About the Position: This position has vacancies in 2 different locations within the US Army Corp of Engineers. The locations are in Baltimore, MD and Mobile, AL.Learn more about this agency
This position serves under the Geo-technical Section, Engineering Division. You will operate trucks, tractors, and other equipment assigned to the drill crew. You will make routine repairs when deficiencies are discovered.
- The work in this position is physically demanding and occurs in a field setting that requires recurring work at project sites at potentially contaminated sites and in potentially adverse weather conditions.
- These project sites may pose a potential health hazard due to the presence of site specific hazardous chemicals, compounds, and/or toxins.
- Personal protective equipment and clothing must be worn at specified locations and exposure level readings.
76% or greater - 70-100 Percent Business Travel
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- Requires participation in the Department of Army Drug-Free Federal Workplace Program to include passing a urinalysis drug testing prior to appointment and passing random urinalysis drug testing after appointment.
- Travel requires 70-100% of the time.
- Must possess and maintain a valid, State-issued Motor Vehicle Driver?s License in order for the incumbent to perform the basic duties of the position upon entrance on duty.
- Required to participate in the Medical Surveillance Program to include passing a physical examination prior to appointment and annually after appointment.
- Required to lift objects weighing up to 200 lbs.
- Required to obtain and maintain within 12 months of entrance on duty a Class B Commercial Driver's License for operating motor vehicles of 26,001 or more pounds (gross vehicle weight) and towing trailers up to 10,000 pounds.
- This is a Financial Management Level 1 Certified position. Incumbent of this position is required to comply with all Department of Defense and Department of the Army requirements of this certification program.
QualificationsWho May Apply: US Citizens
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
There is no specific length of training or experience required. However, you must be able to demonstrate, through experience shown in your written application materials that you possess the sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the work of this position without more than normal supervision.
Minimum Qualifications (Screen Out Element): Ability to do the work of a(n) Drill Rig Operator (Motor Vehicle Operator)~ without more than normal supervision. Abilities include working outside in all types of weather conditions, limited experience repairing, operating and maintaining small equipment. - Failure to meet this Screen out Element will result in an ineligible rating.
To meet the basic eligibility, you must receive at least two points on the screen-out element indicated above and must have an average of two points on all the job elements listed below. Your application will be further evaluated to determine if you meet the best qualified cut-off for referral to the selecting official.
- Ability To Do The Work Of The Position Without More Than Normal Supervision (Screen-out Element)
- Ability to Drive Safely (Motor Vehicles)
- Ability To Interpret Instructions, Specifications, etc. (related to mobile equipment operation)
- Reliability and Dependability as a Drill Rig Operator
- Work Practices (includes keeping things neat, clean, and in order)
- Physical Effort: Requires standing for prolonged periods, walking, bending, pushing, pulling and lifting. Handles large diameter bits, 6 to 12 inches, core barrels up to 7-5/8 inches in diameters, and uses 20 foot lengths of drill rods. Uses heavy chain tongs to make up tool strings, add and remove drive barrels, lift and screw and unscrew 5 foot lengths of drive pipe weighing up to 200 lbs. Handles heavy or awkward items with assistance of hoisting equipment or is aided by other employees. Wear protective gear required for work on HTRW sites restricting the employee's movement and ability to perform routine functions.
- Working Conditions: Drilling work routinely consists of geotechnical investigations for Military, Civil Works and Support For Others Projects and geo/environmental investigations on Hazardous Toxic and Radioactive Waste (HTRW) sites. Work on HTRW sites requires the wearing of protective gear against possible exposure to chemical hazards. The employee is required to participate in the District's medical surveillance program. Use of specified personal protective equipment is mandatory. Work is conducted in the field up to 90% of the time. Works outside in all types of weather, frequently in wet, muddy, very cold or hot, and dirty condition, exposed to poison growth, reptiles, and insects and under noisy conditions. May perform drilling operations over water. Grease, oil, and other lubricants as well as fuels are present during operation, maintenance and repair of equipment and accessories. The employee may be exposed to a variety of health and safety hazards requiring the use of protective equipment and clothing such as respirators, safety glasses, shoes, hats, body suits, and harnesses. The employee may carry/wear equipment (i.e., air tanks, drill samples, etc.) up to 50 lbs. in weight.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 18 position.
- You may claim military spouse preference.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria; (2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 90 or above; and, (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
- THIS IS A FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT Level 1 Certified position designated as such in accordance with the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) 2012, Public Law 112-81, Subtitle F-Financial Management, section 1051, amending 10 United States Code, section 1599d. Incumbent of this position is required to comply with all Department of Defense and Department of the Army requirements of this certification program. This certification requirement is a condition of employment for this position. Failure to obtain this certification within the required time may subject the incumbent to adverse action.
How You Will Be Evaluated
This is an Open-Continuous Announcement. Applications will be accepted through January 9, 2019. Announcement MAY CLOSE EARLIER if all available vacancies have been filled prior January 9, 2019.
The 1st Cut-Off date for receipt and referral of applicants to be considered for available vacant positions will be July 23, 2018.
The 2nd Cut-Off date for receipt and referral of applicants to be considered for available vacant positions will be August 24, 2018.
The 3rd Cut-Off date for receipt and referral of applicants to be considered for available vacant positions will be September 25, 2018.
The 4th Cut-Off date for receipt and referral of applicants to be considered for available vacant positions will be October 26, 2018.
The 5th Cut-Off date for receipt and referral of applicants to be considered for available vacant positions will be November 27, 2018.
The 6th Cut-Off date for receipt and referral of applicants to be considered for available vacant positions will be December 28, 2018.
The final Cut-Off date for receipt and referral of applicants to be considered for available vacant positions will be the closing date of the announcement - January 9, 2019.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.
Background checks and security clearance
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External).
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application will be marked as incomplete and you will not receive consideration for this position.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 01/09/2019 to receive consideration
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application (https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10206769).
- Follow the prompts to select your résumé and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
- It is your responsibility to verify that your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) is complete, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
- Additional information on how to complete the online application process and submit your online application may be found on the USA Staffing Applicant Resource Center.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
If you submit an inquiry to the e-mail address listed in the Agency Contact Information below please identify the announcement number of the position in the subject line of the e-mail. This will expedite a response to your inquiry.
Agency contact information
Army Applicant Help Desk
DO NOT MAIL
Baltimore, MD 21203
Looking for a great place to work? The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is one of the best! In 2016, USACE ranked number two of government large-agency subcomponents! As rated by their employees, USACE supervisors strongly support employee development and opportunities to demonstrate leadership skills, while also maintaining an optimal work/life balance. The Corps offers a team-inspiring and collaborative work environment; providing challenging and rewarding careers across a variety of disciplines.
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/504021100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.