This announcement has been ammended to include the new closing date of February 7, 2018.Learn more about this agency
Please DO NOT USE the APPLY ONLINE BUTTON when applying for this announcement. Your application material should be sent to the email address indicated in the How To Apply section below.
Become a part of our mission to maintain and strengthen the vitality of the US science and engineering enterprise. For nearly 70 years, the National Science Foundation (NSF) has remained the premier Federal agency supporting basic research at the frontiers of discovery across all fields, as well as science and engineering education at all levels.
The Senior Executive Service (SES) covers managerial positions above GS-15 in the Federal Service. Persons appointed to the SES are eligible for health benefits, life insurance, social security, Federal retirement and thrift savings plan coverage, and participate in the Federal leave system. Career appointees are eligible for bonuses based on performance in addition to base pay. Competitive status is not required, veteran's preference does not apply and there are no grade restrictions. New appointees to the SES are required to serve a one-year probationary period.
Final selection of career appointees requires the approval of the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM). OPM approval will be based on the selectee's background in the following five executive core qualification areas: (1) Leading Change, (2) Leading People, (3) Results Driven Leadership, (4) Business Acumen, and (5) Building Coalitions. These areas are incorporated in the five executive/managerial requirements for the position. Information about the leadership requirements for SES-level positions is available on the OPM website.
This position may also be filled on a one-to-three year Senior Executive Service (SES) Limited Term Appointment or on an Intergovernmental Personnel Act (IPA) assignment basis. Under the provisions of the IPA, assignees remain on the payroll of his/her home institution and the institution continues to administer pay and benefits. The National Science Foundation (NSF) will reimburse the home institution for NSF's negotiated share of the costs.
The Division of Earth Sciences (EAR) supports proposals for research geared toward improving the understanding of the structure, composition, and evolution of the Earth, the life it supports, and the processes that govern the formation and behavior of the Earth’s materials. The results of this research will create a better understanding of the Earth’s changing environments, and the natural distribution of its mineral, water, biota, and energy resources and provide methods for predicting and mitigating the effects of geologic hazards such as earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, floods, and landslides. The two major components of the Division are the Disciplinary Programs Section and the Integrative Activities Section.
The Division Director has managerial and oversight responsibilities for the effective use of division staff and resources in meeting organizational goals and objectives. This includes directing the activities of the Division of Earth Sciences, assessing the needs and trends in geosciences research and education, developing breakthrough opportunities, implementing overall strategic planning, and policy setting. Supervises and provides leadership and guidance to senior EAR staff (Section Heads), program officers, administrative and support personnel. Determines funding requirements, prepares and justifies budget estimates, balances program needs, allocates resources, oversees the evaluation of proposals and recommendations for awards and declinations, and represents NSF to relevant external groups. Fosters partnerships with other Divisions, Directorates, Federal agencies, scientific organizations, and the academic community.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Applications accepted from U.S. Citizens. Recent changes in Federal Appropriations Law requires Non-Citizens to meet certain eligibility criteria to be considered. Therefore, Non-Citizens must certify eligibility by signing and attaching this Citizenship Affidavit to their application. Non-citizens who do not provide the affidavit at the time of application will be considered as an IPA only.
Questions? This job is open to 2 groups.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Background Investigation
1. Ph.D. or equivalent professional experience, or a combination of education and equivalent experience, in earth sciences or a closely related field (e.g. chemical and physical earth sciences, surficial earth processes, earth systems and modeling, or other related fields).
2. Substantial research contributions and strong evidence of scholarship in areas related to earth sciences as evidenced by publications, innovative leadership in research administration, and professional leadership and awards in these technical areas.
3. Skill in balancing complex and diverse program demands and available resources in response to major advances or changing needs of science and engineering research and technology.
4. Broad understanding of universities and other institutions where research and education in science and engineering is conducted, including knowledge of grant administration and fiscal management in earth sciences research support.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
1. Leading Change. Demonstrated ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Includes the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
2. Leading People. Demonstrated ability to lead people toward meeting the organization’s vision, mission, and goals. Includes the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
3. Results-Driven Leadership. Demonstrated ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Includes the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
4. Business Acumen. Demonstrated ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
5. Building Coalitions. Demonstrated ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
Applicants currently serving under a career Senior Executive Service (SES) appointment, eligible for reinstatement into SES, or have successfully completed a SES Candidate Development Program (CDP) approved by OPM are not required to address the Executive/Managerial Qualifications (ECQs/EMs); but a narrative statement for each of the Professional/Technical Qualifications (PTQs) is recommended.
For detailed guidance on ECQs, applicants are strongly encouraged to review the Office of Personnel Management's Guide to Senior Executive Service Qualifications.
You must submit all required information by the closing date. If materials are not received, your application will be evaluated solely on the information available and you may not receive full consideration or may not be considered eligible.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Applicants will be screened for basic eligibility according to the essential qualification requirements. Eligible applicants will be reviewed by an Evaluation Panel according to the criteria based on the qualification requirements. The best qualified candidates will be referred to the appropriate official who will recommend selection. All applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, marital status, physical disability, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit reason.
There are no questions to preview in the link below.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Please review your application packet to ensure that you have submitted all documentation that you want considered.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
You must submit your application so that it will be received by 11:59 PM Eastern time on the closing date of the announcement.
The individual selected will be required to file an "Executive Branch Personnel Public Financial Disclosure Report"(OGE-278) in accordance with the Ethics in Government Act of 1978.
You will need to successfully complete a background security investigation before you can be appointed into this position.
Ensure that your application includes the documents listed below and reflects your background in terms of the qualification requirements for the position.
1. Resume or other application format of your choice. Your application should contain the following information: Announcement number and your country of citizenship (Non-Citizens must certify eligibility by signing and attaching this Citizenship Affidavit to their application. Non-citizens who do not provide the affidavit at the time of application will be considered for IPA only.) Information about your education, your major, and type and year of degree(s); and Information about all your work experience, including job titles, duties, and accomplishments, employer's name and phone number, number of hours worked per week, starting and ending dates (month and year), and salary. If you have held various positions with the same employer, describe each separately.
2. Narrative statement addressing your background in terms of (a) the executive/managerial, and (b) the professional/technical requirements. Your responses should be clear, concise and show a level of accomplishment and a degree of responsibility.
3. Current Career SES. Current Career SES members and former SES members who have reinstatement eligibility to the Career SES must submit a Standard Form 50 showing Career SES status; OPM certified SES Candidate Development Program graduates must submit their Qualifications Review Board (QRB) certificate.
4. NSF Form 1232, Applicant Survey. We also ask that you complete and submit the Applicant Survey Form. This will help NSF to ensure that our recruiting efforts are attracting a diverse candidate pool; it will be used for statistical purposes only.
APPLICATION SUBMISSION: Applications must be received by the closing date on this announcement. Applications may be transmitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed or delivered to the following address:
National Science Foundation
Division of Human Resource Management
2415 Eisenhower Ave
Alexandria, VA 22314
Inquiries or questions should be directed to: Executive Personnel Staff at (703) 292-7493; hearing impaired individuals should call TDD (703) 292-8044 for assistance.
Additional information on the NSF mission, structure, programs, and operations may be accessed through our website. The NSF provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of this application and hiring process, please notify the point of contact on this job opportunity announcement.
IMPORTANT NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER OR DATE OF BIRTH ON YOUR APPLICATION DOCUMENTS.
Agency contact information
2415 Eisenhower Ave
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at National Science Foundation, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
The Evaluation Panel will rate and rank each eligible applicant based on the qualification requirements and refer the top candidate to the selecting official.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/483044300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.