Your enrollment in the VA Nursing Academic Partnership (VANAP) is REQUIRED for consideration to receive this scholarship. Check with your University to determine if you are eligible.Learn more about this agency
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise - "To care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
The purpose of this program is to provide financial assistance to individuals pursuing a program of study leading to a Bachelors or Masters in Nursing degree. This program will help alleviate the health care workforce shortages in VA by obligating scholarship recipients to complete a minimum 2-year service obligation at a VA health care facility after graduation and licensure/certification.
The Scholarship awards provide for the payment of a monthly stipend, tuition, required fees, and other reasonable educational expenses, including books and necessary equipment. The benefits are exempt from Federal taxation.
Awards of scholarships under the HPSP are subject to the availability of funds, and VA may award a full-time student a scholarship for a maximum of 4 years.
VA may also award a part-time student a scholarship for a maximum of 6 years.
After completion of their education, participants must serve as a full-time clinical VA employee for a minimum of two years in nursing services with direct patient care of the participant's discipline in an assignment or location determined by VA while participating in the HPSP. This obligated service would begin on the date on which the participant obtains any required applicable credentials and when appointed as a full-time clinical VA employee in a position for which the degree prepared the participant.
Other terms and conditions apply. For more information on this program, please visit VA Careers at http://www.vacareers.va.gov
- It is your responsibility to ensure all required documentation is submitted. Failure to submit all required documentation will result in not being considered.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
Your enrollment in the VA Nursing Academic Partnership (VANAP) is required for consideration to receive this scholarship.
- Qualifications Students unconditionally accepted for enrollment or currently enrolled in a program of study leading to a Bachelors or Masters Degree in Nursing an accredited educational institution that is in the United States.
- A cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale in your current program of study. Provide unofficial transcripts to your application that support your response.
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement). Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html. All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
- United States Citizenship
- Applicants with graduation dates before the Summer of 2019 will be considered first. Other applicants will be considered based upon available funding.
- Enrollment in the VA Nursing Academic Partnership (VANAP) is required for consideration to receive this scholarship. Check with your University to determine if you are eligible.
- No previous breaches (broken an agreement with) of any federally sponsored scholarship program
- Not delinquent on payment of a federal debt, This includes delinquent taxes, audit disallowances, guaranteed or direct student loans, Federal Housing Administration (FHA) or VA mortgages, and other miscellaneous administrative debts Delinquent a defined as 31 days past due on a scheduled payment
- Not previously applied for or received waivers of financial obligation for any federally sponsored scholarship program.
- No currently owed obligation to any other entity to perform service after you complete the course of study for this scholarship program
- Agree to relocate, at your own expense if needed, to complete the required full time VA employment service obligation after graduation and required licensure/certification
How You Will Be Evaluated
Veterans will be considered first among all equally qualified candidates.
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) we will review applications to ensure requirements are met.
Background checks and security clearance
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Declaration for Federal Employment (OF 306) https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf
- Application- (VA Form 10-0491G) https://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-0491g-fill.pdf
- Academic Verification- (VA Form 10-0491) https://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-0491-fill.pdf
- Evaluations and Recommendations- (VA Form 10-0941E) https://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-0491e-fill.pdf
Not submitting all of the required documents will result in non-consideration.
Veterans' Preference: Eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), 10pt (CP/CPS/XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP) in the questionnaire. You must provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) which shows dates and character of service (honorable, general, etc.). If you are currently serving on active duty and expect to be released or discharged within 120 days you must submit documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), and dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veteran Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. Documentation is required to award preference. For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
How to Apply
All applicants are encouraged to apply online. To apply for this scholarship, you must complete the questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 05/01/2018 to receive consideration. To preview the questionnaire, click https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10141645.
- To begin, click "Apply Online" and create a USA JOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USA JOBS resume and other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
- Click "Submit My Answers" to submit your application package.
Agency contact information
VHA Nationwide Recruitment
AddressVHA Servicing Human Resources Office
2402 Wildwood Ave Suite 301
Sherwood, AR 72120
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is providing scholarship opportunities for U.S. citizens seeking degrees in Nursing. Your enrollment in the VA Nursing Academic Partnership (VANAP) is required for consideration to receive this scholarship. Check with your University to determine if you are eligible.
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. After the review is complete, applicants will be notified of their status by email.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/491519400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.