By applying for this position with SBA's Office of Disaster Assistance, you can enjoy challenging but satisfying work and join a highly motivated and diverse team that helps families and businesses rebuild their lives after a disaster.Learn more about this agency
You will serve as a Legal Assistant for the Small Business Administration (SBA), Office of Disaster Assistance (ODA), Processing and Disbursement Center (PDC) in Fort Worth, Texas. You will be responsible for providing support for one or more of the following aspects: scanning and processing incoming mail, creating loan closing documents, appointment setting, collateral processing, and disbursing loan funds to borrowers.
As a Legal Assistant, some of your typical work assignments may include:
- Scheduling loan closing appointments via the automated appointment scheduler, providing information and customer service to disaster survivors, and creating individual and team production reports.
- Reviewing loan closing documents such as Uniform Commercial Code (UCC), deeds, and mortgages.
- Advising borrowers of the status of their loans, and review fully disbursed loan documents as requested by the case manager and attorney.
- Preparing and/or ensure all documents are prepared accurately based on policies and procedures using desktop computer and various software programs.
Occasional travel - On rare occasions, you may be required to travel to a disaster site during increased disaster activity.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…All USA Citizens
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Desirable Skillsets:
- Typing/keyboarding/data entry
- Proofreading documents for accuracy and completeness
- Assembling loan documents
- Good interpersonal skills
- Providing information and customer service
- Safeguarding confidential or Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
Mandatory Overtime is Required: In order to respond quickly and efficiently to disaster survivors, substantial compensated hours up to seven days a week and twelve to fourteen hours a day may be required.
QualificationsQualifying experience include:
- Preparing and proofing financial or legal documents.
- Reviewing for completeness (or processing) loan closing documents and/or real estate documents.
- Other experience that demonstrates the applicant possesses the knowledge, skill and ability to perform the duties of this position.
GS-05: Four years above high school. One year of full time academic study is defined as 30 semester hours, 45 quarters, or the equivalent in a college or university or at least 20 hours of classroom instruction per week for approximately 36 weeks in a business, secretarial or technical work.
Education and work experience may also be combined to qualify.
GS-6/7: Generally, there is no educational substitution at these grade levels.
Benefits include: Health Insurance, Annual Leave, and Sick Leave.
A security clearance is not required; however, you will be subject to a background check and must have a credit score of at least 500.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Specialized experience related to the occupation or education as described above.
Background checks and security clearance
RESUME AND UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS (IF USING EDUCATION TO QUALIFY FOR THE POSITION)
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
Send resume to PDCHR3@SBA.GOV
Agency contact information
Office of Disaster Personnel
13221 Woodland Park Rd
Herndon, VA 20171
Qualified applicants will be contacted by the Office of Disaster Personnel if selected.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/482029200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.