This National Guard position is for a STRATEGIC PLANS AND TRAINING OFFICER, Position Description Number D1779000 and is part of the NJ JFHQ, National Guard.Learn more about this agency
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment. Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
As a STRATEGIC PLANS AND TRAINING OFFICER, GS-0340-12, you will:
- Serve as the senior strategic and long-range planner and consultant responsible for developing the Joint Force Headquarters-State view of the future and implement detailed strategic policy, plans, initiatives, and concepts.
- Evaluate and recommend planning strategies to develop, implement and sustain the Joint Force Headquarters Strategic Plan.
- Conduct statewide analysis for strategic planning, re-engineering issues, and program integration.
- Keep abreast of technical advances in the test and evaluation field, analyze and recommend adjustments and changes to policies, programs and projects to improve operations and efficiencies throughout the state.
- Provide direction and guidance to directors and staff in enhancement measurement tools and management improvement ideas.
- Conduct and oversee the completion of detailed studies in response to the state Adjutant General and Chief Joint Staff requests and prepare executive summaries, information papers, and briefings for internal and external audiences.
- Provide oversight on the coordination and administration of activities and programs which integrate military and non-military agencies and international programs as directed by NGB, Combatant Commanders (CoComs), Department of State, and other appropriate tasking authorities.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…United States Citizens
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- National Guard Membership is required.
- Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
Compatible military grade and assignment required prior to the effective date of placement. This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state's National Guard. Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact a National Guard recruiter prior to applying for this position.
Areas of Consideration:
Areas I: All current, permanent technicians within the New Jersey Army National Guard
Areas II: All current members of the New Jersey Army National Guard
Military Grades: O-4 to O-5
Compatible Military Assignments: OAOC: 59
Selectee has two (2) years to obtain required MOS
Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
QualificationsGENERAL EXPERIENCE: Experience, education or training in the following:
- Managing or directing one or more programs
- Supervisory, managerial, professional, or technical work
- Management of principles, practices, methods and techniques
- Computer and automation systems
- Analyzing problems
- Identifying significant factors
- Gathering pertinent data and recognizing solutions
- Preparing reports, plans, policies and various correspondence
- Evaluating objectives and develop plans
- Knowledge of the organization and its mission
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
Administration and Management, Decision Making, and Planning and Evaluating
Background checks and security clearance
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment and duties performed.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Agency contact information
3650 Saylors Pond Road
Fort Dix, NJ
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Army National Guard Units (Title 32/Title 5), what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a Case-by-Case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/485333500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.