The United States Postal Service Office of Inspector General's (USPS OIG) mission is to promote integrity and accountability to minimize costs, and prevent and detect fraud, waste, abuse and mismanagement.Learn more about this agency
For further information, please refer to our website at:
The USPS OIG's Office of Audit is seeking highly qualified applicant(s) to fill our Auditor/Program Analyst (Evaluator) position(s) in the Cost and Pricing Directorate, located in Arlington, VA. This directorate conducts performance audits and reviews in the areas of cost and pricing. This includes auditing the data collection systems, processes and procedures the Postal Service uses to prepare its annual compliance reports. These audits also evaluate Postal Service's compliance with the Postal Accountability Enhancement Act.
The successful candidate must be highly motivated and specifically demonstrate experience and skill in conducting program and performance audits, and/or have experience in regulatory economics, industrial engineering, data science, operations research, and Postal Service cost and pricing.
NOTE: There are multiple vacancies in Arlington, VA, that may be filled from this vacancy announcement. Multiple referral lists will be issued throughout the course of this vacancy announcement. The first list of candidates from which management may make a selection may be issued after the job has been open 15 days. Additional lists of candidates will be issued as needed until the announcement closes on12/13/2017 . The closing date of the announcement may be changed to close on an earlier date or extended, as necessary, until vacancies are filled.
The USPS OIG uses a Pay Banding system, which is equivalent to the Federal GS scale. Grade and salary determinations will be made based upon a candidate's education and professional experience.
This position is being advertised at the Journey Band level, equivalent to a GS-09 - GS-13. The salary range for this position is $54,972 - $123,234. The salary figures include locality pay. Career ladder to GS-13 equivalent at management's discretion.
NOTE: This vacancy is also being announced for internal merit promotion. Selections will be made from either vacancy announcement.
Please note that the duties and responsibilities associated with this position may vary based upon the agency's needs at the time of hire. The following description of major duties and responsibilities is only intended to give applicants a general overview of the expectations.
- Performs regulatory economics and economics analysis
- Performs operational research, lean six sigma, or data science
- Performs assignments requiring the application of fundamental principles, concepts, techniques, and guidelines in the area of auditing or audit evaluation
- Participates as a team member and/or leads an audit team
- Evaluates agency programs and operations for compliance and adherence to regulations and adequacy of internal controls over operations
- Makes recommendations for corrective actions and writes audit working papers and reports utilizing generally accepted accounting and auditing principles
50% or less - May require up to 50% travel
Who May Apply
This job is open to…All U.S. Citizens
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
Conditions Of Employment
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must be able to pass a drug screening and physical examination
- Must be able to pass a background investigation
- Must be able to obtain and maintain an MBI security clearance
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a government-issued credit card
- May be required to successfully complete a 12-month probationary period
You must have the experience, knowledge and skills as listed in EACH of the evaluation factors. Failure to demonstrate that you meet all of the evaluation factor requirements as listed below will result in a score of zero (0); an ineligible status, and you will not be referred for further consideration. Include your major accomplishments relevant to the position requirements in your resume.
- Knowledge of auditing standards, generally accepted accounting and auditing principles; auditing concepts, methodologies, procedures, analytical techniques, and internal control reviews
- Skills in analyzing various information/problems and presenting findings and recommendations
- Ability to express information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately
- Ability to write in a clear, concise, organized, and convincing manner for the intended audience
- Ability to apply effective project management and work on a team, whether as a team member or leader, to accomplish project objectives and goals
- Knowledge in auditing or evaluating program operations
QualificationsCandidates will be evaluated on the skills that they possess that are directly related to the duties of the position and the experience, education and training that indicate the applicant's ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position. Only those candidates who meet all qualification and eligibility requirements and who submit the required information by 11:59 PM EST on 12/13/2017will be considered.
You will no longer be considered for this position if you: fail to respond to all of the questions in the self-assessment questionnaire; fail to address a factor in the narrative section (no response or "See resume" or similar language will be scored a zero (0) ); or receive a zero (0) rating on any evaluation factor.
In each narrative section you must also indicate the reference person(s) who could verify your achievements. Include their full name, title and phone number. Your supervisor may also be contacted to verify any work-related statements you write.
Failure to demonstrate that you meet all evaluation factor requirements will result in a score of zero (0). Upon receipt of a zero score, you will be deemed "not minimally qualified," and you will not be referred for further consideration.
You must meet ALL of the minimum qualifications listed below.
- Bachelor's degree in economics, industrial engineering, accounting or any other degree that includes 24 semester hours in accounting
- At least four (4) years' experience conducting six sigma or program and performance audits. Specialized experience in Postal Service operations,cost and pricing, industrial engineering, data science, and operations research can be substituted for one to three years of audit experience
- Economics or Industrial Engineering Degree
- Advanced Degree
- Professional certification(s), i.e.: CPA, CIA, SixSigma, etc.
- Specialized audit experience to include Six Sigma or auditing Postal Service operations and data systems related to cost and pricing,; and conducting complex enterprise-wide audits
- TeamMate Experience
Education must be accredited by an institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation here: www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred. Special Instructions for Candidates with Foreign Education: Education completed outside the United States must be deemed equivalent to that gained in U.S. education programs. You must submit all necessary documents to a private U.S. credential evaluation service to interpret equivalency of your education against courses given in U.S. accredited colleges and universities. For further information visit: http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
Pay is only part of the compensation you will earn working for the USPS OIG. We offer a broad array of benefits programs:
Health, Dental, Vision, Life and Long Term Care Insurances with Flexible Spending options.
For more information about these programs visit www.opm.gov/insure.
Retirement and Thrift Savings. For more information about these programs see www.opm.gov/retire and http://www.tsp.gov/.
Flexible Work Schedules. USPS OIG offers a range of family friendly flexibilities including flexible work schedules, telework and employee assistance programs.
Leave and Holidays. In addition to 10 paid holidays each year, you will earn 13 days of paid sick leave and 13 to 26 paid vacation days each year depending on your years of service.
For further information, please refer to our website at:
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Status: Exempt (Nonexempt employees are entitled to overtime pay; Exempt employees are not).
This agency provides Reasonable Accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you require accommodations for any part of the application and/or hiring process, please call 703-248-2210. The decision on granting an accommodation request will be made on a case by case basis.
How You Will Be Evaluated
The Human Resources Office will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure that you meet the minimum qualifications required for this position. You will no longer be considered for this position if you: fail to respond to all of the questions in the self-assessment questionnaire; fail to address a factor in the narrative section or state "see resume" or similar language; receive a zero (0) rating on any evaluation factor; fail to attach all required documentation; if your application materials indicate that you are not minimally-qualified for this position; or if you fail to qualify on the interview and/or writing assessment. Only the top-rated candidates will be referred to a review official or the selecting official for further consideration. If your application is referred to the review official, the reviewer will compare your self-assessment questionnaire responses to your resume and supporting documentation. It is essential that your resume and supporting documentation provide sufficient information to substantiate your responses to the self-assessment questionnaire. If your questionnaire responses are not adequately substantiated, the review official will amend your rating to more accurately reflect the level of competency indicated. Top-rated applicants may be required to participate in an interview and a writing assessment. Your rating may be further adjusted or rated as ineligible by the review official or the selecting official based on your interview or writing assessment performance. Once all applicant scores are finalized, the selecting official will make a final decision. NOTE: If you receive a zero (0) rating on any evaluation factor or on the interview, you will be considered NOT MINIMALLY QUALIFIED for the position and rated ineligible.
Background checks and security clearance
You must submit all required documents by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date of this announcement, Vacancy Announcement 2018-09-10081219-KC, by closing date 12/13/2017.
1. RESUME. Required: When completing your online application or uploading your resume, you must categorize it as a "Resume" document). IMPORTANT: You will be asked questions in the self-assessment questionnaire. It is essential that your resume and supporting documentation provide sufficient information to substantiate your responses to the self-assessment questionnaire.
2. COMPLETE OCCUPATIONAL QUESTIONNAIRE. Click the "Apply Online" button and follow the prompts to complete the Occupational Questionnaire. (Required: You must click on "Submit My Answers" button at the end of the Questionnaire to complete this process)
3. UPLOAD SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS which may include:
- Certificates or Licenses, if applicable. Upload and save as "Other" document.
- Veterans Preference Documentation. If you are claiming veterans preference you must submit Member 4 copy of your DD-214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and/or other proof of veterans preference eligibility including your VA letter, form SF-15 (www.opm.gov/forms) and all required documents related to your SF-15 claim. Veterans can request the Member 4 copy of their DD-214 at http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records, and can download a copy of their VA letter from https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits-portal/ebenefits.portal. (If applicable to you, you are Required to upload each veterans document and categorize as "DD-214" or "SF-15" or "Other Veterans Document")
- SF-50 if you are or have been a Federal employee to demonstrate tenure and competitive/excepted service for eligibility purposes. (If applicable to you, you are Required to upload each applicable SF-50 and categorize as a "SF-50" document.)
- TRANSCRIPTS from an accredited college or university. The information presented in the transcript must be verifiable and should contain the name of the institution, applicant's name, list of completed courses, semester hours, GPA, date and type of Bachelor's Degree issued. Education completed outside the United States must be deemed equivalent to that gained in conventional/accredited U.S. education programs to be acceptable for Federal employment. Attach document verifying that it has been deemed equivalent. (Required: Upload and save as "Transcript" document.)
- PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL dated within the last 15 months. This is required from all applicants including Federal, USPS, OIG, and private sector employees. If a PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL is not available, you must submit a separate statement with the reason a performance appraisal is not available. (Required: Upload and save as "Other" document.) NOTE: An SF50 IS NOT acceptable as a performance appraisal.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date, 12/13/2017, to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply Online to access an online application. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents.
- You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account or you may need to create a new account. You will be taken to an online application. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation, and submit the application.
- You will receive an email notification when your application has been received for the announcement.
- To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the More Information link for this position. The Application Status page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and your responses submitted to the online application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- You are strongly urged to read and print the entire vacancy announcement.
Agency contact information
1735 N. Lynn Street
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Office of the Inspector General, USPS, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Once the Occupational Questionnaire has been received you will receive an acknowledgement e-mail that your submission was successful. After a review of your application package has been completed, you will be notified of your rating and/or referral to the Selecting Official.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/484317300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.