in the next paragraph.
Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position to include experience applying industrial/organizational psychology theory to workforce competency modeling, conducting skill gap and needs assessment, applying adult learning principles to identifying education and training needs, and evaluating the effectiveness of educational programs or other workforce development interventions.
NOTE: Since this position does have a positive education requirement, applicants must submit a copy of transcript(s) with the application package in order to be considered further.
Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the education requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit:
This position will not be filled and no job offers will be made until resolution of the HHS hiring freeze, or the position qualifies for a hiring exemption and is approved pursuant to HHS guidance.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement HHS-CDC-D1-19-10345489 under competitive procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under competitive procedures.
NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
PHS Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps (not as a career/career-conditional employee) are encouraged to apply under the merit promotion announcement indicated above.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical location CDC-wide.
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form. For more information on veterans' preference see http://www.usajobs.gov/Veterans
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see).
For information on "People with Disabilities" please visit http://opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
To view the questionnaire, click on the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10345490
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document(s), view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Once the application process is complete, a review of resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Ability to apply current industrial/organizational psychology theory, research and methods to competency/skill gap assessment.
- Ability to apply industrial/organizational psychology principles and practices to competency modeling.
- Ability to facilitate and manage focus groups and meetings; deliver professional presentations.
- Ability to manage multiple projects.
- Knowledge of workforce and career development practices and tools.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
- Your résumé showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment and duties performed.
- Other supporting documents:Veterans Preference Documentation, if applicable
- SF-50 (if you are a federal employee or have reinstatement rights as a federal employee)
- Schedule A Eligibility Letter if you are applying as a Schedule A candidate.
Failure to submit any of the above mentioned required documents may result in loss of consideration due to an incomplete application package. It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents have been submitted.
For Résumé and Application Tips visit: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Tips.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 11/15/2018 of this announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your résumé and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
If you cannot apply online:
You are encouraged to apply online. If you are unable to apply online, please use the Alternate Application link listed in the Additional Information section of this vacancy announcement. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply online if at all possible. Applying online, through your USAJOBS account, will expedite the application process and allow you to check your application. If you utilize the Alternate Application method, your USAJOBS account will not display this application and you will not receive status updates.
Agency contact information
AddressCDC OD, Office of the Chief Operating Officer OCOO
1600 Clifton Road, N.E.
Atlanta, GA 30333
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is the agency Americans trust with their lives. As a global leader in public health, CDC is the nation's premier health promotion, prevention, and preparedness agency. Whether we are protecting the American people from public health threats, researching emerging diseases, or mobilizing public health programs with our domestic and international partners, we rely on our employees to make a real difference in the health and well-being of people here and around the world.
This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Office of the Chief Operating Officer (OCOO), Human Resources Office (HRO), CDC University (CDCU), Atlanta, Georgia.
CDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. We expect to make a selection within 45 days of the closing date of this announcement.
You will receive notice via email once this process is completed (generally 4-6 weeks).
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/515400400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.