A successful candidate in this position will serve as a senior cloud solutions technical advisor and is reponsible for formulating and/or influencing the modernization of EIA's IT cloud infrastructure.Learn more about this agency
This position is also being advertised to all U.S. citizens via Delegated Examining procedures. The announcement number is: SE-18-EI-00813-DE.
As an IT Specialist (ENTARCH), you will:
- Coordinate the implementation of EIA's cloud strategy to migrate core IT services to cloud based solutions.
- Serve as the senior expert for advice and guidance related to integrating innovative cloud solutions for EIA's for IT modernization programs.
- Develop new and improved concepts, principles, and techniques that will advance the body of knowledge of cloud computing and apply advance networking methods and techniques to solve complex processing requirements requiring familiarity with and use of cloud based computer and networking architectures, principles of digital communications, physics, and data transmission programs for the performance of end-to-end information dissemination.
- Provide cloud based technological input into the configuration management, IT architecture, infrastructure design, and systems, integration aspects into EIA's IT project plans.
- Participate on agency and interagency program groups involved with issues relating to equipment, and system software policy.
Occasional travel - Occasional Travel
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
- Current and former Federal employees with reinstatement eligibility
- Merit Promotion
- Excepted service employees eligible through an Interchange Agreement
- Veterans Recruitment
- 30% Disabled
- Individuals with disabilities
Questions? This job is open to 5 groups.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- You must be a United States Citizen.
- This employer participates in the e-Verify program.
- Males must abide by Selective Service registration requirements.
- Resume and question responses must be submitted online.
- Subject to satisfactory security and suitability determinations.
If selected for this vacancy, you may be required to file the OGE Form 450 (Financial Disclosure Statement) prior to your appointment to this position. For additional information and to obtain the form, please visit the Office of Government Ethics.
QualificationsGS-5 through GS-15 (or equivalent): For all positions individuals must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below. The employing agency is responsible for identifying the specific level of proficiency required for each competency at each grade level based on the requirements of the position being filled.
- Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
- Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
- Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position is defined as:
Experience performing cloud based solutions and cloud based computing on network architectures; experience developing relative policies for an organization.
Your application and resume should demonstrate that you possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs). Do not provide a separate narrative written statement. Rather, you must describe in your application how your past work experience demonstrates that you possess the KSAs identified below. Cite specific examples of employment or experience contained in your resume and describe how this experience has prepared you to successfully perform the duties of this position. DO NOT write "see resume" in your application!
- Knowledge of information systems security methods and procedures so as to incorporate appropriate security measures into Network services activities and operations
- Knowledge of cloud based concepts, principles, methods, and practices of Information Technology to develop, implement and review information technology policies, standards and procedures, assess the effectiveness of current systems and services, evaluate the feasibility of new systems and services, and provide expert, authoritative advice and guidance on critical issues
- Knowledge of performance management, measurement and monitoring principles, methods, and tools to develop standards and procedures to evaluate and optimize the functionality and performance of systems, networks and data
- Knowledge of the organization's network architecture, topology and protocols to participate in the planning, design, development and integration of network systems that are consistent with existing or planning network infrastructure, and facilitate mission accomplishment
- Knowledge of the methods and systems for maintaining, sharing, protecting and presenting information through the use of information technology so as to develop program, policies and standards
Time-in-Grade: Current Federal employees must meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of this announcement to receive consideration.
CTAP/ICTAP candidates: To be considered "well qualified" you must meet all of the requirements as described in this section.
You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
There is no substitution of education for experience for this grade level.
Education must be obtained from an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Foreign education must be reviewed by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For special instructions pertaining to foreign education and a list of organizations that can evaluate foreign education, see the Department of Education website.
The U.S. Department of Energy fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- New employees to the Department of Energy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
- Veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, please visit the links at the bottom of this page or visit the FedsHireVets website.
- If you believe that you are eligible for the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), please visit the OPM ICTAP/CTAP website for more information. In order to be considered under the ICTAP program, your application must score within the pre-established "well qualified" category as stated in the Qualifications section.
- More than one selection may be made from this vacancy announcement.
- Some positions may require completion of a probationary period of up to 1 (one) year.
- This position is in the bargaining unit.
- Many positions require successful completion of a background investigation.
- All males born after December 31st 1959 must abide by laws regarding Selective Service registration. To learn more about this law, visit the Selective Service web page, Who Must Register. If you are not registered and don't have an approved exemption, you will not be eligible for employment with the Federal government.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Reasonable_Accommodation_Policy_Statement
Veterans Information: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Veterans_Information
Selective Service Registration: http://www.sss.gov/
How You Will Be Evaluated
The Department of Energy uses an application tracking system to evaluate the responses you provide in the applicant assessment questionnaire to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications necessary for this position. Then, the HR Office and/or Subject Matter Expert (SME) will conduct a quality review of your application and supporting documentation to determine if your qualifications meet the criteria for referral to the selecting official.
We will also verify that you are eligible for Merit Promotion positions by reviewing your previous Federal employment to ensure you meet Time-in-Grade requirements. If you are eligible to apply to Merit Promotion announcements based on Veteran or other non-competitive statuses, we will verify your supporting documentation prior to referral.
If you are eligible for career transition assistance plans such as ICTAP or CTAP, you must meet the definition of "well qualified" which is defined as having a score of 85 or better.
If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses you provided in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit all required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted accordingly.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Please carefully review the following list to determine what documentation you need to submit. Some documents may not apply to all applicants.
If you are unsure, click the link for each document type to read more.
ALL APPLICANTS: You must submit a resume supporting your specialized experience and responses to the online questionnaire.
- Your resume should list all work experience (paid and unpaid); you must list the full name and address of the each employer.
- For all types of work experience, you should indicate the start and end dates (include month, day, and year); you must also list the average number of hours per week that you worked.
- For paid work experience, please indicate your starting grade/salary for each position and the highest grade/salary you earned (if different).
- Your resume should also include any education and training you have completed (list the program title, subject area, number of hours completed, and completion date).
- For more information about what to include in your resume, please view this USAJOBS Resume Tutorial video on YouTube.
Current and former Federal employees: Most recent SF-50 (Standard Form 50 - Notice of Personnel Action).
To properly verify status eligibility, your SF-50 must show the following. If you do not submit an appropriate SF-50, we cannot verify your status eligibility!
- Full position title;
- appointment type;
- occupational series;
- pay plan, grade, and step;
- tenure code; and
- service computation date (SCD).
Veterans: veteran eligibility documentation (DD-214 Member #4 Copy, VA Letter, Standard Form (SF) 15 as applicable). Please note: If you are a veteran who has not yet been discharged, you may provide a statement of intent to discharge from your agency to receive Veterans Preference under the VOW (Veterans Opportunity to Work) to Hire Heroes Act of 2011.
Persons with Disabilities: Individuals with intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities may apply for appointment through the Schedule A hiring authority. Certified verification of a disability from a licensed medical professional; a licensed vocational rehabilitation specialist; or any Federal, state, or District of Columbia agency or U.S. territory that issues or provides disability benefits will be required.
Displaced Federal employees who qualify for CTAP/ICTAP: If you are a former Federal employee who was displaced due to a Reduction-in-Force (RIF) or surplused by some other means, please submit a copy of the separation letter or RIF notice from your agency. To be selected under I/CTAP, you must still be found well-qualified for this position. Please see the OPM Guide to Career Transition for more information.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To be considered for this position, you must submit your complete application no later than 11:59pm U.S. Eastern Time on the closing date of this announcement. If you do not submit a complete application prior to the closing time (regardless of when you started) the online application system will not allow you to finish! Requests for extensions will not be granted, so please begin the application process allowing yourself enough time to finish before the deadline. Our online application system displays a countdown timer at the top of the screen for your reference.
For your security, your session in our online application system will "time-out" if you are inactive for a certain period of time. We recommend that you preview the assessment questions before you apply and prepare all of your information prior to beginning the application. If you do get "timed-out" you will have to log back in to USAJOBS and re-visit the vacancy announcement, you can then click "Update Application" to finish where you left off.
Steps to submit a complete application:
- Click the "Apply Online" button. If you are not already logged in, you will need to do so.
- You must have a complete resume associated with your USAJOBS account. Please note that some DOE offices do not accept uploaded resumes and instead require that you submit a USAJOBS-formatted resume using the Resume Builder.
- You will be prompted to select a resume and any documentation you have attached to your USAJOBS account before you are transferred to the Department of Energy's online application system. Please be aware that any document you select before being transferred to our system, will not automatically be received. You must take steps to download your documents from USAJOBS during the "Documents" step within our online application system (see Step 6).
- If you are a first-time applicant to the Department of Energy, you'll be asked to register an account first. If you are a returning applicant, you will skip this step and go straight to the application portion.
- You must respond to all applicant assessment questions, carefully following all instructions provided.
- You will then be asked to upload additional supporting documentation. If you selected documents from USAJOBS prior to being transferred to our application system (Step 3), you will need to click the "USAJOBS" link to complete the transfer process. These documents ARE NOT automatically transferred! It is ultimately your responsibility to make sure all required documents are either faxed, uploaded, or transferred from USAJOBS successfully. If you are unsure that your documents went through, please contact the HR Specialist listed on the announcement BEFORE the vacancy closes.
- After reviewing your submission in the final step, you must click "Submit Application" at the bottom of the page. If you leave the application before clicking Submit, your application will not be received.
- If you experience any difficulties with the online application process (anything after you have clicked the 'Apply Online' button): contact the HR Office listed on this announcement between normal business hours. If you are receiving any kind of error message, please be ready to provide a screenshot or at a minimum, the error message text and number. If necessary, we will put you in touch with the technical support number if we are unable to assist you personally.
- If you need help with USAJOBS (searching for jobs, account password/profile issues, or Resume Builder): please visit the USAJOBS Resource Center and select a topic of inquiry. Or, you may reach out to USAJOBS directly for support, by visiting the USAJOBS Contact Us page. We regret that we are unable to support any issues with USAJOBS, as this service is not maintained by the Department of Energy.
- If you are experiencing a significant hardship which hinders your ability to apply online please contact the HR Office listed on this announcement during normal business hours to discuss your situation.
Agency contact information
AddressDepartment of Energy
1000 Independence Ave SW
Washington, District of Columbia 20585
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Department of Energy, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
After each step in the recruitment process, your status will be updated in our application tracking system. Once this happens, if you have elected to receive e-mail updates, you will be notified through your USAJOBS registered e-mail address. If you have not elected for e-mail updates, you can review your current application status in USAJOBS at any time. Please check that your USAJOBS profile contact information is current and correct each time you apply to a job--this will ensure we are able to contact you as quickly as possible.
In addition to changing your status online, we will send you e-mail notifications at each major step in the process, to include: application received, eligible or not eligible, referred or not referred, selected or not selected.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/507407500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.