Any offers of employment made pursuant to this announcement will be consistent with all applicable authorities, including Presidential Memoranda, Executive Orders, Interpretive U. S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and U. S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) guidance, and Office of Management and Budget plans and policies concerning hiring. These authorities are subject to change.Learn more about this agency
As a Pathways Recent Graduate IT Specialist (Systems Administration) GS 2210 7, your typical work assignments may include the following under supervision:
- Inventory, examine, and perform analysis of seized computer related evidence such as magnetic media storage devices and other digital, electronic, and mobile devices.
- Conduct independent forensic investigations of personal computers, removable media, Personal Digital Assistants, and other electronic equipment.
- Use a variety of methods to apply investigative tactics, techniques, and processes to identify conditions and circumstances required to open a criminal case.
- Produce and disseminate written investigative reports including technical analysis and investigative findings.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- U. S. Citizenship Required
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for Selective Service
- You must successfully pass a background investigation
- You must be able to obtain a TS/SCI Security Clearance
- You must submit to a pre-employment drug test
- You must be 16 years of age or older to apply
QualificationsELIGIBILITY FOR PATHWAYS RECENT GRADUATE PROGRAM:
To be eligible for this position, you must be a recent graduate from a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate program from a qualifying educational institution within 2 years of the closing date of the announcement.
Veterans unable to apply within two years of receiving their degree, due to military service obligation, have as much as six years after degree completion to apply.
NOTE: Qualifying educational institution means--
(1) A public high school whose curriculum has been approved by a State or local governing body, a private high school that provides secondary education as determined under State law, or a homeschool that is allowed to operate in a State; and
(2) Any of the following educational institutions or curricula that have been accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Education:
(i) A technical or vocational school;
(ii) A 2-year or 4-year college or university;
(iii) A graduate or professional school (e.g., law school, medical school); or
(iv) A post-secondary homeschool curriculum.
Applicants must demonstrate on their resume that they have IT-related experience and/or education demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below:
- Attention to Detail-- Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Customer Service-- Works with clients and customers to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; and is committed to providing quality products and services.
- Oral Communication-- Expresses information to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information; makes clear and convincing oral presentations.
- Problem Solving-- Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
You qualify for the GS-07 grade level if you possess one of the following:
A. One year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-05 grade level in Federal service, that demonstrates the ability to to analyze, evaluate, and disseminate information relating to the digital forensic analysis of digital and electronic devices and accurately evaluating and interpreting information from a variety of sources.
B. One full year of graduate level education at an accredited or pre-accredited college or university; OR
C. A combination of successfully completed graduate level education and specialized experience as described above. This will be calculated using your resume and unofficial transcripts or a list of courses/course hours submitted with your application; OR
D. A bachelor's degree with superior academic achievement, which is based on (1) class standing, (2) grade-point average, or (3) honor society membership:
(1) Class standing - Applicants must be in the upper third of the graduating class in the college, university, or major subdivision, such as the College of Liberal Arts or the School of Business Administration, based on completed courses.
(2) Grade-point average (GPA.) - Applicants must have a grade-point average of: 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B" or better) as recorded on their official transcript, or as computed based on 4 years of education, or as computed based on courses completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum; or 3.5 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B+" or better) based on the average of the required courses completed in the major field or the required courses in the major field completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum.
(3) Election to membership in a national scholastic honor society -- Applicants can be considered eligible based on membership in one of the national scholastic honor societies listed by the Association of College Honor Societies (external link). Membership in a freshman honor society cannot be used to meet the requirements of this provision.
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications; applicant's resumes and supporting documentation should only reflect education received from schools accredited by such institutions. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following Website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html .
If qualifying based on your education, you must submit a copy of your college transcript. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted. Official transcripts will be required if you are selected for the position.
Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the above requirements. You must show that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying. Please visit OPM's web site at https://www.opm.gov/qualifications/SEC-II/s2-e4.htm#e4a for additional information on this topic.
For Alternate Application Information please go to: https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=Alternate_Application_Information
DHS offers competitive salaries and an attractive benefits package, including: health, dental, vision, life, and long-term care insurance; retirement plan; Thrift Savings Plan [similar to a 401(k)]; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; personal leave days; and paid federal holidays. Other benefits may include: flexible work schedules; telework; tuition reimbursement; transportation subsidies; uniform allowance; health and wellness programs; and fitness centers. DHS is committed to employee development and offers a variety of employee training and developmental opportunities. For more information, go to the DHS Careers website and search "Employee Benefits."
Promotion Potential: This position has promotion potential to GS-12.
This position may be filled at the GS-7 level. If selection is made at the GS-7 level, promotion to the GS-9, GS-11, and GS-12 level may occur without further competition.
Selectee may be required to serve a one-year trial period
Selectee will be required to complete an OGE 450, Confidential Financial Disclosure Form.
Permanent Change of Duty Station (PCS) Expenses will not be paid.
Background Investigation: To ensure the accomplishment of its mission, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) requires each and every employee to be reliable and trustworthy. To meet those standards, all selected applicants must undergo and successfully complete a background investigation for TS/SCI clearance as a condition of placement in this special sensitive position. This review includes financial issues such as delinquency in the payment of debts, child support and/or tax obligations, as well as certain criminal offenses and illegal use or possession of drugs.
Pursuant to Executive Order 12654 and DHS policy, DHS is committed to maintaining a drug-free workplace and, therefore, conducts random and other drug testing of its employees in order to ensure a safe and healthy work environment. Headquarters personnel in safety- or security-sensitive positions are subject to random drug testing and all applicants tentatively selected for employment at DHS Headquarters are subject to drug testing resulting in a negative test result.
Special Hiring Authorities
Veterans, Peace Corps / VISTA volunteers, and Individuals with disabilities possess a wealth of unique talents, experiences, and competencies that can be invaluable to the DHS mission. If you are a member of one of these groups, you may not have to compete with the public for federal jobs. To determine your eligibility and to understand the documentation that would be required with your application, click on the links above and contact the Servicing Human Resources Office listed at the bottom of this announcement.
Multiple selections may be made from this announcement.
By applying to this announcement certifies that you give permission for DHS to share your application with others in DHS for other similar positions.
DHS uses e-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities.
How You Will Be Evaluated
How You Will Be Evaluated Language: Category Grouping
We will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements.
We will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. If you meet the minimum qualifications, your experience, edu
- Digital Forensic
- Problem Solving
- Digital Forensic
- Problem Solving
You will then be placed within one of three categories based on your responses. If you meet the minimum qualifications, you will be placed in one of the following categories:
- Best Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a superior level of all evaluation criteria.
- Well Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level of the evaluation criteria.
- Qualified: Applicants possessing the basic qualifications, with general knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Application of Veterans' Preference: Category rating and selection procedures place those with veterans' preference above non-veterans within each category. Veterans who show proof they meet the eligibility and qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent are listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 level or higher.
Background checks and security clearance
- Your resume.
- Your responses to the job questionnaire. https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10227828~
- Submit a copy of your college transcript (unofficial transcripts are acceptable). Prior to appointment, an official college transcript will be required. Those with foreign education, click this link. [Remove this bullet if it is not applicable]
- Are you a veteran? Submit a copy of your Member 4 DD-214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) that shows your type of discharge and character of service and/or documentation of service connected disability. Those applying for 10-point preference must fill out the SF-15 (click here for form) and provide the required documentation (e.g. VA letter) listed on the back of the form. Click here for more veterans' information.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the occupational questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 06/14/2018.
To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login , select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Paper applications and information sent by mail WILL NOT be accepted. We strongly encourage you to apply online.
Agency contact information
AddressDepartment of Homeland Security Headquarters
245 Murray Lane SW
Washington, DC 20528
The Recent Graduates Program affords developmental experiences in the Federal Government intended to promote possible careers in the civil service to individuals who have recently graduated from qualifying educational institutions or programs.Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
This position is located in the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Office of the Chief Security Officer (OCSO).
The Primary purpose of this position is to apply information technology knowledge, skills and abilities, as well as technical expertise in the examination of digital electronic evidence.
All DHS-HQ announcements have a 5 business day open period due to the number of applications received.
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at DHS Headquarters, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Once you submit your application, we will assess your experience and training, identify the best qualified applicants, and refer those applications to the hiring manager for further consideration and interviews. We will notify you by email after each of these steps has been completed. Your status will also be updated on USAJOBS throughout the process. To check your status, log on to your USAJOBS account, click on "Application Status," and then click "More Information."
We expect to make a final job offer within 60 days after the deadline for applications. If you are selected, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
For more information on applying for Federal employment, please click here.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/501822000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.