Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below for IMPORTANT additional information.Learn more about this agency
The primary purpose of this position, Aircraft Ordnance Systems Mechanic (DUTY TITLE: BOMBERS B1,B-2, B-52 MUNITIONS MECHANIC), WG-6652-11, is to functionally test, inspect, troubleshoot, and repair a variety of specially instrumented, test, preproduction, standard and modified high performance, test modified, bomber munitions and aircraft systems, subsystems, and components.
- Ensure serviceability, proper installation, and operation, using appropriate test equipment, special tools, technical data, diagrams, blueprints, etc.
- Perform required periodic, phased, minor, major, and special inspections to the assigned Aircraft and Stores Management System (SMS) avionics and assigned Alternate mission Equipment (AME).
- Perform required functional checks and modifications, scheduled and unscheduled maintenance to the assigned Aircraft and Stores Management System (SMS) avionics and assigned Alternate mission Equipment (AME).
- Upload and download the complete Air Force inventory of B-1, B-2, and B-52 munitions, including items in development or undergoing system upgrades/redesign.
- Maintain aircraft munitions and maintenance records, including all standard records and records of modifications performed on assigned aircraft and equipment, following established procedures, technical data and directives.
- Perform ground handling and servicing of assigned aircraft, including the preflight, post flight, launch, recovery, refueling, towing, washing, lubricating, jacking, etc.
- Debrief air crews after flight to analyze comments concerning deficiencies in performance of SMS and installed air munitions as required.
Occasional travel - May be required to travel on temporary duty (TDY) by government of commercial aircraft, bus, rail, or automobile.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Must be registered for Selective Service. See Legal and Regulatory Guide
- Recruitment/Relocation incentives may be authorized at the selection officials discretion from $0 - $7,500.
- This posn is subject to provisions of the DoD Priority Placement Program
- Disclosure of Political Appointments
- Category rating and selection procedures will be utilized
- Veterans must submit required documents to receive Veteran's preference
- Position to be filled through Delegated Examining Authority
- SECURITY CLEARANCE: INCUMBENT MUST BE ABLE TO OBTAIN AND MAINTAIN A SECRET LEVEL SECURITY CLEARANCE AS A CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT.
- DRUG TESTING: THIS POSITION HAS BEEN DESIGNATED FOR DRUG TESTING. IF YOU ARE SELECTED FOR THIS POSITION YOU MAY BE SUBJECT TO URINALYSIS TESTING PRIOR TO APPOINTMENT AND YOU WILL BE SUBJECT TO RANDOM URINALYSIS TESTING AS A CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT.
- May be required to work on day or night shift.
- Subject to unscheduled recall, and to work uncommon tour of duty, overtime or nights, weekends, holidays, etc.
- A flight-line driver's license is required.
- May be required to fill in for absent supervisor.
- May be assigned other duties deemed necessary within the Logistics Test Unit to support its mission.
QualificationsQUALIFICATION: Applicants will be rated in accordance with the OPM Qualification Standard Handbook X-118C for the WG-6600 Armament Work Family. Although a specific length of time and experience is not required for most blue-collar positions, you must meet any screen-out element listed, and show through experience and training that you possess the quality level of knowledge and skill necessary to perform the duties of the position at the level for which you are applying. Qualification requirements emphasis is on the quality of experience, not necessarily the length of time.
ONLY EXPERIENCE OBTAINED BY THE CLOSING DATE OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT WILL BE CONSIDERED.
The screen out element for this position is ABILITY TO DO THE WORK OF THE POSITION WITHOUT MORE THAN NORMAL SUPERVISION
JOB ELEMENTS: Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1.KNOWLEDGE OF EQUIPMENT ASSEMBLY, INSTALLATION, REPAIR ETC.
2. TECHNICAL PRACTICES (THEORETICAL, PRECISE, ARTISTIC)
3. USE OF MEASURING INSTRUMENTS
4. ABILITY TO INTERPRET INSTRUCTIONS, SPECIFICATIONS, ETC. (INCLUDES BLUEPRINT READING)
5. ABILITY TO USE AND MAINTAIN TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
6. TROUBLE SHOOTING
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
PHYSICAL EFFORT: The mechanic makes repairs from work stands, and where parts worked on are in hard to reach places. This requires climbing, standing, stooping, bending, stretching and working in tiring and uncomfortable positions. The aircraft mechanic frequently lifts parts and equipment that weigh up to 20lbs., and occasionally lifts and carries items that weigh up to 50lbs. Good distant vision and the ability to read printed material without strain, glasses are permitted and normal color vision. Incumbent must have the ability to hear normal conversational voice, with or without a hearing aid. Incumbents must possess emotional and mental stability.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Subject to the hazards of : Desert weather conditions, high noise levels of operational jet engines, operation machinery and vehicles, falls and falling objects, toxic and corrosive chemicals, etc., inside and outside. Exposed to drafts, noise and fumes. Possible dermatitis from such fluids as oils or hydraulic fluids. Possibility of cuts, burns, shocks, and stains. Desert weather conditions, high noise levels of operation jet engines, operation machinery and vehicles, falls and falling objects, toxic and corrosive chemicals, etc.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
THIS VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT HAS BEEN AMENDED TO CLOSE ON 20 NOV 2018.
REQUIRED RESUME: For each block of detailed work experience you must include month/year (starting/ending dates), salary, hours per week, job title, supervisors' name/phone number (may we contact statement).
A list of eligible candidates is being established and may be used to fill multiple vacancies for a period of 12 months (or more). Types of appointments may include: Full time permanent positions; OR full time term positions Not-to-Exceed 13 months, with extension possible; OR full time temporary positions not to exceed 1 year, with a 2 year extension possible.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible click here. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated in the "Highly Qualified" or "Best Qualified" Category on the rating criteria for this vacancy. You must submit a copy of the agency notice, your most recent performance rating, and your most recent SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
Temporary and Term Appointments: If you are selected for a temporary or term position in the competitive service, your appointment may be extended to the maximum period allowed by law without further competition. Additionally, if you are serving on a term appointment in the competitive service, you may be converted to a career or career-conditional appointment without further competition. NOTE: Current federal civilian employees may apply for this position and if selected, a break in service of at least 3 days may be required prior to appointment to this position.
Selective Service: Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. For additional information, click here.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
Incentives: Recruitment and/or retention incentives may or may not be used.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Your responses to the questionnaire may be compared to the documents you submit. The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "insufficient information" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
BASIS OF RATING:
Your application will be rated under the Category Rating procedures based on the extent to which the quality, depth, and complexity of your experience and education relate to the qualifications requirement. Additional points are not added for Veteran's Preference; however, Veteran Preference is still applied.
Category 3, Best Qualified: Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements.
Category 2, Highly Qualified: Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements.
Category 1, Qualified: Candidates in this category meet the minimum education and/or experience requirements.
Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements. To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire. The numeric rating you received is based on your responses to the questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the knowledge, skills and abilities required of this position. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application for this Public Notice:
- Online Application - Questionnaire
- Resume - must include beginning and ending month and year for each employment period
- Registration/License - active, current registration/license if applicable for the position
- Veterans' Preference - If you are claiming veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD Form 214, which must include character of service or a Statement of Service/Proof of Service which must include service dates and character of service. In addition, if claiming 10-point preference you must submit a VA Letter or a disability determination from a branch of the Armed Forces (or documentation of Purple Heart, if applicable) and a SF 15 (Application for 10-point veteran preference).
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 11/20/2018
To preview the Application Questionnaire, please click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10327186
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the application questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Application button at the end of the process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Resume (your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications). If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent (latest) version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent."
- It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and dates of employment (i.e., hours per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position.
3. Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section below). Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name, address, phone number, and last four digits of your social security number.
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application. The Vacancy ID is 10327186
PLEASE NOTE: It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered and/or uploaded, (i.e., resume) is received, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. You may verify your documents have been processed with your application package successfully. You can access your USAJOBS account to do so by clicking here. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
Human Resources WILL NOT modify or change any answers submitted by an applicant.
Agency contact information
Hill AFB DEO Inquiry Line
5 N Seller Avenue
Bldg 3000 Rm 120
Edwards AFB, CA 93524
A BOLD SPIRIT. A PROUD HISTORY. Ad Inexplorata. It means "Toward The Unexplored." This motto defines the very spirit and history of Edwards Air Force Base, CA. It is where Capt. "Chuck" Yeager became the first human to break the sound barrier, where tomorrow's ambitious aviation breakthroughs continue to become reality and where talented civilian professionals experience truly unique careers. Please visit our website.
The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win?in air, space and cyberspace. To achieve that mission, the Air Force has a vision of Global Vigilance, Reach and Power. That vision orbits around three core competencies: Developing Airmen, Technology-to-Warfighting and Integrating Operations. Core competencies and distinctive capabilities are based on a shared commitment to three core values -- integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do.
Applications will be accepted from United States citizens (U.S. citizenship required at time of application).
Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. For additional information, click here.
For information on veteran's preference click here
Military Spouse Preference (MSP): Click here for specific program requirements. To request MSP hiring preference, you must submit the following documents:
- Application or resume;
- Statement requesting MSP; and
- Copy of military sponsor's PCS orders
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Air Force Materiel Command, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email. After a review of your complete application is made you will be notified of your rating and/or referral to the hiring official.
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application.Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility and qualifications for consideration. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
To check the status of your application or return to a previous or incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account, select My Applications, and click on the more information link under the application status for this position.
If you do not provide an email address, you are responsible for checking status updates and notifications in USAJOBS. Hard copy notifications will not be sent to you.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/513191600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.