The employee serves as a Mathematical Statistician in the National Center for Statistics and Analysis (NCSA). In the capacity, the Mathematical Statistician plans and executes analyses designed to improve quantitative knowledge if the causes and results of motor vehicle traffic crashes, and in the development and implementation new and improved ways of using mathematical and statistical techniques in the measurement of highway traffic safety.Learn more about this agency
The ideal candidate for this position is highly self-motivated and possesses excellent mathematical and statistical analytical capabilities. The ideal candidate has excellent oral and written communication skills, since they will be writing analysis reports. NHTSA is seeking a candidate capable of working cooperatively with other offices within NHTSA, to understand countermeasures using extensive crash data bases. Experience working with large data bases and experience working with SAS programming is preferred.
All offers for newly appointed federal employees will be made at the Step 1.
NHTSA is a Local 3313 Bargaining Unit Agency.
As a Mathematical Statistician, you will:
- Plan and execute analyses designed to improve quantitative knowledge of the causes and results of motor vehicle traffic crashes, and in the development and implementation new and improved ways of using mathematical and statistical techniques in the measurement of highway traffic safety.
- Be responsible for preparing clear and accurate reports of the study results. These may include recommendations for improving the data collection process or methods of compensating for existing data limitations, as appropriate. The employee prepare and deliver briefings and technical papers to management and users both within and outside NHTSA. Maintain a familiarity with field data collection procedures, data retrieval and techniques, and computer software analysis packages in order to perform specialized data retrievals.
- Develop specifications and plan and perform the work withing NHTSA and NCSA policy guidelines. Prepare work statements, evaluate contract proposals, chair source evaluation committees, and monitor contracts.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Applications will be accepted from any U.S. Citizen.
Current/former eligible employees and VEOA eligible veterans are encouraged to also apply to: NHTSA.NSA-2018-0002
Questions? This job is open to 2 groups.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Applications will be accepted from any U.S. Citizen.
- Submit application and resume online by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date
- Provide all required documents by closing date
- May be used to fill similar positions within 60 days for this location.
- Announcement also advertised Merit Promotion: NHTSA.NSA-2018-0002
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- SELECTIVE SERVICE: Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for the Selective Service.
- DEU REQUIREMENTS: Applicants selected under delegated examining procedures may be required to successfully complete a one-year probationary period (unless already completed).
- Position is subject to background investigation.
QualificationsTo meet the minimum qualifications for this position, you must meet the MANDATORY EDUCATION REQUIREMENT for the series, provide a copy of transcripts for verification, and meet either the education or experience qualifications for the grade at which you are requesting consideration.
TO QUALIFY FOR THE GS -11,
On Education, you must have :
- 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree OR Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree.
- Experience performing analyses and general statistical research using large data systems.
- Experience using various statistical computer software.
To qualify for the Grade 12,
On Experience, you must have at least one year of equal or equivalent, which includes:
In addition to the GS-11 specialized experience, you must have:
- Experience working with senior staff member to identify problems and using existing data to produce solutions within the limitations of available data.
To qualify for the Grade 13,
On Experience, you must have at least one year of equal or equivalent, which includes:
In addition to the GS-12 specialized experience, you must have:
- Experience with computer operations and the application of computer programs designed to retrieve and analyze data from data files in order to provide descriptions of current status and trends.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
MANDATORY EDUCATION REQUIREMENT:
A. Degree: that included 24 semester hours of mathematics and statistics, of which at least 12 semester hours were in mathematics and 6 semester hours were in statistics.
B. Combination of education and experience -- at least 24 semester hours of mathematics and statistics, including at least 12 hours in mathematics and 6 hours in statistics, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Evaluation of Education:
Courses acceptable toward meeting the mathematics course requirement of paragraphs A or B above must have included at least four of the following: differential calculus, integral calculus, advanced calculus, theory of equations, vector analysis, advanced algebra, linear algebra, mathematical logic, differential equations, or any other advanced course in mathematics for which one of these was a prerequisite. Courses in mathematical statistics or probability theory with a prerequisite of elementary calculus or more advanced courses will be accepted toward meeting the mathematics requirements, with the provision that the same course cannot be counted toward both the mathematics and the statistics requirement.
Displaced employees may be eligible for ICTAP or CTAP priority consideration. For more information, please review the OPM Employee's Guide to Career Transition.
EEO STATEMENT: The Department of Transportation (DOT) maintains a model federal work environment that is free of discrimination. DOT ensures equal employment opportunity for employees and applicants for employment, regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), genetic information, age, disability, sexual orientation, or protected activity.
How You Will Be Evaluated
DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE: PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. If your resume/ application does not support your questionnaire answers, we will not allow credit for your response(s). Your resume must contain sufficiently detailed information upon which to make a qualification determination. Please ensure that your resume contains specific information such as position titles, beginning and ending dates of employment for each position, average number of hours worked per week, and if the position is/was in the Federal government, you should provide the position series and grade level.
If you meet the qualification requirements, your application will be placed in one of four categories: Platinum, Gold, Silver or Bronze, which is based upon your responses to the vacancy questions. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veteran's preference that have provided supporting documents will receive selection priority over non-veterans. The top-rated applications will be reviewed for the quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position.
Your application will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. The answers you select in the on-line process must be substantiated in your application package. If upon review, it is determined that your described work history, competencies, and/or supporting documents do not support your answer choices, your application may be updated or you may not be referred to the selecting official. Please ensure that your work history provides enough details to support your answers. The Automated Staffing Office is ultimately responsible for determining your final rating.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
The following is a list of documents that are only required based on the type of position and consideration for which you are applying. Please review each of the following sections to determine which, if any, additional documents you need to provide with your application.
TRANSCRIPTS - verifying that you meet the stated MANDATORY EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS for the series or SF-50 showing that you have already qualified and worked in the federal service in this series.
TRANSCRIPTS (Grade-11) verifying that you meet the stated education requirements, if you are qualifying based on education.
VETERANS: Your last DD214, Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty, that shows the type of discharge and all dates of active duty is required to verify your eligibility. it need not be official.
- If you are applying to a vacancy opened to all US Citizens under category rating and wish to be considered as a preference eligible, you need to submit a copy of your DD214.
- If you are claiming preference eligibility as a disabled veteran, you must submit proof of entitlement of this preference which is normally a valid letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs certifying to the present existence of the service-connected disability and indicating the percentage of your disability. An SF-15 is desired, but not required.
- If you are applying to a vacancy opened Status and you are requesting consideration under Veteran's Employment Opportunity Act(VEOA) (https://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/shav/#veoa), you need to provide a copy of your last DD214,which verifies your military service dates, reason for separation, and eligibility for consideration under the Veterans Employment Opportunity Act.
DISPLACED EMPLOYEES: If requesting consideration under the Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or Interagency CTAP program (ICTAP), you must meet the well qualified standards for this vacancy (meeting minimum requirements for position and scoring at least an 85 or falling in the Gold Category) and provide all of the following documents:
- your most recent performance appraisal,
- the proof of eligibility letter from the Agency, and
- your most current SF-50, displaying current series and grade.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
You MUST submit a copy of your transcript if you want to substitute your education for experience. If you claim qualifications based on education, and do not submit a transcript, your education will not be used in making a qualification determination and you may be found "not qualified".
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
You must submit a complete application package (including resume, vacancy questions and supporting documents) no later than midnight Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement.
- To begin, click the Apply Online button on the job announcement.
- Follow the directions to register, submit all required documents and complete the assessment questionnaire.
- You may review your saved application(s) at https://my.usajobs.gov.
Agency contact information
Automated Staffing Office
1200 New Jersey Ave SE / HAHR - 50
Washington, District of Columbia
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
You may check your application status into by logging into your USAJOBS account. Within two weeks of the closing date, your application will be reviewed and rated. Ratings will be determined based on the documents and information received by the closing date. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration. If you are selected for an interview, the hiring manager will contact you directly. Once a hiring decision is made, we will notify all applicants of their final status.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a Case-by-Case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/484483000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.