About the Position:Learn more about this agency
Are you interested in helping to defend our Nation? Exciting career opportunities are available with the U.S. Army NETCOM!
This is a Direct Hire Solicitation for Cyber Workforce Positions.
Multiple vacancies exist and may be filled from this announcement at any of the locations listed. Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis. However, the first cut-off date for referral to the hiring official with known/projected vacancies is 3 days from the opening date of the announcement. Subsequently, applications will be referred to selecting officials every 14 days or as vacancies occur. There may or may not be actual/projected vacancies at the time you submit your application and designate your locations of choice. Your resume will not be reviewed for qualifications until a position is requested to be filled.
Period of Eligibility: Your resume and any documents submitted will be retained for three months and may be used at any time during this period. After 3 months, you must reapply to this announcement in order to be considered.
Positions listed with multiple grades may be filled at any grade level and may or may not have promotion potential.
Positions may be filled as permanent, temporary or term with a full-time or part-time work schedule. Temporary positions may be extended up to a maximum of three years. Term positions may be extended up to a maximum of six years.
Pay will vary by grade level and geographic location.
Position may be designated Emergency Essential (E-E) in support of mobilization and wartime mission. If designated E-E, employee will be required to remain in the overseas position in the event of hostilities or mobilization until relieved by proper authority. E-E employees are required to undergo nuclear-biological and chemical training and to participate in readiness tests, mobilization, alerts, and field training exercises. Employee must pass a medical examination and receive required immunizations for the overseas/deployed location.
- Developing policies and procedures to ensure information systems reliability and accessibility and to prevent and defend against unauthorized access to systems, networks, and data.
- Conducting risk and vulnerability assessments of planned and installed information systems to identify vulnerabilities, risks, and protection needs.
- Conducting systems security evaluations, audits, and reviews.
- Participating in network and systems design to ensure implementation of appropriate systems security policies.
- Assessing security events to determine impact and implementing corrective actions.
50% or less - Travel requirements vary by grade and position. While a few positions may require 50% business travel, most positions will have 10-30% business travel required.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- SECURITY CLEARANCE - This position may require the incumbent be able to obtain and maintain a determination of eligibility for a Secret or Top Secret security clearance or access for the duration of employment.
- POLYGRAPH - This position may require the incumbent to take and successfully pass a Counterintelligence Scope Polygraph (CI/Poly).
- TDY - This position may have a Temporary Duty (TDY) or business travel requirement of up to 50% of the time.
- PASSPORT - This position may require the incumbent to possess, or obtain and maintain, a valid regular or official U.S. Passport.
- SHIFT WORK/ROTATING SHIFTS - This position may require shift work to provide coverage on evenings, weekends, holidays, or special situations. Employee shifts may be rotated on a regularly scheduled basis.
- OVERTIME - Due to the nature of this position, employees are required to work both planned and unscheduled overtime.
- This position requires the incumbent to obtain and maintain the appropriate Information Assurance certification in accordance with DoD 8570.01-M, Information Assurance Workforce Improvement Program, within 6 months of entry onto duty.
- This position may be designated "Mission Essential". In the event of severe weather conditions or other such emergency type situations the incumbent is required to report to work or remain at work as scheduled to support mission operations.
QualificationsWho May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
GS-07 Minimum Qualifications
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience which includes assisting with analysis of information systems (e.g. networks, security, operating systems) compliance and assisting customers in resolving technical issues. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the second lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-05).
Education: One full year of graduate level education in a field which demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work of the position, such as: computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
Superior Academic Achievement: Successful completion of all the requirements for a bachelor's degree with Superior Academic Achievement. In order to be creditable under this provision, Superior Academic Achievement must have been gained in a curriculum that is qualifying for the position to be filled, such as that identified in Education above. See education section for full definition of Superior Academic Achievement.
GS-09 Minimum Qualifications
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience which includes collecting audit or usage data to prepare reports for management; assisting with security assessment and authorization activities or assisting in the development of Tenant Security Plans or assessing the security posture of information systems (IS) using a variety of automated tools; and remediating identified vulnerabilities within IT systems. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the second lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-07).
Education: Master's or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree in a field which demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work of the position, such as: computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
GS-11 Minimum Qualifications
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience which includes providing direct customer support to resolve a variety of issues such as security and connectivity; conducting system security assessments to ensure cyber security and/or information assurance policies are being followed; and analyzing reports or identifying security violations and recommending corrective actions. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the second lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-09).
Education: Ph.D or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree in a field which demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work of the position, such as: computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
GS-12 Minimum Qualifications
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience which includes providing cyber response services to an organization; assisting in the development of defensive countermeasures or threat/vulnerability analysis OR mitigating/remediating new and emerging threats to the network; presenting finalized reports and action items to management for approval; providing direct cyber security customer support. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-11).
GS-13 Minimum Qualifications
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience which includes providing cyber response services to an organization; directing the collection of data to determine security compliance of network or host machines; conducting threat/vulnerability analysis OR mitigating/remediating new and emerging threats to the network; and presenting finalized reports and action items to management for approval. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-12).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job at the GS-12 and GS-13 level, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
Individuals utilizing experience to qualify for this position must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below:
1. Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
2. Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
3. Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
4. Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendation.
Superior Academic Achievement is based on:
(1) Class Standing - Applicants must be in the upper third of the graduating class in the college, university, or major subdivision, such as the College of Liberal Arts or the School of Business Administration, based on completed courses; OR (2) Grade-Point Average (G.P.A.) - Applicants must have a grade-point average of either (a) 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B" or better) as recorded on your official transcript, or as computed based on 4 years of education, or as computed based on courses completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum; or (b) 3.5 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B+" or better) based on the average of the required courses completed in the major field or the required courses in the major field completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum.; OR (3) Honor Society Membership - Applicants may be considered eligible based on membership in one of the approved national scholastic honor societies listed by the Association of College Honor Societies (https://www.achsnatl.org/).
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
- The duties of this position may meet the criteria for compliance with Federal and Department of the Army Drug Free Workplace Programs. Detection of the presence of drugs may be warranted. This position may be subject to a pre-employment screening, and random testing thereafter, to include testing based on reasonable suspicion and testing due to direct involvement with an on-duty accident.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- This position may require you to submit a Public Financial Disclosure Report (OGE 278) or a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report (OGE450) upon entry, and annually thereafter.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 34 Information Technology/Cyber Management position.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria; (2) be rated well-qualified for the position; and, (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
- Recruitment or relocation incentives MAY be authorized for highly qualified candidates.
- Student Loan Repayment MAY be authorized for highly qualified candidates.
- Service credit for annual leave accrual may be granted for certain non-Federal work experience and experience in the uniformed service.
- Federal employees in Fort Shafter, Schofield Barracks, and Wheeler Army Airfield, Hawaii are currently entitled to receive a 10.99% Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) in addition to the base salary. This is subject to change.
- Federal employees in Hawaii Island, Hawaii are currently entitled to receive a 5.08% Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) in addition to the base salary. This is subject to change.
- Federal employees in Guam are currently entitled to receive a 13.01% Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) in addition to the base salary. This is subject to change.
- Federal employees in Alaska are currently entitled to receive a 3.74% Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) in addition to the base salary. This is subject to change.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Background checks and security clearance
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External).
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as incomplete and you will not receive consideration for this position.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
- This position has an individual occupational requirement and/or allows for substitution of education for experience. If you meet this requirement based on education you MUST submit a copy of your transcript with your application package or you will be rated ineligible. See: Transcripts and Licenses
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section above.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 12/31/2018 to receive consideration
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application (https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10172170).
- Follow the prompts to select your résumé and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
- It is your responsibility to verify that your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) is complete, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
- Additional information on how to complete the online application process and submit your online application may be found on the USA Staffing Applicant Resource Center.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
Agency contact information
Army Applicant Help Desk
DO NOT MAIL
Fort Huachuca, AZ 85613
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/494906700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.