It is anticipated that there will be significant interest in the announcement. As a result, the announcement will close at 11:59 p.m. ET on the date of receipt of the 200th application or at 11:59 p.m. ET on DATE OF CLOSURE; whichever occurs first. Any required documents should be submitted at the time that you apply as documents will not be accepted after the vacancy closes.Learn more about this agency
OIG is organized into three line elements: the Offices of Investigations, Audits and Evaluations, and Healthcare Inspections; along with the Office of Contract Review and the Office of Management and Administration. In addition to the Washington, DC, headquarters, OIG has offices located in more than 30 cities throughout the country.
The Supervisory IT Specialist (INFOSEC), located in the Office of Audits and Evaluations, is responsible for planning and conducting IT and security audits. The incumbent is also responsible for assisting the Division Director in managing the administrative activities of the division, and supervising a staff of auditors, management analysts, and support personnel.
As a Supervisory IT Specialist (INFOSEC), you will:
-Manage and direct a broad range of performance audits in the area of IT and security, requiring integrated analysis of a number of different information systems, as well as management programs, processes, operations, and functions of VA through a subordinate staff of auditors and analysts.
-Recommend areas to be covered and plan efforts in different locations and at different organizational management levels, develop new approaches where no precedent exists and work with highly interpretive laws and regulations, and target areas of highly controversial problems.
- Develop and design program plans and innovative approaches where no precedents exist and/or developing creative solutions to controversial problems; directing teams; structuring assignments; reacting to unexpected complex developments during the execution phase of the performance audit, evaluation, inspection, or review, which may require modifications to the program plan; drafting persuasive and concise reports and briefing materials; and determining the completeness and sufficiency of the work papers and related evidence developed by the staff members.
- Ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of IT systems, networks, and data through the planning, analysis, development, implementation, maintenance, and enhancement of information systems security programs, policies, procedures, and tools.
25% or less - Travel nationwide under tight deadlines. The incumbent should anticipate frequent walking and standing as a component of this travel.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…U.S. citizens or U.S. Nationals; no prior Federal experience is required.
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Please refer to "Conditions of Employment."
- Click "Print Preview" to review the entire announcement before applying.
The experience may have been gained in either the public, private sector or volunteer service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/day/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week on your résumé.
QualificationsYou must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
Specialized Experience: One year of experience at the GS-13 level, or equivalent, that has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of this position which include:
- Applying IT principles, concepts, standards and practices in order to develop new concepts, principles, standards and methods in program management for applicable computer system(s); AND
- Experience utilizing computer search and retrieval procedures to identify, summarize and analyze statistical data and to produce trend analysis and statistical reports in a variety of formats for use by management; AND
– Applying IT security concepts, standards and methods, including information systems security protocols and regulations.
In addition to meeting specialized experience, applicants must also show proficiency in 1) attention to detail, 2) customer service, 3) oral communication, and 4) problem solving.
- This is a Direct Hire Authority announcement; selections may be made from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- This is a non-bargaining unit position.
- We offer opportunities for flexible work schedules.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- A one year probationary period may be required.
- A one year supervisory probationary period may be required.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation.
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency.
- Obtain and use a Government-issued purchase card for business-related travel.
- File a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report within 30 days of appointment and annually from then on.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Your application includes your résumé, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your résumé includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a “not qualified” determination.
Rating: Your application will be evaluated in the following areas: Technical, Analytical, Systems and Technology and Communication. This announcement is issued under "direct-hire" authority. Consistent with 5 U.S.C 3304(a)(3) and OPM regulations (5 CFR 337 Subpart B) on direct-hire: All candidates who meet all the qualification and other eligibility requirements may be referred for consideration. Competitive examining rules providing for rating and ranking, category rating, and veterans' preference do not apply. We will evaluate your application by comparing your description of your work experience, level of responsibility, and accomplishments, with the requirements of the position to determine whether you meet all the qualification requirements.
If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)) you must be rated as well qualified to receive special selection priority. "Well-qualified" means that in addition to meeting all the basic qualification and eligibility requirements, you possess knowledge, skills, and abilities which clearly exceed the minimum qualification requirements for this position, and you would be able to satisfactorily perform the duties of this position upon entry.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
A complete application includes 1. A résumé, 2. Vacancy question responses, and 3. Submission of any required documents. Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you may not be considered for this position (or may not receive the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
All applicants are required to submit a résumé either by creating one in USAJOBS or uploading one of their own choosing. (Cover letters are optional.) To receive full credit for relevant experience, please list the month/date/year and number of hours worked for experience listed on your résumé. We suggest that you preview the online questions, as you may need to customize your résumé to ensure that it supports your responses to these questions. Please view résumé tips.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE DOCUMENTATION: Veteran's preference does not apply to announcements posted under Direct Hire Authority; however, you are encouraged to provide your documentation. Please see applicant guide for required documentation.
CAREER TRANSITION ASSISTANCE PLAN (CTAP) OR INTERAGENCY CAREER TRANSITION ASSISTANCE PLAN (ICTAP) DOCUMENTATION: If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee, click CTAP/ICTAP for eligibility and a detailed list of required documents.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
VAOIG has partnered with the Treasury's Bureau of the Fiscal Service to provide certain personnel services to its organization. Fiscal Service's responsibilities include advertising vacancies, accepting and handling applications, and extending job offers.
The following instructions outline our application process. You must complete this application process and submit any required documents by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on the closing date of this announcement. We are available to assist you during business hours (normally 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. ET, Monday - Friday). If applying online poses a hardship, please contact us by noon ET on the announcement's closing date.
VAOIG provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. Please contact us if you require this for any part of the application and hiring process.
To begin, either click the “Create a New Account” button and follow the prompts to register or if you previously registered, click the "Apply Online" button and follow the prompts.
You will be re-directed to VAOIG's CareerConnector system to complete your application process; answer the online questions, and submit all required documents. (To submit supporting documents, click one of the available options; Upload; Fax; or Reuse existing documents. To protect your privacy, we suggest you first remove your SSN). Also, go to “My Account” to view and update your information, as necessary.
To complete, you must click the “Finish” button located at the bottom of the “Application Review” page.
To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application.
To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
If you are experiencing system issues with your application, please contact the CareerConnector Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and/or the USAJOBS Help Desk.
Agency contact information
Applicant Call Center
AddressVETERANS AFFAIRS OIG
See "How to Apply"
Parkersburg, West Virginia 26106
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Veterans Affairs, Inspector General, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
To check the status of your application for this position, please follow these steps:
- Login to your USAJOBS account, select the "Applications" section and click on the vacancy you would like to view and have already applied for.
- Under "application status," click "additional application information" and you will be taken to the CareerConnector website where you can check your application status. The "additional application information" link may not be available if your application status says "Unavailable." This indicates that your application is not complete.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/487278500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.