The Air Force recognizes the contributions of its people -active-duty, Guard, Reserve, civilians and even Civil Air Patrol volunteers engaged in missions - under the distinguished title "Airman." The title is not just an honorific. This title bears a responsibility. Airmen are part of the fight; part of the United States' response to the security challenges of this dynamic and threatening era. The Airmen of the Air University faculty support the Air Force by leveraging their vast intellectual capacity to analyze and propose solutions to the Service's and the nation's most pressing security challenges.Learn more about this agency
Together, the Airmen of the Air University faculty work to educate new generations of leaders; leaders equipped to recognize, analyze and solve the security challenges and overcome the operational problems they will face. At the same time, AU Airmen work directly for Air Force and Joint Force senior leadership, analyzing, testing and applying solutions. The results of these efforts have been, can be and certainly will be ... historic. If you are ready to take on the burden of being an Airman; to add the power of your mind coupled with your teaching and research talents, we are eager to learn more about you. This is exactly the kind of selfless commitment we want on our Air Force team!
The United States Air Force's School of Advanced Air and Space Studies invites applications for a post-doctoral fellowship position in strategy and security studies. In this fellowship, the faculty member will have the opportunity to deliver curricula for a year-long, in-resident program designed to prepare field-grade officers from the Air Force, Air National Guard, Air Force Reserve, Sister Services, and international officers as strategists. Additionally, the school expects the fellow to publish (especially their dissertation) and contribute to the academy, and to learn/provide institutional service to the School, Air University, the Air Force, and the Department of Defense.
Applications will be accepted from United States citizens (U.S. citizenship required at time of application).
Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. For additional information, click here.
- The focus of these positions is on teaching, scholarship and publication, and service to the University, the Air Force, and the nation. First and foremost, the aspiring applicant must be capable of becoming a highly capable instructor.
- These duties include teaching graduate seminars, mentoring students (from academics to writing), and supervising research projects. SAASS expects the fellow to learn to create graduate-level curriculum and deliver material using a Socratic method.
- The applicant must have the ability to conduct their own research and publish in peer-reviewed publications.
- Service includes a range of activities from school administration to support for mission requirements at the University, the Air Force, or the Department of Defense.
- The leadership at SAASS and Air University expect the fellow to travel, as directed, to support these activities.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Applications will be accepted from U.S. Citizens (U.S. citizenship required at time of application).
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Must be registered for Selective Service, see Legal and Regulatory Guide
- A security clearance is required
- If authorized, relocation expenses paid up to $10,000.
- A Ph.D. is required, ABD considered if degree awarded by 30 Jun 2018.
ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
You may be required to do some travel.
This job is being filled by an alternative hiring process and is not in the competitive civil service.
This is an Administratively Determined position in the excepted service.
* The position will be a one year appointment.
QualificationsIncumbent must possess a terminal degree in a relevant academic discipline such as international security studies, political science, history/military history, law (especially space law), and/or strategic studies. Degree must be awarded prior to 30 June 2018. The best candidate will have expertise in space policy and/or strategy. Expertise in cyber policy and/or strategy is also highly desired. The school desires the candidate have a strong desire to learn/provide curriculum creation, teaching, research methodology, original research, and scholarly publication.
Academic rank for the position is post-doctoral fellow at the Assistant Professor level.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
Knowledge of functions, structure, and operations of an accredited, graduate-level academic organization.
Ability lo communicate both orally and in writing.
Ability to leach graduate-level seminar courses in history, military history, political science, and national and international security studies.
Ability to conduct graduate-level research in primary source materials and develop cogent arguments based on findings.
Ability to guide graduate-level research in relevant source material and guide students to cogent arguments based on the findings.
Ability to write and edit to publishable scholarly standards.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
ARE YOU USING YOUR EDUCATION TO QUALIFY? You MUST provide transcripts to support your educational claims. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
Current Federal Civilian employees may apply for temporary and term positions and if selected, a break in service of more than three (3) calendar days may be required prior to appointment to the position.
Temporary and Term Appointments: If you are selected for a temporary or term position, your appointment may be extended to the maximum period allowed by law without further competition.
90-Day Register: This announcement may result in a 90-day register that may be used to fill like vacancies for 90 days after the closing date. Applicants may be referred for consideration as vacancies occur.
Selective Service: Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. For additional information, click here.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
Incentives: Recruitment and/or retention incentives may or may not be used.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Your responses to the questionnaire may be compared to the documents you submit. The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "insufficient information" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Resume (your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications)
- If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent (latest) version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent." It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and dates of employment (i.e., hours per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position.
3. Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section below). Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name, address, phone number, and last four digits of your social security number.
Background checks and security clearance
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application for this Public Notice:
- Online Application - Questionnaire
- Resume - must include beginning and ending month and year for each employment period
- Transcripts - must contain the university logo (can be a copy)
- Registration/License - active, current registration/license if applicable for the position
- Veterans' Preference - a copy of your DD Form 214, which must include character of service or a Statement of Service/Proof of Service which must include service dates and character of service. In addition, if claiming 10-point preference you must submit a VA Letter or a disability determination from a branch of the Armed Forces (or documentation of purple heart, if applicable) and a SF 15 (Application for 10-point veteran preference).
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 11/01/2017
To preview the Application Questionnaire, please click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10057069
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the application questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Application button at the end of the process.
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application. The Vacancy ID is 10057069
PLEASE NOTE: It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered and/or uploaded, (i.e., resume) is received, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. You may verify your documents have been processed with your application package successfully. You can access your USAJOBS account to do so by clicking here. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
Human Resources WILL NOT modify or change any answers submitted by an applicant.
Agency contact information
AddressAETC Maxwell Faculty
50 Lemay Plaza South
Maxwell AFB, AL 36112
Once your application package is received an acknowledgement email will be sent.
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application.Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility and qualifications for consideration. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
To check the status of your application or return to a previous or incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account, select My Applications, and click on the more information link under the application status for this position.
If you do not provide an email address, you are responsible for checking status updates and notifications in USAJOBS. Hard copy notifications will not be sent to you.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/480912900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.