Conducts detailed and complex forensic document analyses utilizing appropriate scientific methodologies, forensicLearn more about this agency
techniques, and quality assurance practices in support of criminal and administrative investigations.
- Conducts complex and sensitive forensic document examinations through the application of scientific practices for the recognition, collection, analysis, and interpretation of physical evidence for criminal and civil law or regulatory purposes utilizing the most appropriate scientific methodologies and forensic and instrumental techniques.
- Exercises independent discretion and judgment to render conclusions, form opinions and produce reports based on the examination and analysis of evidence and interpretation of scientific observations and data.
- Provides interpretations, conclusions and opinions through expert witness testimony; produces comprehensive reports and illustrative exhibits for federal, state, and local judicial proceedings at a level sufficient to explain evidence interpretation and conclusions from forensic examinations and scientific data to a lay audience.
- Serves as a subject matter expert and technical advisor in matters relating to the proper collection, preservation, packaging, and submission of criminal evidence; participates in crime scene evidence collection activities in major field investigations; ensures evidence handling requirements are met.
- Assists with ongoing evaluation and validation of laboratory instrumentation and methods, operating protocols, and safety practices; maintains awareness of safety procedures and identifies possible physical conditions and/or laboratory procedures that may create unsafe conditions.
- Assists with planning and delivery of laboratory services, evidence collection, and field examination training.
- Designs, develops, and conducts studies and research for improving forensic analyses, scientific methods, and criminal identification procedures.
- Acts as liaison with postal management and federal, state, and local representatives on technical developments, forensic methods, and investigative problems of common interest.
- Participates in professional associations; maintains technical resource documentation.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
Assistant Laboratory Director
The United States Postal Service has the following excellent and challenging employment opportunity for highly motivated and innovative individuals. Successful candidates must demonstrate through a combination of education, training, and experience the following requirements:
- Knowledge of forensic science techniques, laboratory protocols, scientific methodologies, and forensic document examination procedures sufficient to conduct detailed and complex analyses and interpret the value of evidentiary items.
- Knowledge of evidence collection, preservation, packaging and shipment procedures sufficient to serve as a technical advisor in such matters, and to ensure evidence handling requirements are met.
- Ability to conduct research and prepare technical papers for publication and presentation at professional meetings.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing in order to prepare reports of examination results and conclusions, and provide testimony as an expert witness before state, federal or other judicial bodies.
- Ability to provide training related to laboratory services, evidence collection, and field examination.
- Skill in the use of microscopes and optical enhancement instruments.
- EDUCATION REQUIREMENT Bachelor's degree in physical or biological sciences, life sciences, chemistry or a closely related field from a college or university accredited by a national or regional accreditation organization recognized and sanctioned by the U.S. Department of Education.
- DESIRABLE CERTIFICATION: Certification by the American Board of Forensic Document Examiners.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
BENEFIT INFORMATION: The salary will be based on previous experience, salary history, and current postal pay policies.
We offer excellent benefits including health and life insurance, retirement plan, savings/investment plan with employer
contribution, flexible spending, flextime scheduling of core work hours, annual and sick leave.
F & TSD Laboratory
22433 Randolph Dr
Dulles, VA 20104-1000
How You Will Be Evaluated
SPECIAL CONDITIONS: Willingness to submit to a Tier 2 Moderate Background Investigation (MBI). This investigation
requires, among other things, completion of a questionnaire and fingerprinting for a criminal records check. The investigation may require a drug test. The successful applicant will be required to meet and maintain the requirements of this level of background investigation while holding this position.
Qualified applicants must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screening to meet the U.S. Postal Service's requirement to be drug free. Applicants must also be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident alien status.
Background checks and security clearance
Please read the "How To Apply" section.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m., Central Time, of the posting's closing date. Applicants claiming veterans'
preference must attach a copy of member copy 4 (only) of Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214) or other proof of eligibility if claiming 10-point veterans' preference. The United States Postal Service (USPS) is an equal opportunity employer. The USPS provides reasonable accommodation for any part of the application, interview, and/or selection process, please make your request to the examiner, selecting official or local manager of Human Resources. This request can also be made by someone on your behalf. Explain the nature of your limitations and the accommodation needed. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
SPECIAL NOTE: Current career Postal Service employees are ineligible to apply to this posting.
Agency contact information
AddressUS Postal Service
United States Postal Service
475 L'Enfant Plaza SW
Washington, DC 20260
Please read the "How You Will Be Evaluated" section.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/491911000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.