The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win...in air, space and cyberspace.Learn more about this agency
To achieve that mission, the Air Force has a vision of Global Vigilance, Reach and Power. That vision orbits around three core competencies: Developing Airmen, Technology-to-Warfighting and Integrating Operations. Core competencies and distinctive capabilities are based on a shared commitment to three core values -- integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do.
Click here to view the AF Civilian Employment Eligibility Guide:
Internal Employees (Air Force Employee - Current Permanent Competitive Service Career/Career-Conditional Employee and Current Permanent AF DCIPS Employees with Reinstatement Rights to the Competitive Service)
DoD Transfer - Army, Navy, DFAS, etc. (Excluding Air Force)
Former Federal Employees (Reinstatement)
Military Spouses - Appointment of Certain Military Spouse (EO 13473)
Schedule A - Individual with Disabilities - click here for additional information
Former Overseas Employees (EO 12721)
ICTAP (Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program)
Non-DoD Transfer (OPM, VA, Dept of Labor, etc.)
Federal Employees with Other Appointment Eligibilities (TSA, FAA, Postal, etc.)
VEOA (Veterans Employment Opportunity Act)
VRA (Veterans' Recruitment Appointment)
30% Disabled Veterans
You MUST have one or more listed eligibilities to be considered. Eligibility claims must be supported with required documentation submitted with each application package to be considered. "Transfer" and "Reinstatement" eligibles must provide their most current SF-50 and the SF-50 reflecting the highest grade held if not reflected on most current/separation SF-50. *Air Force is not responsible for erroneous eligibilities you list or fail to list.
- The primary purpose of this position is to serve as a senior professional mechanical engineer, performing design duties in support of a military installation or complex. Leads a design team of lower graded engineers/architects from a variety of disciplines and technical staff on larger more complex multi-phase projects.
- Performs planning and design work for substantial multi-phase new construction, renovation, and improvement projects for a variety of real property facilities, including utility systems, utilizing a professional knowledge of mechanical engineering.
- Serves as consulting mechanical engineer on all design aspects of assigned projects. Coordinates the preparation of and reviews A&E statements of work (SOW). Coordinates projects with other engineers in other disciplines or with architects.
- Keeps abreast of emerging technologies to ensure programmed development will not prematurely become obsolete. In conjunction with the primary duty of engineering design, on a less frequent basis performs work in the construction management, programming/base development, and/or operations and maintenance (O&M) functions.
- Complies with health, safety, and environmental rules and procedures and performs work in a manner that enhances the safety of the work environment.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel for temporary duty required
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Federal Employees, VEOA, Individuals with Disabilities, Military Spouses, and Former Overseas Employees. See Job Summary for further information on "Who May Apply".
Questions? This job is open to 5 groups.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Males must be registered for Selective Service, see www.sss.gov.
- This posn is subject to provisions of the DoD Priority Placement Program
- Disclosure of Political Appointments
- This is a designated drug testing position
- A SECRET Security Clearance is required for this position
- PCS costs WILL NOT be paid
ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
1. Work may occasionally require travel away from the normal duty station on military and commercial aircraft.
2. Work requires employee to drive a motor vehicle. An appropriate, valid driver's license is required for the position.
3. Must obtain and maintain the appropriate security clearance.
4. This is a drug testing position. Incumbent will be subject to random testing for drug use.
5. May occasionally be required to work overtime, weekends, or holidays.
QualificationsBasic Requirement for GS-0830 MECHANICAL ENGINEER:
A Bachelor's degree (or higher degree) in Engineering. To be acceptable, the program must: (1) lead to a bachelor's degree in a school of engineering with at least one program accredited by ABET; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statistics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics.
Combination of Education and Experience: College-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying professional engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. Click here to view occupational requirements for this position.
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience for GS-0830-12 which includes professional knowledge and abilities applicable to a broad range of mechanical engineering duties; ability to modify standard practices and adapt equipment or techniques to solve a variety of problems; ability to adapt precedents or make significant departures from previous approaches to similar projects in order to provide for the specialized requirements of some projects; and ability to apply the standard practices of related engineering disciplines and architecture as they relate to engineering design; broad understanding of state and local jurisdictions over the use of land and natural resources, the construction of facilities and utilities, and the distribution of utilities services This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the GS-11 or above grade/level or equivalent in the federal service.
FEDERAL TIME-IN-GRADE (TIG) REQUIREMENT FOR GENERAL SCHEDULE (GS) POSITIONS: Applicants must have served at least 52 weeks at the GS-11 or higher grade (or equivalent in an alternate pay system) within the Federal Civil Service to be considered for referral. TIG applies if you are in a current GS position or held a GS position within the previous 52 weeks.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1. Professional knowledge of a broad range of mechanical engineering concepts, principles, and practices and extensive familiarity with other engineering disciplines and architecture.
2. Knowledge of a broad range of engineering and construction standards, methods, practices, and techniques, materials, and equipment to determine compliance with federal, state, and local codes and regulations; of standard contracting regulations, practices, and procedures as it relates to facilities engineering; knowledge of health, safety, and environmental requirements as outlined in applicable standards, regulations, and/or technical orders; of environmental principles, practices, procedures, laws, regulations, and current legislative issues; of work classifications and the regulatory and statutory restrictions on the expenditures of appropriated and non-appropriated funds.
3. Knowledge of automated data processing concepts, systems capabilities, and economic usage to effectively accomplish assigned functions; and knowledge of program planning and budgeting cycles, financial control and budget systems, and management.
4. Ability to plan, conduct, and record site/facility surveys and inspections.
5. Ability to research, analyze, interpret, and apply rules, regulations, and procedures in a variety of situations and recommend timely and economical solutions.
6. Ability to plan and organize work and coordinate the work of other engineering disciplines and architects; and ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing and maintain good working relations.
7. Knowledge of program planning and budgeting cycles, financial control and budget systems, and management.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
IF USING EDUCATION TO QUALIFY: You MUST provide transcripts to support your educational claims. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible click here. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated well qualified or above for this position. You must submit a copy of the agency notice, your most recent performance rating, and your most recent SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
Current Federal Civilian employees may apply for temporary and term positions and if selected, a break in service of more than three (3) calendar days may be required prior to appointment to the position.
90-Day Register: This announcement may result in a 90-day register that may be used to fill like vacancies for 90 days after the closing date. Applicants may be referred for consideration as vacancies occur.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
The resume/documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "insufficient information" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
Applicants who meet the requirements for and apply as a non-competitive eligible that meet minimal qualifications and other requirements of this position, will be given consideration as a non-competitive candidate and will be referred unless blocked by an individual with priority/preference.
Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Resume (your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications)
- If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent (latest) version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent." It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and dates of employment (i.e., hours per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position.
3. Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section below). Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name, address, phone number, and last four digits of your social security number.
Background checks and security clearance
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application. Other documents may be required based on the eligibility/eligibilities you are claiming. Click here to view the AF Civilian Employment Eligibility Guide and the required documents you must submit to substantiate the eligibilities you are claiming.
- Online Application - Questionnaire
- Resume - must include beginning and ending month and year for each employment period, hours worked and supervisor
- Transcripts - if qualifying based on education or positive education series (can be a copy)
- Registration/License - active, current registration/license if applicable for the position
- Veterans' Preference - a copy of your DD Form 214, which must include character of service or a Statement of Service/Proof of Service which must include service dates and character of service. In addition, if claiming 10-point preference you must submit a VA Letter or a disability determination from a branch of the Armed Forces (or documentation of purple heart, if applicable) and a SF 15 (Application for 10-point veteran preference).
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 01/03/2018
To preview the Application Questionnaire, please click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10102167
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the application questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Application button at the end of the process.
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application. The Vacancy ID is 10102167
PLEASE NOTE: It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered and/or uploaded, (i.e., resume) is received, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. You may verify your documents have been processed with your application package successfully. You can access your USAJOBS account to do so by clicking here. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
Human Resources WILL NOT modify or change any answers submitted by an applicant.
Agency contact information
Total Force Service Center
8517 20th Street
Elmendorf AFB, AK
Once your application package is received an acknowledgement email will be sent.
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility and qualifications for consideration. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
To check the status of your application or return to a previous or incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account, select My Applications, and click on the more information link under the application status for this position.
If you do not provide an email address, you are responsible for checking status updates and notifications in USAJOBS. Hard copy notifications will not be sent to you.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a Case-by-Case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/486945800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.