This position is located in the Division of Depositor and Consumer Protection, Headquarters of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation and provides support in the areas of conducting, presenting and publishing empirical studies of banking and finanical services programs, regulatory measures, and of depositor and consumer experiences, capabilities, knowledge, and preferences.Learn more about this agency
Additional selections may be made from this vacancy announcement to fill identical vacancies that occur subsequent to this announcement.
- Develop expertise in topics relating to consumer financial decision-making and consumer financial products markets, including issues affecting depositor and consumer protection, community development and economic inclusion.
- Participate in conducting sophisticated rigorous econometric studies for use by the Corporation in studying possible changes in regulatory measures and resource allocations for supervision activities. Study topics may include banking and financial services programs, regulatory measures, depositor and consumer experiences, capabilities, knowledge and preferences, and the availability, cost, and nature of consumer credit, financial services, and community development activities.
- Conduct continuous critical reviews of research literature, banking and financial developments, and related matters to keep abreast of current development in those areas as they relate to depositor and consumer protection, community development and economic inclusion.
- Provide assistance to other FDIC research staff and provide general consulting and research support to help the Corporation accomplish mission critical functions, including support of the Corporation’s fair lending and other examination functions.
- Participate in the dissemination of original research findings through FDIC-sponsored and external peer-reviewed publications and presentations at internal and external events such as competitive conferences.
- Assist in the preparation, planning, coordination, and execution of research-related FDIC publications and special events.
Occasional travel - Occasional overnight travel may be required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…All United States Citizens.
(Applicants with status or those eligible under special hiring authorities, should apply under FDIC merit promotion announcement 2017-HQ-B1149. However, if you desire consideration also under this public non-status announcement, you must apply to both. Status applicants are current permanent Federal employees in the competitive service and former Federal employees with reinstatement eligibility.)
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Transcripts Required (unofficial transcripts acceptable)
QualificationsQualifying experience may be obtained in the Private or public sector. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic, religious/spiritual; community; student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Additional qualifications information can be found here click here.
1. Basic Requirements:
A. Degree: economics, that included at least 21 semester hours in economics and 3 semester hours in statistics, accounting, or calculus.
B. Combination of education and experience: courses equivalent to a major in economics, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
YOU MUST PROVIDE ALL TRANSCRIPT(S) (unofficial copy is acceptable)
RESUME MUST INCLUDE MONTH/DATE/YEAR OF DEGREE EARNED
2. ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENT: In addition to meeting the Basic Requirement, applicants must meet the defined qualification requirements listed below:
CG-12: Applicant must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the grade 11 level in the Federal Service. Specialized experience includes experience performing each of the following: (1) conducting research on consumer finance topics that involve specifying and estimating econometric models; (2) communicating econometric models and findings.
EDUCATION: Education may be substituted for experience in qualifying for this position. If qualifying based on education, applicant must possess a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree Applications will be accepted from applicants who expect to complete their Ph.D. by October 12, 2018.
Combination of education and experience: A combination of graduate level education, and specialized experience as described above, that together meet the qualification requirements for this position.
Candidates who are selected for the position based on education, must provide documentation of completing all requirements for a Ph. D or equivalent doctoral degree prior to entering on duty.
3. MANDATORY SELECTIVE PLACEMENT FACTOR: In addition, this position has a Selective Placement Factor. You must meet and specifically address this SELECTIVE FACTOR to be considered for this position.
Candidates must have used advanced econometric techniques (including at least one of the following: instrumental variables, difference-in-differences, regression discontinuity, or related identification approaches, or structural identification, panel, time series, limited dependent variable, semi-parametric, nonparametric, or Bayesian methods) as part of a research study and was actively involved in its implementation. Furthermore, the research study in question empirically tested or developed or applied an economic or financial model or theory.
Applicants eligible for ICTAP (Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program) must achieve a score of 80 or higher in the online assessment to be determined "well qualified" for this position. For more information, click here.
To read about your rights and responsibilities as an applicant for Federal employment, click here.
If selected, you may be required to serve a probationary period.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Your resume and the online assessment questionnaire will be reviewed to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements outlined in this announcement. Therefore, it is imperative that your resume contain sufficiently detailed information upon which to make the qualification.
Your resume will also be evaluated to measure your responses to the assessment questions. If you rated yourself higher on the questionnaire than what is supported by your resume, your overall qualifications assessment may be adversely affected.
If you are found qualified, you will be placed in one of three categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified, or Qualified. These category assignments are a measure of the degree in which your background and responses to the assessment questions match the competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) listed below. Within these categories, candidates eligible for veterans' preference will receive selection priority over non-veterans.
- Knowledge of the variety of econometric methods and economic models appropriate for studying consumer financial decision-making, consumer financial product markets, and issues related to depositor and consumer protection, economic inclusion and community development.
- Ability to identify research questions and, with moderate supervision, formulate and conduct rigorous empirical studies to answer those questions, with conclusions that are supported by the findings.
- Ability to write code to estimate econometric models using standard statistical packages such as SAS, Stata, Matlab, or R.
- Ability to conduct research using econometric methods and economic models that are applicable to conducting empirical research on consumer financial decision-making, consumer financial product markets, and issues related to depositor and consumer protection, economic inclusion and community development.
- Ability to communicate in writing on methodological and empirical aspects of studies to a wide variety of audiences.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Please review the following to determine your eligibility and which document(s) is required to complete your application:
VETERANS' PREFERENCE: If you are claiming veterans' preference, click here. (Note: Veterans must submit the Member 4 copy of the DD 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty - or other copy showing the type of discharge/character of service [e.g., Honorable, Under Honorable Conditions, etc.] along with any other required documents.)
INTERAGENCY TRANSITION ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (ICTAP): If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee eligible for consideration under the ICTAP, you must submit proof of eligibility. For more information,click here.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
You MUST submit a copy of your transcript if you want to substitute your education for experience. If you claim qualifications based on education, and do not submit a transcript, your education will not be used in making a qualification determination and you may be found "not qualified".
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To begin, click the "Apply" button and follow the prompts. If you haven't already, register and establish a USAJOBS account. After you register online, click the "Apply" button to complete the online assessment questionnaire, and submit all required documents. Please be sure to click "Submit Application" to complete the application process.
You must apply online. Applicants requesting an exception from the online process must contact the Human Resources Specialist or contact point listed in this announcement prior to 12:00 noon local time on the closing date.
To return to your saved application, log in to your USAJOBS
account and click on "Applications" tab. Click on the "Position Title," and then select "Update Application" or "Additional Application Information" to continue.
You have until 11:59 p.m. EST (Eastern Standard Time) on the closing date of this announcement to complete the application process.
Please ensure you have completed the application process by verifying the status of your application on-line to reflect: "Received". Failure to complete the application process will result in an incomplete application and you will not be considered for the position.
Agency contact information
Human Resources Service Center
3501 Fairfax Drive
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
You may check the status of your application on-line 24 hours a day, 7 days a week through USAJOBS by signing in and selecting "Application Status." Thank you for your interest in working for the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a Case-by-Case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/487489500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.