This position is in the Department of Transportation (DOT), and located in the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Transportation Policy, Office of Policy Development, Strategic Planning and Performance, Environment Team. You will serve as senior Environmental Data Analyst with responsible for analyzing, collecting, and maintaining data related to environmental review and permitting of transportation and other infrastructure projects. You will apply mathematical and statistical (including modeling and simulation) and econometric methods and techniques utilizing relational database management system (RDBMS), data visualization, Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and other scientific methods and techniques in a cloud computing environment; examining and extracting Big Data sets from a variety of environmental resources and documents involving project delivery, risk assessment, air quality conformity, climate mitigation, energy and environment, livability and quality of life, equity and economic growth, historic preservation, and bicycle and pedestrian transportation issues and problems that include simulation and modeling; and providing evidence for making management, financial and program/project decisions.Learn more about this agency
Ideal candidate: OST is looking for a seasoned, motivated and self-reliant professional who can share their expertise in applying advanced statistical, mathematical, econometrics methods and techniques to environmental data collection and analysis utilizing relational database management systems and visualization data tools and techniques. This position is in the DOT building, which sits directly across the street from the Metro and a few blocks away from the National’s Baseball stadium. OST has flexible work schedules (to include Telework) and flexible health benefits.
Position is under the CBA, AFGE Local 3313
PLEASE NOTE: This vacancy may be used to fill similar positions within 60 days for this location.
As a Social Scientist (Environmental Data Analyst), you will:
- Collect, analyze, and prepare significant amounts of Big Data pertaining to environmental permitting, project delivery, risk assessment, air quality conformity, climate mitigation, energy and environment, etc.
- Define the context of environmental data sets; identifies underlying relationships in the problem; apply knowledge or adaptation to develop a model of the problem; analyze results of the model; develop new models to better describe the problem; validate the methods and assumptions; analyze findings; evaluate alternatives; and test the validity of the results using relational databases, GIS, data visualization, and other Internet Applications tools in a cloud computing environment.
- Analyze the graphic visualization of data sets provided by various industries and public entities, including environmental, transportation, urban and community planning.
- Conduct environmental risk assessments and provides correction action plans using environmental databases.
- Produce working models from data analyzation for application into real world scenarios. Prepare written reports and articles, including graphs, maps and drawings and presents to management, stakeholders and/or other federal, state government agencies. Prepare for a variety of environmental data collection topics and makes recommendations to support decision-makers based on the analyzation of environmental data.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Applications will be accepted from any U.S. Citizen.
Current/former eligible employees and VEOA eligible veterans are encouraged to also apply to: OST.P-2018-0003.
Questions? This job is open to 2 groups.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- You must meet specialized experience to qualify.
- Submit application and resume online by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date
- Provide all required documents by closing date
- Announcement also advertised Merit Promotion: OST.P-2018-0003
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for the Selective Service.
- DEU REQUIREMENTS: Applicants selected under delegated examining procedures may be required to successfully complete a one-year probationary period (unless already completed).
QualificationsTo meet the minimum qualifications for this position, you must meet either the education or specialized experience.
TO QUALIFY FOR THE GS-11 on Education for research position, you must have:
Master's or equivalent graduate degree 1 year equivalent to at least GS-9
FOR THE GS-11, to qualify, you must have at least one year of specialized experience equal or equivalent to the GS-09, it must include:
- Experience applying mathematical models and statistical theories, techniques, and methods to analyze and simulate environmental data or problems using database software and Internet Applications tools.
Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree 1 year equivalent to at least GS-11
FOR THE GS-12, to qualify, you must have at least one year of specialized experience equal or equivalent to the GS-11, it must include:
- Experience collecting and analyzing environmental data utilizing relational database management systems AND applying advanced statistical (e.g., “R” statistical packages, Statnet, SPSS, Statgraphics, etc.), mathematical, econometrics methods and techniques; AND making use of visualization data tools and techniques and/or GIS (Geographic Information Systems) spatial data analysis to present findings in graphs, maps, plots, charts, tables, etc., AND prepare written recommendations for use by decision makers and their staff as a regular and recurring part of your employment with minimal supervision.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
For additional information about applying to Federal positions, please click on the following link: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-policies/#url=e4
Students enrolled in a qualifying degree program can apply if the anticipated graduation date is within six months of closing date of the announcement. Graduation transcript must be received before start date.
Other applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
Degree: behavioral or social science; or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
Combination of education and experience that provided the applicant with knowledge of one or more of the behavioral or social sciences equivalent to a major in the field.
Four years of appropriate experience that demonstrated that the applicant has acquired knowledge of one or more of the behavioral or social sciences equivalent to a major in the field.
Displaced employees may be eligible for ICTAP or CTAP priority consideration. For more information, please review the OPM Employee's Guide to Career Transition.
The Department of Transportation (DOT) maintains a model federal work environment that is free of discrimination. DOT ensures equal employment opportunity for employees and applicants for employment, regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), genetic information, age, disability, sexual orientation, or protected activity.
How You Will Be Evaluated
DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE: PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. If your resume/ application does not support your questionnaire answers, we will not allow credit for your response(s). Your resume must contain sufficiently detailed information upon which to make a qualification determination. Please ensure that your resume contains specific information such as position titles, beginning and ending dates of employment for each position, average number of hours worked per week, and if the position is/was in the Federal government, you should provide the position series and grade level.
If you meet the qualification requirements, your application will be placed in one of four categories: Platinum, Gold, Silver or Bronze, which is based upon your responses to the vacancy questions. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veteran's preference that have provided supporting documents will receive selection priority over non-veterans. The top rated applications will be reviewed for the quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. If your resume does not support the specialized experience or if your application does not support your answers to the Vacancy Specific Questions, your final rating may be modified and/or you may be disqualified from consideration.
Your application will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. The answers you select in the on-line process must be substantiated in your application package. If upon review, it is determined that your described work history, competencies, and/or supporting documents do not support your answer choices, your application may be updated or you may not be referred to the selecting official. Please ensure that your work history provides enough details to support your answers. The Automated Staffing Office is ultimately responsible for determining your final rating.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
ALL Applicants must provide a resume that fully supports the required specialized experience and was created within USA Jobs Resume Builder and respond to the vacancy questions by the closing date of the vacancy.
The following is a list of documents that are only required based on the type of position and consideration for which you are applying.
TRANSCRIPTS:(For the GS-11) If you are SUBSTITUTING EDUCATION FOR EXPERIENCE, you must submit a copy of your college transcript.
TRANSCRIPTS - Verifying that you meet the stated education requirements for the series OR an SF-50 showing that you have already qualified and worked in the federal service in this series.
VETERANS: Your last DD214, Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty, that shows the type of discharge and all dates of active duty is required to verify your eligibility. It need not be official.
- If you are applying to a vacancy opened to all US Citizens under category rating and wish to be considered as a preference eligible, you need to submit a copy of your DD214.
- If you are claiming preference eligibility as a disabled veteran, you must submit proof of entitlement of this preference which is normally a valid letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs certifying to the present existence of the service-connected disability and indicating the percentage of your disability. An SF-15 is desired, but not required.
- If you are applying to a vacancy opened Status and you are requesting consideration under Veteran's Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) (https://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/shav/#veoa), you need to provide a copy of your last DD214, which verifies your military service dates, reason for separation, OR certification of separation that shows a discharge date within 120 days of the closing of this announcement, and eligibility for consideration under the Veterans Employment Opportunity Act.
DISPLACED EMPLOYEES: If requesting consideration under the Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or Interagency CTAP program (ICTAP), you must meet the well qualified standards for this vacancy (meeting minimum requirements for position and scoring at least an 85 or falling in the Gold Category) and provide all of the following documents:
- your most recent performance appraisal,
- the proof of eligibility letter from the Agency, and
- your most current SF-50, displaying current series and grade.
Failure to submit any of the required documents by the closing date of the vacancy will result in your removal from consideration for this position. Please review your application prior to final submission and ensure you have submitted all appropriate documents. Uploading documents to USAJobs does NOT ensure inclusion with your application to our system. You must verify that the documents are in the system with your application prior to final submission.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
You must submit a complete application package (including resume, vacancy questions and supporting documents) no later than midnight Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement.
- To begin, click the "Apply Online" button on the job announcement posting.
- Follow the directions to register, submit all required documents and complete the assessment questionnaire.
- You may review your saved application(s) at https://my.usajobs.gov.
Agency contact information
Automated Staffing Office
AddressDOT, OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY
Submit Application and Documents Online
1200 New Jersey Ave SE / HAHR - 50
Washington, District of Columbia 20590
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Office of the Secretary of Transportation, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
You may check your application status into by logging into your USAJOBS account. Within two weeks of the closing date, your application will be reviewed and rated. Ratings will be determined based on the documents and information received by the closing date. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration. If you are selected for an interview, the hiring manager will contact you directly. Once a hiring decision is made, we will notify all applicants of their final status.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/493241000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.