Functional PurposeLearn more about this agency
Conducts forensic analyses to develop and identify latent prints utilizing appropriate scientific methodologies, forensic techniques, and quality assurance practices in support of criminal and administrative investigations.
F & TSD LABORATORY
22433 RANDOLPH DR
DULLES, VA 20104-9998
- Conducts forensic examinations of latent prints through the application of scientific practices for the recognition, collection, analysis, and interpretation of physical evidence for criminal and civil law or regulatory purposes to include examination of evidence using biological, chemical, and physical methods.
- Examines and analyzes evidence and interprets scientific observations and data to render conclusions, form opinions and produce reports.
- Provides expert witness testimony; produces comprehensive reports and illustrative exhibits for federal, state, and local judicial proceedings at a level sufficient to explain evidence interpretations and conclusions from forensic examinations and scientific data to a lay audience.
- Serves as a subject matter expert and technical advisor in matters relating to the proper collection, preservation, packaging, and submission of criminal evidence; participates in crime scene evidence collection activities in major field investigations; ensures evidence handling requirements are met.
- Performs ongoing evaluation and validation of laboratory instrumentation and methods, operating protocols, and safety practices under supervision; maintains awareness of safety procedures and identifies possible physical conditions and/or laboratory procedures that may create unsafe conditions.
- Delivers training in laboratory services, evidence collection, crime scene processing and field examination.
- Conducts studies and research for improving forensic analyses, scientific methods, and criminal identification procedures.
- Acts as liaison with postal management and federal, state, and local organizations on technical developments, forensic methods, and investigative problems of common interest.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
SPECIAL CONDITIONS: Security clearance requires a background investigation, a criminal records check, and proof of U.S. citizenship. Qualified applicant (if not currently an Inspection Service employee) must successfully pass a drug screening to meet the Inspection Service's requirement.
QualificationsThe United States Postal Service has the following excellent and challenging employment opportunity for highly motivated and innovative individuals. Successful candidates must demonstrate through a combination of education, training, and experience the following requirements:
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing in order to prepare reports of examination results and conclusions, and provide testimony as an expert witness before state, federal or other judicial bodies.
- Ability to provide training related to laboratory services, evidence collection, and field examination.
- Ability to conduct and document scientific research related to latent print examinations.
- Skill in the use of magnifiers and digital / optical enhancement instrumentation.
- Knowledge of forensic science techniques, laboratory protocols, scientific methodologies, quality assurance standards and latent print examination procedures sufficient to conduct detailed and complex analyses and interpretation of the value of evidentiary items.
- Ability to render conclusions/opinions and make recommendations based on scientific practices of recognition, collection, and interpretation of physical evidence related to latent print examinations.
- Knowledge of evidence collection, preservation, packaging and shipment procedures sufficient to serve as a technical advisor in such matters and to ensure evidence handling requirements are met.
- EDUCATION: Applicants must possess a Bachelor's degree in forensic science, physical or biological sciences, life sciences, chemistry or a closely related field from a college or university accredited by a national or regional accreditation organization recognized and sanctioned by the U.S. Department of Education.
Please read the "Qualifications" section.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Please read the "Next steps" section.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Please read the "How To Apply" section.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m., Central Time, of the posting's closing date. Applicants claiming veterans' preference must attach a copy of member copy 4 (only) of Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214) or other proof of eligibility if claiming 10-point veterans' preference. The United States Postal Service (USPS) is an equal opportunity employer. The USPS provides reasonable accommodation for any part of the application, interview, and/or selection process, please make your request to the examiner, selecting official or local manager of Human Resources. This request can also be made by someone on your behalf. Explain the nature of your limitations and the accommodation needed. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
SPECIAL NOTE: Current career Postal Service employees are ineligible to apply to this posting.
Agency contact information
AddressUS Postal Service
United States Postal Service
475 L'Enfant Plaza SW
Washington, DC 20260
Qualified applicants must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screening to meet the U.S. Postal Service's requirement to be drug free. Applicants must also be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident alien status.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/503945200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.