This National Guard position is for an IT SPEC (CUSTSPT) (Title 32), Position Description Number D2182P01 and is part of the AR ANG 188 CMN FT, National Guard.
Learn more about this agency
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
1. Manages the assigned IT/communications environment with privileged access at the network level for the Wing, Geographically Separated Units (GSU), and Tenants. Plans, coordinates, installs, and continuously analyzes system design, hardware and software.
2. Serves as a focal point for ensuring functionality and operability of the assigned IT/data systems/functions, voice and wireless systems to support mission requirements of Wing, Geographically Separated Units (GSU), and Tenants.
3. Provides customer technical assistance and support for all users. Provides ongoing technical support to customers to ensure proper functional use of equipment and programs and to preclude undue interruptions to IT and communications services.
4. Determines customer requirements and assists customers by recognizing and analyzing trends and providing instruction and orientation services. Identifies and documents system requirements for specific needs of customers.
5. Conducts feasibility studies to identify and analyze system failures and analyzes data to determine if trends exist which forecast the need for future replacement or modification of system hardware and software. Based upon the results of studies and the analyses of trends in usage and system problems, determines the feasibility of significant modifications vs. replacement to improve reliability.
6. Coordinates frequency needs with command level spectrum management office to maintain current allocations and obtain new authorizations. Secures operating authority, and ensures minimal interference by ANG radio frequency (RF) operations.
7. Installs, maintains, and repairs hardware devices supporting a broad range of information and communications systems. Uses detailed knowledge of concepts, principles, methods, and practices with sophisticated diagnostic equipment and complex diagnostic software to identify and resolve internal system and network conflicts.
8. Adheres to management control plan requirements by conducting self inspection and staff assistance visits. Resolves identified discrepancies.
9. Performs other duties as assigned.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Must meet DoDI 8570.01M Certification Requirements within 6 months of hire.
Compatible military grade and assignment required prior to the effective date of placement. This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state's National Guard. Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact a National Guard recruiter prior to applying for this position.
Military Grades: SrA/E-4 NTE MSgt/E-7
Compatible Military Assignments: Selectee must be a member of the Arkansas Air National Guard and be assigned to the 188th WG in a compatible military position in Air Force Specialty Code (AFSC)3D0X1, 3D0X2, 3D0X3, 3D1X1, 3D1X2, 3D1X3, 3D1X4
Must become compatible in the AFSC within 12 months of appointment. Must possess or be able to obtain a Secret Security Clearance. Technicians will not be militarily senior to their full-time supervisor or wage leader (Grade Inversion). Enlisted members currently at a higher grade than allowed by the position (see Military Grade Requirement above) may apply; however, they must administratively reduce prior to appointment and provide confirmation of the reduction to HRO.
Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
DO NOT COPY THE SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS WORD FOR WORD AND PLACE INTO YOUR RESUME; YOU MUST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONAL EXPERIENCE AS IT PERTAINS TO EACH STATEMENT.
Experience, education or training that has provided a basic knowledge of data processing functions and general management principles that enabled the applicant to understand the stages required to automate a work process. Experience may have been gained in work such as computer operator or assistant, computer sales representative, program analyst, or other positions that required the use or adaptation of computer programs and systems.
Must have at least 36 months experience, education, or training that approaches techniques and requirements appropriate to an assigned computer applications area or computer specialty area in an organization. Experience planning the sequence of actions necessary to accomplish the assignment where this entailed coordination with others outside the organizational unit and development of project controls. Experience that required adaptations of guidelines or precedents to meet the needs of the assignment. Experience preparing documentation on cost/benefit studies where is involved summarizing the material and organizing it in a logical fashion.
Applicants should demonstrate through prior experience the following: (1) Knowledge of applying analysis concepts to IT network systems and independent IT platforms, integration methods, performance tuning methods, test and evaluation methods and procedures, IT security principles and methods plus, project management principles and methods sufficient to plan and coordinate the installation of new products or equipment. (2) Ability to analyze, apply methods and practices for recovering, adjusting and modifying IT systems to solve complex problems, while improving customer support practices, that minimizes interruptions in service. (3) Knowledge of network operations, security methods, and network architecture optimization techniques (4) Knowledge of systems development, modification, testing, installation, operations, and support concepts as well as the organization's network and infrastructure architecture and protocols. (5) Knowledge of the interrelationship of multiple IT systems, utilizing methods, principles, and practices covering restoral from complex computer and infrastructure system failures, recovery of systems, adjusting, modifying, and improving systems to include hardware and software components. (6) Completion of appropriate technical school/CDC course. (7) Knowledge of wireless radio equipment maintenance.
INFORMATION ASSURANCE CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Reference: DoD 8570.01-M, Information Assurance (IA) Workforce Improvement Program, Para C3.2.3. IA Technical (IAT) Category Training Requirements
Within 6 months of assignment of IA duties all military and government civilian IAT personnel must achieve IA Baseline Certification unless a waiver is granted
-Individual needs to complete Security+ CE for IAT Level II to meet the minimum requirement. (Para: AP3.2.4.) -Include a copy of certification if already completed with application.
-New hires' qualification periods begin the date they start in the position (i.e., they must obtain the appropriate certification within 6 months of being assigned IA functions).
-Personnel in technical category positions must be issued and retain an appointing letter to their IA duties including a statement of responsibilities for the system. A completed copy will be maintained in the individual's personnel record.
-Personnel in technical category positions must maintain certifications, as required by the certifying provider, to retain privileged system access.
-Personnel who are not appropriately qualified within 6 months of assignment to a position or who fail to maintain their certification status shall not be permitted privileged access and may lose their position of assignment if employee fails to attain or return to certified status.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates (format should include Month and Year) of employment and duties performed.
2. Current AF Form 422 (Physical Profile Serial Report) dated within 18 months or Current Individual Medical Readiness (IMR) dated within 6 months: (Go to https://imr.afms.mil/imr/MyIMR.aspx. Click on the printer icon, select the Adobe PDF printer and click print. Save the document and submit it with your application. The date will populate on the bottom of the page when you print to PDF.)
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Agency contact information
AR HRO Customer Services
AddressAR ANG 188 CMN FT
Bldg 7300-Camp Robinson
North Little Rock, AR 72199-9600
The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have a proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, your states and your community!
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment. Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Air National Guard Units, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
Checking the status of your application:
To better serve our members, the Technician Recruitment and Placement (R&P) section at AR HRO has implemented a new process for checking the status of an application. Applicants must send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email request, please provide us with the Announcement Number of the position you applied for.
This change requires some forethought on the part of the applicant. With this new process in place, applicants can expect to have a response from the AR HRO R&P section within 2 duty days. That being said, applicants checking their application status the day before a job closes stand the chance of not receiving a review.
Our goal is not to refrain from hearing from our customers, but rather to make the process more efficient for us all. Our members are our number one priority and we want to deliver high quality customer service.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/513518600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.