Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
About the Position:
-This position may be filled by temporary promotion or reassignment.
- Temporary promotion/reassignment may be extended up to a maximum of five years.
-Competitive temporary promotion or reassignment may be made permanent without further competition.
The US Army Natick Soldier Research, Development and Engineering Center (NSRDEC) is a Customer-Driven, Customer-Focused organization, and is internationally known as a preeminent provider of research, development, engineering and integration services in the areas of soldier and squad protection and systems integration, military rations and field feeding equipment, military parachuting and airdrop systems, and expeditionary basing. Through our research in areas such as materials sciences, biochemistry, human performance and human sciences; technology development and integration; and systems engineering, product development and support the NSRDEC plays a vital role in maximizing the effectiveness of America's military. Help shape our future to become the Leader in Empowering the World's Most Capable Soldiers.
We are conveniently located on the shores of Lake Cochituate, in Natick, MA, (a suburb of Boston, near Routes 9, 90, 95 and 495). Parking is free and access to site facilities is available to include an on-site federal credit union, recreational facilities (swimming pool, fitness facility, softball field, and basketball courts), barbershop, dining facility, and post-exchange store. Additional information on the town of Natick, MA can be found at:
Who May Apply:
Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
- Current Department of Army Civilian Employees
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan
- Priority Placement Program (PPP), Program S (Military Spouse) registrant
As a Mechanical/Aerospace Engineer working for the Aerial Delivery Directorate, you will serve as a systems engineer in the specialty area of parachute and airdrop component applied mechanics and structures, with responsibility for planning and conducting airdrop development assignments to establish and define engineering requirements and design criteria for developmental and improved airdrop systems and for the design and development of Army materiel that require an airdrop capability. Specifically, you will:
- Provide system engineering capability in the disciplines of applied mechanics and structures at the bench level. Position's work and professional knowledge are interdisciplinary in the fields of mechanical and aerospace engineering with applicable professional field experience and qualifications in the airdrop technical area, with special emphasis on personnel airdrop items.
- Plan and conduct studies on airdrop systems.
- Conduct complete development of airdrop products including detailed structures, dynamics, shock & vibration, kinetics, design studies to establish design data and requirements for specific exploratory, advanced & engineering development for improved airdrop systems.
- Perform detailed analyses of advanced airdrop systems to assess the adequacy of design and devises techniques to increase their performance.
- Analyze test data, reports, and calculations, develops and modifies equations for analyses of solution of specific problems.
- Present detailed reports with findings, supporting data, and conclusions.
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Status Army Candidates, Military Spouse PPP Matches, ICTAP Eligibles
Questions? This job is open to 2 groups.
Conditions Of Employment
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret Clearance
- Annual Financial Disclosure Required
- Acquisition Certification in Engineering Level II w/in 24 mos
- Overnight Business Travel is up to 25% of the time
- See Other Requirements Below
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Appointment is subject to the completion of a favorable suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a background investigation.
- Direct deposit of pay is required.
QualificationsIn order to qualify, you must meet the education and experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
THIS POSITION HAS A MANDATORY EDUCATION REQUIREMENT. Bachelor's Degree in professional engineering OR Combination of Education/Experience - college level education/experience that furnished (1) knowledge of physical/mathematical science underlying professional engineering & (2) understanding (theoretical/practical) of engineering sciences/techniques & applications to a branch of engineering. This must be demonstrated by: (1) Professional Engineer Registration or (2) Written test or (3) Specific Academic Courses - 60 semester hours in physical, mathematical, & engineering sciences or (4) Related Curriculum - Completion of bachelor's degree in engineering technology/professional field provided applicant has 1 year of professional engineering experience under professional engineering supervision/guidance.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
To qualify based on your experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as: (1) organizing, and directing basic and applied research, technology integration, product development, production engineering, testing and standardization pertaining to a variety of advanced parachute and airdrop components/structures; (2) experience in complex analyses in statics, dynamics, shock and vibration, which relates to the behavior of airdrop systems and major sub-systems; (3) analyzes test data, reports, and calculations pertaining to applied mechanics and structures; (4) develop airdrop design for items such as, vehicles, missile systems, self-propelled weapon systems, communication equipment, airdroppable and helicopter transportable modular combat engineer construction equipment, etc.; and (5)experience in building customer/partnership initiatives between different organizations. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-11).
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Customer Service
- Engineering and Technology
- Planning and Evaluating
- Problem Solving
Time in Grade Requirement: Applicants who have held a General Schedule (GS) position within the last 52 weeks must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the next lower grade or equivalent (GS-11).
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 16 position
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Background checks and security clearance
The documents you are required to submit vary based on the authority you are using to apply (i.e., applying as a veteran, applying as a current permanent Federal employee, applying as a reinstatement, etc). Please review the following links to see which documents you need to provide to prove your eligibility to apply: Applicant Merit Checklist and Proof of Eligibility.
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application will be marked as incomplete and you will not receive consideration for this position.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
- Proof of Eligibility to Apply: Your application must include the documents which prove you are eligible to apply for the vacancy. The Proof of Eligibility document describes authorities commonly used in merit promotion recruitment and what document(s) are required to prove you meet the requirements of the authority. You must meet the requirements of at least one of the authorities listed in the Who May Apply section above to receive further consideration.
- Time-in-grade documentation: If you are applying for a higher grade and your SF-50 has an effective date within the past year, it may not clearly demonstrate you meet the one year time-in-grade requirement so you will need to provide an SF-50 which clearly demonstrates you meet the time-in-grade requirements (examples of appropriate SF-50s include Promotions, Within-grade Grade/Range Increases, and SF-50s with an effective date more than one year old).
- This position has an individual occupational requirement and/or allows for substitution of education for experience. If you meet this requirement based on education you MUST submit a copy of your transcript with your application package or you will be rated ineligible. See: Transcripts and Licenses
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 01/03/2018 to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
- Follow the prompts to select your résumé and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
- It is your responsibility to verify that your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) is complete, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
- Additional information on how to complete the online application process and submit your online application may be found on the USA Staffing Applicant Resource Center.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
Agency contact information
Army Applicant Help Desk
DO NOT MAIL
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a Case-by-Case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/486266900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.