Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.Learn more about this agency
About the Position:
This position is located with the McAlester Army Ammunition Plant (MCAAP), Directorate of Engineering and Public Works in McAlester, OK. MCAAP was originally commissioned as the Naval Ammunition Depot McAlester on May 20, 1943 and began its first production in September 1943. In October 1977, the naval facility was transferred to the Army under the Single Manager for Conventional Ammunition Act. MCAAP is a government-owned/government-operated facility. Our operating hours are from 6:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday. We are closed on federal holidays. The mission of MCAAP is to produce and renovate quality conventional missile ammunition and ammunition-related components, perform engineering and product assurance in support of production, and receive, store, ship, demilitarize and dispose of conventional and missile ammunition and related items.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
- Operate several types of self-propelled railroad maintenance vehicles to perform railway maintenance and repair, such as tamping and aligning track, removing and inserting ties, regulating ballast, replacing rail sections, and super elevating curved track on grades.
- Operate various railroad maintenance equipment, such as tie tamper, tie inserter, railroad track liner, on and off track railway crane, mobile spiking machine, ballast regulator, and spike puller.
- Perform daily maintenance of railroad equipment.
- Inspect railroad track for defects.
50% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…US Citizens
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Relocation (Government Home Sale) Expenses are NOT Authorized.
- Permanent Change of Station (PCS) Expenses are NOT Authorized.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Appointment is subject to the completion of a favorable suitability.
- This position requires pre-employment and annual physicals.
- This position requires business travel 30% of the time including OCONUS locations.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- This position requires you obtain a valid Class A CDL driver's license within 6 months of employment. Are you willing to obtain a Class A CDL driver's license within 6 months of employment?
- This position requires you to complete the Railroad Safety Course within 30 days of being appointed to this position and attend annual Railroad Safety refresher course.
QualificationsExperience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
There is no specific length of training or experience required. However, you must be able to demonstrate, through experience shown in your written application materials that you possess the sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the work of this position without more than normal supervision.
Minimum Qualifications (Screen Out Element): Ability to do the work of an Railroad Maintenance Vehicle Operator~ without more than normal supervision. Must possess the ability to operate the utility controls of flanged wheel railroad repair equipment. Must have knowledge of performing railroad maintenance such as rail alignment on straight and curved sections of track; tie replacement, spacing and spiking; and ballast maintenance. Must be skilled in operating rail or track liner vehicles, mobile spike driving and tie pulling equipment or ballast regulators. Must be able performed basic operator's maintenance on the equipment being used. - Failure to meet this Screen out Element will result in an ineligible rating.
- Ability To Do The Work Of The Position Without More Than Normal Supervision
- Ability to Drive Safely (Motor Vehicles)
- Ability to Interpret Instructions, Specification, etc. (other than blueprints)
- Ability To Operate Safely (Non-Motor Vehicle)
- Work Practices (includes keeping things neat, clean and in order)
Physical Effort: Moderate to heavy physical exertion is required in operating machines and tools used on track maintenance and in loading and unloading ties, switch parts, etc. Operators also typically lift and move heavy items weighing 80 pounds and more. All lifts over 50 pounds will be assisted with a two person lift or using a mechanical handling equipment lifting device. The two person lift limit is 100 pounds and will only be used for single event, non-routine lifts.
Working Conditions: There is danger of bruises and more severe injury from operating hand tools and handling heavy materials. There is danger of falls from motor cars and danger from work operations of others such as the crane operator. There is danger of collision with trains and vehicles.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- You may claim military spouse preference.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 24 position.
- This is a Term position not to exceed one year and one day.
- This position is temporary and may be extended up to a maximum of six years.
- This position has provisions that may be made permanent without further competition. To be eligible for conversion to a permanent career-conditional or career appointment, you must have completed at least two years of current continuous service under a term appointment in the competitive service AND demonstrate successful job performance.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria; (2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 90 or above; and, (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
Background checks and security clearance
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External).
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
- Your resume may be submitted in any format.
- If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent." It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application will be marked as incomplete and you will not receive consideration for this position.
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person's personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 02/15/2018 to receive consideration
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire (https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10127152).
- Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
- It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
- To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
- It is your responsibility to verify that your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) is complete, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
The Department of Army provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the servicing civilian personnel unit. Your requests for reasonable accommodation will be addressed on a case-by-case basis.
Agency contact information
Army Applicant Help Desk
AddressBT-APF-W390AA MCALESTER ARMY AMMUNITION PLANT
DO NOT MAIL
McAlester, OK 74501
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "incomplete application" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/490260500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.