Mission StatementLearn more about this agency
The NRO is the U.S. Government agency in charge of designing, building, launching and maintaining America's intelligence satellites. The NRO provides reconnaissance information to the Intelligence Community and the DoD warfighters. For more information see: http://www.nro.gov
VETERANS PREFERENCE/CURRENT OR FORMER FEDERAL
In accordance with DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 2005, veterans preference is not required to be applied when considering candidates with prior Federal competitive or excepted service who have completed a probationary or trial period and have not been separated for cause. Therefore, veterans preference will not be applied to applicants with current federal service, or former federal civilian service meeting the above criteria.
Re-employed Annuitant: This position does not meet criteria for re-employed annuitant. The DoD criteria for hiring Re-employed Annuitants can be found at: http://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Documents/DD/issuances/140025/1400.25-V300.pdf
As an Acquisition Project Manager you will be responsible for the following duties:
- Serves as an Acquisition Project manager in the National Reconnaissance Office - Ground Enterprise Directorate responsible for managing cost, schedule and performance of major contracts to develop, deliver, and sustain overhead reconnaissance systems, including, spacecraft hardware, ground and communication components, and mission software applications.
- Manages and assesses progress in assigned projects/programs, including cost, schedule, and performance supporting baseline requirements, by applying program management methods and procedures.
- Develops, executes, and monitors risk management strategies to address areas of concern or potential gaps.
- Provides input in source selection and assess contractor performance during all acquisition phases, including operations.
- Plans, organizes, and coordinates activities with functional specialist, including contracting, engineering, manufacturing program control, configuration/data management, test, logistics and operations support.
- Studies, reviews and evaluates program progress.
- Works closely and substantially with program Contracting Officers Technical Representatives (COTRs) and prime contractors to provide leadership and ensure program objectives are achieved within stringent cost, schedule, and technical performance requirements.
- Provides authoritative recommendations, briefings, and other formal and informal feedback and status to management on all aspects of program status, contractor technical performance and for all significant decision points.
- Secures classified information in accordance with E.O. 13526.
Occasional travel - May be required to travel CONUS and OCONUS in military or commercial aircraft to perform temporary duty
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Must be a US citizen
- Male born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service
- Resume and supporting documents received by 11:59PM EST will be considered
- This is a Drug Testing designated position
- Position is a (DCIPS) position in the Excepted Service under U.S.C. 1601
- Must obtain/maintain Critical Sensitive TS/SCI clearance w/polygraph
- WORK SCHEDULE: Full Time
- OVERTIME: Occasionally
- TOUR OF DUTY: Flexible
- PCS (Permanent Change of Station): Not Authorized
- FAIR LABOR STANDARDS ACT (FLSA): Exempt
- FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE: Required
- TELEWORK ELIGIBILITY: This position is NOT telework eligible
- SELECTIVE SERVICE REQUIREMENT: For more information please visit: https://www.sss.gov/
QualificationsThe experience described in your resume will be evaluated and screened from the Office of Personnel Management's (OPMs) basic qualifications requirements. See https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/#url=Group-Standards for OPM qualification standards, competencies and specialized experience needed to perform the duties of the position as described in the MAJOR DUTIES and QUALIFICATIONS sections of this announcement by04/18/2018.
- Substitution of education may not be used in lieu of specialized experience for this grade level.
- Superior Academic Achievement does not apply to DCIPS positions.
Specialized experience required for this position is:
- Applies Program Management skills to the research, strategic development, production, and support of architecture and frameworks for overhead reconnaissance ground and IT software subsystems or equipment.
- Manages cost, schedule and performance of major contracts to develop, deliver, and sustain ground and communication components that support spacecraft hardware and mission software applications.
- Knowledge of Intelligence Community and DoD laws, principles, policies and practices of system acquisition and program management.
- Administers program management skills to multi-million dollar space ground systems acquisition
- Plans and coordinates with a wide range of government, military, and functional specialist, including contracting, engineering, manufacturing program control, configuration/data management, test, logistics and operations support to ensure program objectives.
- Organizational Awareness
- Engineering & Technology
- Contracting and Acquisition
- Project/Program Management
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
All current and former civilian Federal employees must submit a copy of your latest SF50 (Notification of Personnel Action) showing your tenure, grade and step, and type of position occupied (i.e., Excepted or Competitive); or similar Notification of Personnel Action documentation, i.e., Transcript of Service, Form 1150, etc.
Employees Serviced by DLA: Civilian Federal employees who receive human resources servicing through the Defense Logistics Agency DO NOT need to submit supporting documentation if applying through merit promotion. Your record in Electronic Official Personnel Folder (eOPF) will be used to verify your eligibility. It is your responsibility to ensure the required documents are in your eOPF for verification purposes. If your documents are not in eOPF, you must submit them to the announcement you are applying for at the time of application. Failure to submit all of the documents on time will result in automatic disqualification.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Programs: This program applies to employees who have been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: 1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria; 2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 85 or above; and 3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. For more information:
Please review the General Application Information and Definitions at:
- Applicants selected from this announcement may be required to serve a two-year trial period.
- If selected, Federal employees currently serving in the competitive service must acknowledge that they will voluntarily leave the competitive service by accepting an offer of employment for a DCIPS Excepted Service positions.
- If selected, NON-DCIPS candidates must acknowledge in writing that the position they have been selected for is in the excepted service and covered by DCIPS.
- Selection under this appointment authority does not confer civil service competitive status.
- All applicants must meet qualifications and eligibility criteria by the closing date of the announcement.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements. To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. The numeric rating you receive is based on your responses to the questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the knowledge, skills and abilities required of this position. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
Background checks and security clearance
- Résumé: If multiple resumes are submitted by an applicant, only the last resume submitted will be reviewed for the qualifications and referred for selection consideration if eligible.
- Assessment Questionnaire
- Current or former federal employees must provide a copy of your latest SF-50 showing series and grade.
- Additional documents you may be required to submit vary based on what authority you are using to apply (i.e., applying for one of the categories such as a veteran, a current or former permanent Federal employee).
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package as described in REQUIRED
Click 'Apply Online' to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account.
1. Follow the prompts to complete the assessment questionnaire and upload required documents.
2. Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application.
3. Applications must be received by the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To review the status of an application through USAJOBS:
1. Log into your USAJOBS account.
2. Click Application Status within your profile to expand your application.
3. Locate the job announcement and click the more information link under the Status column for this position. You
will be routed to Application Manager. The Details tab displays by default. The Details tab displays comprehensive
information about the selected Application Package including: assessment(s) and the status, supporting
documents and their status, correspondence sent to you by the hiring agency, and your application processing
Please review the General Application Information and Definitions at:
Agency contact information
NRO Servicing Team
AddressNational Reconnaissance Office
14675 Lee Road
Chantilly, VA 20151
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Department of Defense - Agency Wide, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Once you successfully complete the application process, you will receive a notification of receipt. Your application package will be reviewed to ensure you meet the basic eligibility and qualifications requirements, and you will receive a notification. A review will be made of your online questionnaire and the documentation you submitted to support your responses. A list of qualified applicants will be created and sent to the selecting official. All applicants reviewed and/or referred will receive a notification letter.
The selecting official may choose to conduct interviews, and once the selection is made, you will receive a notification of the decision.
*NOTE: If you submit a resume but no questionnaire, you cannot be considered for the position. If you submit a questionnaire but no resume, you cannot be considered for the position. Your application will be appropriately documented and you will be removed from further competition against this announcement.
REGARDING INTERVIEWS: Interviews may be required for this position. Accommodations may be made to conduct telephonic interviews to preclude travel hardships for applicants. Note: Declining to be interviewed or failure to report for a scheduled interview will be considered as a declination for further consideration for employment against this vacancy.
The National Reconnaissance Office provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the point of contact for this job announcement. Your requests for reasonable accommodation will be addressed on a case-by-case basis.
This announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/496494100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.