As Social Media Editor in the News Center, this individual will be responsible for setting strategy and supervising a staff of editors, reporters, and producers implementing projects, reports, and promotions of VOA's materials generated by the Social Media Team. He/she will be directing social content, increasing engagement on all platforms, and assessing language service materials to determine what should be issued to a broader social audience.Learn more about this agency
As Supervisory Social Media Editor, the incumbent leads and supervises a team of professional reporters and editors who are charged with creating graphics, videos, photo blogs, quizzes, Facebook lives, streams and other materials for use on the News Center's social media platforms and for versioning by language services. He/she will also actively participate in the implementation of the strategy, creating content, writing, posting in different social media platforms, and editing (Photo/video/text). Additionally, this individual:
- Sets strategy and goals, creates social media content and oversees the team's effort to implement these goals by training and managing the team.
- Provides expert guidance and editorial direction for social media products and creates new ways to use the platforms to meet agency goals.
- Creates graphics, videos, photo blogs, quizzes, Facebook lives, streams, and other social media materials.
- Communicates frequently with the team to make sure that all work related issues are understood, are on top of the news and knows what enterprise content is coming; provides easy reversion content that is useful to the language services; and ensures comprehensive and timely coverage and necessary updates, as needed.
- Works closely with the VOA Digital Strategy team.
- Comes up with new strategies for hitting goals, especially those, which engages VOA's News Center targeted audiences.
- Utilizes metrics to assess views and engagement and provides expert analysis about what VOA audiences want and react to, suggesting new angles or areas of coverage.
- Leads social media team in creating, editing, and scheduling posts across all News Center platforms.
- Guides reporters, editors, and producers on reporting for social media and creating content for different platforms.
- Works with assignments, TV and Hub editors to assign reporting for social media content; and guides staff in using social media as a reporting tool.
- Leads content marketing and sets ad budgets and campaigns.
- Develops and implements social media campaigns, including engagement tactics and brand awareness for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
- Develops and directs paid social media advertising campaigns for Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and emerging channels.
- Stays current on all digital media technologies trends, and best practices.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Candidates MUST meet all qualification requirements by closing date.
- Applicants must complete online questionnaire.
- U.S. citizenship required.
- This is a sensitive or national security position.
- If selected, this position requires the completion of the SF-86.
- This position has been designated supervisory requiring that the selectee on an initial appointment as a supervisor or manager serve a one-year probationary period.
- Suitability Determination: If selected, you will be subject to a security investigation to establish your suitability for Federal employment. The security investigation will include, among other aspects, a review of your credit and legal history.
- This position may require working nights, weekends, and holidays.
- You will be paid by direct deposit to a financial organization.
QualificationsApplicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level (GS-12), which is directly related to this line of work.
Specialized Experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position, which are listed below:
Experience developing and implementing social media campaigns, paid advertising campaigns including engagement tactics and brand awareness for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and emerging channels.
Experience in social media and other digital media and journalistic principles, practices, and ethics, as well as the principles, practices, and ethics for news gathering, writing, and editing.
Experience in designing conventions, best practices, and techniques for social media.
Experience in metrics, analytics, social media and mobile technologies.
Applicants cannot substitute education for experience.
1. If you are an eligible Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) applicant you may apply for special selection over other candidates for this position. To be well qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85 or above on the rating criteria for this position. CTAP eligibles must submit one of the following as proof of eligibility for the special selection priority: a separation notice; a "Notice of Personnel Action" (SF-50) documenting separation; an agency certification that you cannot be placed after injury compensation has been terminated; an OPM notification that your disability annuity has been terminated; OR a Military Department or National Guard Bureau notification that you are retired under 5 U.S.C. 8337(h) or 8456.
2. If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/59 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency.
3. All qualification requirements must by the closing date of this announcement. Additional information on the qualification requirements is outlined in the OPM Qualifications Standards Handbook of General Schedule Positions. The Handbook is available for your review in our office, in other Federal agency personnel offices, and on OPM's web site at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications.
Additional selections may be made if additional/identical vacancies occur within 90 days of certificate issuance.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Once your resume or application is submitted a review of your qualification will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements and competencies required for this position.
- Communications and Media
- Oral Communication
- Technical Competence
Possession of competencies may be addressed in a cover letter and/or resume. To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. The numeric rating you receive is based on your responses to the questionnaire. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your qualifications. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
Background checks and security clearance
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s), which may not be required for all applicants:
- VA Disability Letter
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-point veterans' preference, you must attach a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must attach an Application of 10-Point Veterans' Preference (SF-15) plus the proof required by that form. If you are still on active duty, you may submit a statement of service from your Personnel Command which states the date you entered active duty, the date you are separating, and the campaign medals you have received.
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
If you cannot complete the Application Package online, please contact the Human Resource office.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the occupational questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 07/09/2018 to receive consideration.To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log into your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
Click the Submit Application button to submit your application package.
It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation are submitted prior to the closing date. To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://login.usajobs.gov/account/signin. The page will display the positions for which you've applied as well as the status of each application. Click on the plus sign (+) next to the job title to expand information about the job, then click on Additional Application Information to see the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click on the plus sign (+) next to the job title to expand information about the job. Nex click on Update Application to complete the application process.Note: Submission of a resume alone IS NOT a complete application. This position requires the completion of additional forms and/or supplemental materials as described previously. Please carefully review the complete job announcement and the "How to Apply" instructions. Failure to provide the required information and/or materials, by 11:59 P.M. on 07/09/2018 will result in your not being considered for employment.
Agency contact information
AddressCentral News Division
330 Independence Avenue SW
Room 4700 Cohen Building
Washington, DC 20237
INTRODUCTION TO AGENCY: The Broadcasting Board of Governors is an exciting, multi-media, multi-cultural, global media agency that carries out all United States civilian international broadcasting. Our media networks complement and reinforce one another in a shared mission vital to U.S. national interests: to inform, engage, and connect people around the world in support of freedom and democracy. Our staff of dedicated professionals serve as an example of a free and independent media, bringing news, information, and relevant discussions to a weekly audience of over 278 million people worldwide in over 60 languages via radio, television, Internet, and social media.
BBG media networks include the Voice of America and the Office of Cuba Broadcasting (Radio and TV Marti) and three grantee organizations: Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, the Middle East Broadcasting Networks (Alhurra TV and Radio Sawa), and Radio Free Asia.
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Broadcasting Board of Governors, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Once the online questionnaire is received, you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. After a review of your complete application is made, you will be notified of your rating and/or referral to the hiring official. If further evaluation or interviews are required, you will be contacted.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/502636600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.