Statement on Senior Executive Service (SES) PositionsLearn more about this agency
The Senior Executive Service (SES) is a corps of executives selected for their superior leadership qualifications. Members of the SES serve in key positions just below the top Presidential appointees, and are the major link between these appointees and the rest of the federal workforce. Candidates for SES positions must possess both technical qualifications (subject matter expertise) and executive qualifications (leadership and managerial experience). By definition, SES positions are managerial, supervisory, and policy positions classified above the GS15 grade level.
The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) is looking for a motivated executive to serve as the Executive Director of The Build America Bureau within the Office of the Secretary. The Build America Bureau is responsible for driving transportation infrastructure development projects in the United States. The Executive Director reports directly to the Under Secretary of Transportation for Policy and is responsible for the management and oversight of the daily activities, decisions, operations, and personnel of the Bureau, supports the Council on Credit and Finance, and carries out such additional duties as the Secretary of Transportation may prescribe. The Executive Director also provides leadership and management of finance programs such as Transportation Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act (TIFIA) Credit Program, Railroad Rehabilitation and Improvement Financing (RRIF) Program, Private Activity Bonds, and other grants. The Build America Bureau was established to streamline credit opportunities and grants quickly and transparently, while providing technical assistance and encouraging innovative best practices in project planning, financing, delivery, and monitoring. To achieve this vision, a seasoned executive with unparalleled financial management expertise is needed to serve in this critical Executive Director role. Are you up to the challenge?
The Executive Director, The Build America Bureau:
- Provides direct supervisory and management oversight to The Build America Bureau with several senior-level reports. Performance will involve program oversight, day-to-day human capital management to include hiring recommendations, approving leave, assigning and reviewing work, resolving complaints, assessing staff training needs, assessing employee performance, funds oversight, as well as subject matter review such as contract actions, policy development and interpretation, and system operations and development.
- Formulates and communicates high-level recommendations on the creditworthiness of a variety of programs to the Secretary, Deputy Secretary, Under Secretary of Transportation for Policy, CFO/Assistant Secretary for Budget and the Council on Credit and Finance.
- Serves as a senior advisor to Departmental leadership on major infrastructure, investment and financial issues related to short-term and long-term policy initiatives.
- Oversees the coordination of Department of Transportation’s financial participation in major transportation projects receiving credit assistance. Consults with the highest level of Departmental leadership and financial experts in establishing credit policies and procedures for such projects.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Applications will be accepted from all groups of qualified U.S. Citizens.
Please note we will perform interim review on midnight of May 8, 2018, and May 17, 2018.
Questions? This job is open to 2 groups.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Submit application and resume online by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date.
- Provide all required documents by closing date.
- Must be able to obtain a Top Secret clearance.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- PROBATIONARY PERIOD: Complete a one-year SES probationary period (unless already completed).
- FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE: Complete a Public Financial Disclosure report, OGE-278. You will need to provide the information annually.
- DRUG TEST: This position is subject to a pre-employment drug test and random drug testing during employment.
- SECURITY CLEARANCE: This position requires the ability to obtain and retain a Top Secret clearance.
QualificationsAs a basic requirement for entry into the Senior Executive Service (SES), you must clearly articulate and describe within your resumeevidence of progressively responsible supervisory, managerial, or professional experience which involved management of a program or organization of significant scope and complexity. The experience must have been sufficiently responsible to show clearly your ability to perform the duties of this position and meet the mandatory Technical Qualifications and Managerial Executive Core Qualifications listed below.
TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS (TQs): Below is the description of the technical qualification that must be clearly evident in your resume.
- Extensive executive-level experience in private sector finance, including loan negotiations, infrastructure development or advisory role, project delivery and technical assistance.
ECQ 1 - LEADING CHANGE: This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment. Leadership Competencies: Creativity and Innovation, External Awareness, Flexibility, Resilience, Strategic Thinking, Vision
ECQ 2 - LEADING PEOPLE: This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts. Leadership Competencies: Conflict Management, Leveraging Diversity, Developing Others, Team Building
ECQ 3 - RESULTS DRIVEN: This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks. Leadership Competencies: Accountability, Customer, Decisiveness, Entrepreneurship, Problem Solving, Technical Credibility
ECQ 4 - BUSINESS ACUMEN: This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically. Leadership Competencies: Financial Management, Human Capital Management, Technology Management
ECQ 5 - BUILDING COALITIONS: This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals. Leadership Competencies: Partnering, Political Savvy, Influencing/Negotiating
FUNDAMENTAL COMPETENCIES: The following competencies are the foundation for success in each of the Executive Core Qualifications: Interpersonal Skills, Oral Communication, Written Communication, Integrity/Honesty, Continual Learning, and Public Service Motivation.
Additional information about the SES and Executive Core Qualifications can be found on the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) SES Website.
You are strongly encouraged to review OPMs Guide to SES Qualifications for specific examples and guidance on writing effective ECQ narrative statements and executive resumes.
Retirement/Pension Plan - You will be covered by a defined benefit, contributory Federal retirement system that provides benefits for both normal retirement (with as few as 5 years of civilian service) and for circumstances that might occur earlier, such involuntary retirement because of disability.
Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) - You may participate in a retirement savings investment plan that offers before-tax savings and tax-deferred investment earnings. For more details, please visit the TSP website
Employee Assistance - Employees and their immediate families can take advantage of free confidential counseling with health professionals as part of the Federal Employees Assistance Program.
Transit Benefits - We subsidize up to $255 of mass transit commuting costs each month.
Telework - DOT recognizes the importance and encourages the use of telework.
Information related to performance, suitability, and security will be verified.If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or you may be subject to fine imprisonment, or other disciplinary action.
How You Will Be Evaluated
An SES reviewing panel will evaluate your application based on the quality and extent of your total accomplishments, experience, and education. Applicants determined to be highly qualified may undergo an interview and a reference check. If you are contacted for a second-round interview, you may be asked to submit a written narrative statement addressing each of the ECQ areas (Leading Change, Leading People, Results Driven, Business Acumen, Building Coalitions). If selected, your written narrative statement addressing the ECQs must be certified by an OPM Qualifications Review Board (QRB), unless you are a current SES executive or have successfully participated in an OPM approved SES Candidate Development Program. You must receive certification before you can be appointed to the position.
All applications must be completed and submitted electronically no later than midnight ET of the closing date. Final reviews will be performed after the announcement closing, and timely notice of the status of your application will be emailed to you. You may check the status of your application for this position at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and selecting Application Status.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
The following documents must be provided by the closing date:
- RESUME - You must submit a resume which cannot exceed five (5) pages. Any information submitted in excess of five (5) pages WILL NOT be considered. The resume must provide evidence of how you possess the technical qualifications and the 5 ECQs. Include name on each page. No photos allowed.
- COVER LETTER – You should submit a one-page cover letter highlighting key experience and interest in the position advertised.
- SF-50 - Current & former federal employees should submit an SF-50 which shows your current (or most recent grade.)
- Current Career Senior Executives and individuals with SES reinstatement eligibility must submit a copy of an SF-50 which shows career SES status
- CANDIDATE DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM CERTIFICATE - individuals who have successfully completed an Office of Personnel Management (OPM) approved SES Candidate Development Program, submit a copy of your OPM certificate.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
The application process used to recruit for this position is RESUME ONLY. Within your resume, you should address all the ECQ's and the technical qualifications.
Application packages must be received online no later than 11:59pm Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement.
If submitting a cover letter, it can only be one page in length; all other pages WILL NOT be considered.
To begin, click the Apply Online button on the job announcement posting.
Create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account.
- Upload your resume and supporting documents.
Agency contact information
AddressDOT, OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY
1200 New Jersey Ave
Washington, District of Columbia 20590
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Office of the Secretary of Transportation, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
If you have opted to receive account status updates via USAJobs, you will receive online confirmation that your application package has been received. All applicants will receive a notification email of the final outcome regarding the hiring decision.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/497491300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.